The Lotus Cars Community banner

61 - 80 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
So do you have a thread here that talks about your car's conversion from the 1988 CIS setup to the SE spec stuff? I would be interested in hearing about that more indepth and seeing pics of that process.

BTW, the new wheels look great.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,650 Posts
First of all, let me say :up: :up: :up:
:cool:

Well yeah, the bigger 17" wheels and tires WILL be heavier than the OEM 15s...

Did you get the 'pocketing' option on your wheels? This reduces their weight a bit.

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
So do you have a thread here that talks about your car's conversion from the 1988 CIS setup to the SE spec stuff? I would be interested in hearing about that more indepth and seeing pics of that process.

BTW, the new wheels look great.
I don't have a thread on that, and I didn't really take any pics. I could take some now and talk about it. That was some time ago, 15-16 years, and to be honest, I don't advise it. I did the work myself except machine work, and ended up finding things I needed at the time on sale, (like the front lotus intercooler-AC evaporator), when I got done I added up what I had spent and I could have bought a nice S4s for that! I wouldn't have had the fun of doing it tho!:shrug:

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Wow...looks GREAT!!!
With tires in the original factory 15 inch sizes getting harder and harder to find every day, it's great to have this option.
Not only that, but it is an upgrade as well since most tires available now (in the factory '88 sizes) seem to be non-performance, all-seasons.

Wanted to ask...since you went with 8" and 10", was there any reason you didn't go with the standard V8 sizes? Just curious for my own knowledge. I realize that the early Stevens has much less room in the front wheel wells.

This pic was my favorite...makes the car look so sleek!
(although not sure if Eddie has the patent on that expression...LOL)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Wanted to ask...since you went with 8" and 10", was there any reason you didn't go with the standard V8 sizes? Just curious for my own knowledge. I realize that the early Stevens has much less room in the front wheel wells.

Thanks! I can't take the credit for the wheel design. An Esprit owner that used to post on here and apparently doesn't lately, did all this previously. The pctures from his posts are gone tho. He ended up with 17x11'' rears and the same fronts that I got. I approached it a little differently because I was coming from the point of view of performance tire availability. From that perspective the V8 tire sizes are almost nonexistent. If I remember right there was only 1 tire available on Tire Rack for both front and back in the performance category for v8's and I didn't want to get into that again since that's the reason I had wheels made- no performance tires available for the wheel sizes I have. With the wheels I ended up with there were no less than 26 different performance tires available and all the best ones I was thinking about.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Wow, 26 different performance tire choices...sounds real good to me...thanks Greenisgood!

On top of that V8 size availability issue, I think that going to the tire profile that you went with on the fronts might actually result in less rubbing due to reduced sectional width, compared with that of the V8 size.

Oh yes, I remember Lolo...not sure what happened as I haven't seen him on here in a while. Likely busy driving and enjoying. :)

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
I assume you know that the offset on the '88 is extreme negative because of the inboard brakes and Citroen trany unlike the later cars. So SE, S4, V8, wheels all have the wrong rear offset and would need large heavy spacers. That's why the rear wheel is so deeply dished. Unlike virtually every modern car '88's and earlier had inboard brakes up against the trans instead of behind the wheel. Dramatically less unsprung weight was what they were after so the wheel-tire can follow the road changes more quickly. Mass momentum. But most transaxles aren't set up for inboard brakes.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Yes, thanks...I know it well!

I had a yellow '88 before in the late '90s (which I had to sell) and have owned this current pearl white '88 Commemorative twice (since 2000) so third time around with an '88, as well as my recent addition of a yellow V8. :smile2:

I love the killer depth on your rear wheels as a result...pretty wild!!!

I assume you know that the offset on the '88 is extreme negative because of the inboard brakes and Citroen trany unlike the later cars. So SE, S4, V8, wheels all have the wrong rear offset and would need large heavy spacers. That's why the rear wheel is so deeply dished. Unlike virtually every modern car '88's and earlier had inboard brakes up against the trans instead of behind the wheel. Dramatically less unsprung weight was what they were after so the wheel-tire can follow the road changes more quickly. Mass momentum. But most transaxles aren't set up for inboard brakes.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,650 Posts
You don't have any pics of the RH side of the car. Did you get the same 'spiral' on both sides (as was OEM) or did you go for the alternate 'handed' ones?

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I'm sure he has better pictures, but in the meantime, I saved this picture to my desktop and then zoomed in on it.
Looks like the one on the right front is going the right way and is oriented correctly.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
I wasn't crazy about the lighting on the right side of the car is the only reason I didn't use these.

:grin2:A GREAT BIG THANK YOU TO MR. ATWELL HAINES BTW, FOR HOOKING ME UP WITH LOLO TO FIGURE OUT WHAT HE DID AND WHY!!!:clap::clap::bow::bow:

I didn't have to reinvent the wheel, tee hee hee

Attachments

61 - 80 of 127 Posts