The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, as the title said I am new here. I am contemplating my next automobile purchase and it has come down to an elise or the evo. the main question that I have is:

I am 6'3" tall. Am i going to have any problems getting into an elise? the closest dealer is quite a drive from me, but if i know that I shouldn;t have a problem fitting in the car, i will make the trip. i would hate to drive 3 hours to the dealer and not be able to even get in the darn car :wallbang:

thanks in advance and i hope to soon say that I am a fellow owner, not just a lurker.:D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
what other things do you "taller and bigger" owners notice? does the gear lever seem like the right fit, or does it seem to close to you? is the windshield very close to your face?

·
Banned
1,348 Posts
what other things do you "taller and bigger" owners notice? does the gear lever seem like the right fit, or does it seem to close to you? is the windshield very close to your face?
Height isn't really a problem. My father can fit in and he's 6'3". I'd say weight is more of a problem. I've also had really tall instructors in my car and they've fit just fine. Getting in and out doesn't look pretty though. But again I'd say weight it the big issues when it comes to fitting in the car.

So if you're relatively slim and 6'3" you should be fine. Hope that helps

Height plus a helmet if you're tracking the car, now that might be a bit of an issue...

·
Registered
780 Posts
Get the Evo....I could go on ...but you are talking yourself out of it already by asking these questions. Im not trying to be coarse. You have to be in love with the car. Just my opinion.

EDIT : I hope you choose Lotus. But take some time to think about what you really want. I would bet there is something else preventing you to "pull the trigger". Besides your height what other Cons are there?

·
Registered
624 Posts
I drove 2.5 hrs to get my car. It was an amazing drive. I loved it. You can not put into words how it feels to drive one of these cars for the first time. Its just simply amazing. As for height a lot of people make threads about this and there are several if not a lot more taller drivers on this forum.

Best of luck in your deciding process.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
You really need to test drive one to make the decision for yourself. The first time I test drove one I knew I had to have one. :)
If there is something about the car ergonomically speaking that bothers you it should become apparent when you test drive it. Get in and out of it a few times while you are there. It should get easier pretty fast. Do not use the windshield frame to help - there is no chassis based A-Pillar like in most cars, it is part of the windshield frame.
I am only 6' and I have a bit of trouble seeing under the upper part of the windshield frame at stop lights but you can always stop a little farther back then normal which helps.
If you have some girth to you you better be flexible to make up for it or grunting and face plants could be in your future.
I am 195lb and have a trashed right ankle from a motorcycle accident and I still get in and out just fine most days. Some days I can not walk too well and don't take the car.
You live in Wisconsin so don't plan on using it in the winter unless you are crazy like another member we have here from Wisconsin. You know who you are!
I think the Evos are nice machines performance wise. Unfortunately I think they look like 80s Hondas with ricer body kits but that is my opinion. If you like how they look (which is all the really matters) then you might have more enjoyment with one. It will be more comfortable than the Lotus when cruising, less quirky, and lower cost to maintain unless you are a do it yourself type like many of the folks on the forum here. They also have good performance right out of the box. Hard to beat the Lotus "feel" though.
Drive them both and then make your decision. Good luck. Oh, the 3 hour trip will not be too bad if you get lunch at the mid point. Some people can't sit in them for long as the seats have very little padding. Good excuse to get out and admire your new ride too.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
It depends on your proportions, but we have many happy owners that are 6'4"

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts
Here's the last guy that asked that question here......

Attachments

·
Registered
685 Posts
Yes your going to have issues getting in and out. But the Lotus Elise/Exige experience is worth the trouble. Test drive, Evo is no comparision. Like saying I'm either going to get a S-10 or a 2500HD dually desiel.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I'm 6'4 about 240 with short legs. My original concern like you was I wouldn't fit. I sat in one at a car show and once I knew I fit, went for a test drive. As soon as I went for the drive I knew I had to buy one. You will need to remove the sunvisor to help seeing out but other then that it's not that bad. I find the seats very comfortable even if I'm in there for a while. Getting in and out was interesting at first, especially with the roof on but I got good at it pretty quickly, still looks a little awkward to a bystander but at least its not embarrasing. Just test drive both and make your decision as they are two totally different cars.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I am 6'6", about 260 lbs. and fit fine. I have had my Elise for over two years and drive it pretty much everyday. I really fit in the Elise/Exige better than many other sports cars (S2000, MR2, Miata, Solstice/Sky, etc.). Sure there are some issues: the turn stalk touches my knee when signalling for left hand turns, my head is right at the roof so I can't fit with a helmet when I have the roof on (although I can make myself fit with a helmet and soft top, but it isn't real comfortable), the stock mirror and sun visors block a lot of forward vision, with the top on I have to tilt my head to see stoplights, there isn't much room between my legs and the steering wheel. In the end though, the car is just so much fun that none of that really matters.

I find getting in and out to be no problem at all (top off or on). I think having longer legs actually helps getting over the side sill, but that is just me and I am pretty flexible. A smaller rear view mirror is a must, as is removal of the sun visors. I also reworked the header piece for my hardtop to give more forward visibility when the hardtop is on. If you have a long torso and short legs the DOWNlow seat rails that Sector111 sells may help. For me, they really helped for headroom, but took up too much of my legroom.

Shoe size can be an issue too. The '05 cars have a slightly different pedal arrangement. I originally had a deposit on an '05, but turned it down because the spacing was too narrow. At the time, I also knew they were reworking it for '06. Had I not known that, I would have gone ahead with the '05 and just reworked it. But the spacing on the '06 definitely is better for larger feet. Even with the '06 though, I have to bet very selective with regards to the shoes I wear.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I have to bet very selective with regards to the shoes I wear.
Ha! Even us little guys (I'm 5'8" and about 150 pounds) have to be very selective with the shoe selection while driving this car. I either wear my karting shoes or Puma speedcats size 10.5.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
It depends on your proportions, but we have many happy owners that are 6'4"
+1

You'll see people on this forum as tall as 6'6". But a few months ago a 6' tall guy was looking at my car and he said he couldn't fit. I laughed. But he said he was told he had the torso of someone 6' 7". Damn if he wasnt' right. His head jammed the ceiling. If you use the search function you will see people have made seat mod's to lower the seat when there was a problem.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
helluva a car

Get the Evo....I could go on ...but you are talking yourself out of it already by asking these questions. Im not trying to be coarse. You have to be in love with the car. Just my opinion....
Of course, my opinion leans in the other direction; if you're on the fence, go Elise; you'll soon overcome the 'fitment' problems. I currently have Baysailor's downlow rails in my car--and they're great (for me....).

My first impression after test driving a Lotus at the Dealer and crawling out onto the ground was, 'no way! ....too bad'. Now--as one girl says--I get in and out looking like 'warm butter'.... whatever the hell that means!

There seems to be some false bravado that if you don't immediatly have some kind-of hard core obsession for the car--enduring any 'pain' without winching--that you are doomed to regret your purchase.

I'm so happy I got this car. Two-and-a-half years, 50K miles, and a million smiles. I love it like a third testicle. :D

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I'm so happy I got this car. Two-and-a-half years, 50K miles, and a million smiles. I love it like a third testicle. :D
rotfl Thats hilarious!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts