The Lotus Cars Community banner

81 - 100 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I agree...Atwell is fantastic, even if his views on aero appendages are a bit warped. :rolleyes:

Wow...I just can't stop looking at that!
I love how it looks so classic and correct and yet modern and contemporary at the same time.
The body-colored side skirts and lower body really add to the effect as well!

I see an updated rear plinth too! Can't tell if it is black or body-color. Is that the one from Espritnoob? :)

·
Registered
1,321 Posts

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Wow...it really updates the car...looks like an S4 now!

Curious to see what your next project is... :smile2:
Funny you should mention the hatches. I've given serious consideration to making a mould of the hatch and redoing it in carbon, without the glass. The 'boot' too. It's really shockingly heavy especially with glass. I've never done anything like that but i'm too old and stubborn to think I can't do stuff. There are how to videos on youtube about it. At the moment i'm kind of projected out, after redoing interior and pulling the dash for the harness, new wheels, new steering rack, etc.:crazyeyes
Part of what's holding me back is early on I decided to keep the car 'stock' looking and not get into adding wings, bumpers, rockers and stuff to make it look like an S4 or v8. The look of the back glass is pretty distinctive too. Neighbor just commented on the back glass the other day.:UK:

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Wow...I never thought of a custom lightweight carbon fiber hatch...that would be so cool on an Esprit, not to mention the weight savings and performance advantages if done correctly. I don't think I've ever seen that done on a street Esprit, yet! :)

Personally, I think a painted updated factory rear hatch would be a subtle, yet tasteful modification that would follow the theme of your newer painted plinth, then again your car looks perfect as is already. :)

I had that third pane of glass on my first yellow '88. I liked how it followed the lines of the C pillar, but over time started to hate sticking my arm through the opening to clean it. Drove me nuts that I could never get the inside of it as clean as I wanted and when I did, it didn't stay that way for long so I had to stick my arm in there again. :mad:

Been really enjoying your posts and updates...keep 'em coming! :smile2:

Funny you should mention the hatches. I've given serious consideration to making a mould of the hatch and redoing it in carbon, without the glass. The 'boot' too. It's really shockingly heavy especially with glass. I've never done anything like that but i'm too old and stubborn to think I can't do stuff. There are how to videos on youtube about it. At the moment i'm kind of projected out, after redoing interior and pulling the dash for the harness, new wheels, new steering rack, etc.:crazyeyes
Part of what's holding me back is early on I decided to keep the car 'stock' looking and not get into adding wings, bumpers, rockers and stuff to make it look like an S4 or v8. The look of the back glass is pretty distinctive too. Neighbor just commented on the back glass the other day.:UK:

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I agree!
@MRDANGERUS would be the perfect person for looking into something like that!

Not sure how it would look, but thinking a lighter hatch would remove weight from right where it would do the most good, bumping the original F/R weight distribution of the Esprit from 43/57 (Esprit V8) a hair closer to 50/50. Potentially a very meaningful modification for race or the performance-oriented.

I agree with @Turbo R

I would be interested in seeing a carbon fiber rear hatch and know what the weight savings would be. @MRDANGERUS should investigate and then make a YouTube "how to" for us. :)

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
I never weighed the hatch when I had it off but I would guess 70lb. But I drove the car for a while with the hatch off sorting stuff out after I got the engine done and that weight difference changed the car! A revelation! I remember how it would leap forward. This was when the engine still wasn't sorted and I didn't know the code 26 was there. BCAC was right, add lightness!

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I realize you didn't weigh it, but even then, 70lbs is HUGE!
Even 40 - 50lbs is a considerable difference that should show up in acceleration and even more so, handling.

Surprised that no one here has been looking into doing a light carbon fiber version for the Esprit on the forums here, especially among the racers and tweakers (mods, not drugs...LOL)

Pure speculation, but knowing Lotus, if it is heavy when it could have been so much lighter, it could be for a reason...could a hatch be considered structural? Being latched at one end, I have no idea.

It certainly helped on the Evora Sport 410 so maybe it is a good idea, it sure sounds like one. That is a much more modern, stiffer design and with a far smaller opening though.

I never weighed the hatch when I had it off but I would guess 70lb. But I drove the car for a while with the hatch off sorting stuff out after I got the engine done and that weight difference changed the car! A revelation! I remember how it would leap forward. This was when the engine still wasn't sorted and I didn't know the code 26 was there. BCAC was right, add lightness!

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
I don't see how it could be structural, but i'm convinced that's a big part of the reason they did away with the glass in the later cars. Glass is heavy!

·
Registered
30 Posts
what can you telll me about the car like it ? you seem fairly tall? how tall? just trying to get some insight looking into getting one, thanks

·
Registered
475 Posts
The SE and the S4/S4s/V8 tailgates weigh very close to the same. some 35 kilos. A full carbon s4/s4s/v8 tailgate, copied exactly would weigh apprx. 6 kilos. So saving around 28-29 kilos.
Removing front Space saver wheel saves another 17,235 kilop lus 5,5 kilo for the Jack plus 0,236 kilo for the handle. Then comes aluminium fuel tanks which we need anyway. Then the double coolant tank in the rear, then...
Hmm. maybe I should make a list. Or rather, we should make a list.
I am all for lightening the car but doing it subtly so it looks the same. That's what makes an Eslise go so fast around corners. I have juuuust heard a bird singing about a full carbon bodyshell being made for the Stevens Esprit. Humongously expensive and very very light. I imagine, only imagine some 200 kilos weight saving. Plus bumpers, undertray, side skirts, bonnet, air intake for cabin, airbox and complete light pods. Now we are talking a Stevens Esprit Turbo SE weighing some 900 kilos with modern adjustable Nitron suspension etc. Add a sport 300 cylinderhead, ecu, turbo and alunox exhaust manifold plus a light exhaust and a free flow cat and you get around 350 Hp and 440 Nm to 900 kilos Esprit. And light S4s Wheels with added wider outer lip to 10,5" and 315/30-18" rear and 235/40-17 front sticky ones covered by Sport 300 Wheel Arches and front bumper (in carbon) which makes much better aero with directing the wind around the front Wheels turbolence and a 90mm Deep frontpoiler, so flow around and under the Esprit is better, with more ground effect, plus Sport300 seats which saves 10 kilos for two, plus the complete Lotac poly bushing set and adjustable upper rear arms, bigger AP Racing brakes with aliminium bolted on bells, sport 300 upper rear tubular frame, stronger enhanced chassis around the gearshift and so on.

A leathal weapon to 911's ;)

Hmm, now that I think about it, I think I'll make one.

Kind regards,
Redfox.

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
Go crazy! :grin2:Somebody should do it? Would also be crazy expensive.:| Would need VERY deep pockets:up::up:

·
Registered
475 Posts
Ha ha, well yes the full carbon bodyshell will be extraordinary expensive...
And the rest= well, that too, as it's many parts.
Anyway, I have collected most of it, and some is already on my SE. The rest is more time and more Money.
But hey, a 900 kilo Esprit with 440Nm and 350 Hp would be a lightening fast car and even quicker around the corners.
Even the Exige's are heavy these days if they have more power.

Meanwhile, your Wheels are really great looking!

Here's mine:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
:surprise: Wow...stunningly beautiful car!!!
:smile2:

I can imagine that car must stop traffic and draw huge crowds everywhere it goes in Denmark!

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Love those seats too!
Are those recovered Sport 300 seats, Evora seats, or the aftermarket Recaro equivalent?

I've been wanting seats like that, ever since I saw the seats in the car that Richard Hammond drove in that used Esprit episode. :)

81 - 100 of 127 Posts