The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, my name is grayson, this is my first post.

I'm 16 years old, and actually a male model in miami. My dream is to own a lotus elise or exige S, by the time im 18. I am not some spoiled rich kid, this car would be purchased by me, and me only. I currently have about 10k in the bank, with 3k on the way. By the time im 18 i have potential to net about 50k+ a year,with no expenses, living with the parents of course....so i have a few questions..

I was looking in to a VERY lightly used vehicle.

-Could this car be used as almost an every day driver?
-Do you guys think i have the means to purchase such a car?
-Should i go for buying it completly, or work on some type of payment and possibly get it while im still in high school? (man would that be a blast! haha)

im totally new to the lotus world, although i have loved them since age 13.

hopefully ill get some good input!!
thanks alot guys!:)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you being serious.?
i found this board yesterday, just looking for some advice.
i am totally serious with my intentions.
that is sortof wierd.

·
Banned
1,012 Posts
-Could this car be used as almost an every day driver?

Hell yes it can. Just as long as you don't plan on having more than one girlfriend : )

-Do you guys think i have the means to purchase such a car?

With 10k already, work a lil harder, kiss some serious parental ass, and just maybe.

-Should i go for buying it completly, or work on some type of payment and possibly get it while im still in high school? (man would that be a blast! haha)

I say pay AS MUCH as possible so you can get liability as soon as possible. Full coverage will own your bank account. Remember to drive decently when you have liability....

Being only 17, I can totally relate to you. I wish you the best of luck!

·
Registered
398 Posts
Time to whip out the voice of reason....

Voice of reason:

Do NOT get this car when you're 18. I don't care if you go to college (this is a terrible college vehicle) or if you don't.

I am 24 years of age. I have lusted after Lotus' and exotics my entire life. I wanted the elise since the day it came out. I could even afford it then. BUT... I waited until I finished college.

Had I gotten this car when I was 18, I would be dead by now. Don't get me wrong. I am a very safe driver. I like spirited drives too, but when I was 18, and a kid in a civic beater would rev his engine next to me, I would actually consider taking him up on it.

I can drive this car responsibly now because I have a very thick skin. You will meet a lot of stupid people. You'll meet a lot of VERY stupid drivers. And you have to have the driving skill and the emotional patience to compensate for their ineptitude.

</end voice of reason>

Ok, now that I'm done playing dad, if you have enough money to buy this car at 18 WITH CASH, take a high-performance driving class for a weekend and do it!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the advice guys.

I can understand the whole safe driving issue, and my father is full backing my decision on most likely purchasing a used exige S under a few conditions. I will take as many high performance lessons, until HE feels good about my skill in driving. Ive had my license for over a year now and have no tickets, wrecks, fender benders, or any thing of that nature.

I will be as safe as possible, but i cant help it, im in love with these things.
I pass the lotus dealer everyday drooling.

any more input would be awesome.
thanks so much guys!!

edit--also wanted to thank seb for the input haha keep it coming guys..

·
Registered
58 Posts
I did not have the ability to handle an S2000 when I was 19 but I got it anyway because it was simply my dream car. After 8 years of ownership I move on to an Exige, another dream. I wouldnt say a Lotus would overpower you as a young driver, Im only saying it will definitely cause some troubles to premature road sense and skills. Now that I look back the first few years of driving the S2000 apparently I wasnt ready, 12 years driving today I had no accidents because im very conscious while driving, didnt mean I was able to ENJOY those high performance cars though. Im just saying it might be high costs to maintain your future lotus yet not be able to take full value of it, 2 pennies. good luck with your dream

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
If you don't get tinted windows, make sure you perfect "blue steel" first for all the passerby's.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Aw SweetDaddyD thank you... didn't think I'd be able to use this one again.

:coolnana: go for it Grayson! Consider buying one in a very loud (don't hit me) color. It's not just about your own driving ability but, for lack of a better word, clairvoyance with the actions of everyone else on the road. Call it your sixth sense that gets built up with a few years of driving experience.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hahaha what a perfect picture

i was actually really drawn to either a black on black or the titanium color, but the visibiliity would be pretty bad for my situation i guess.. I dont really find myself likeing any of the loud colors. Green, yellow, and orange are kind of bad, unless the accessories are done right. O well ill find one..
haha

·
Registered
693 Posts
Don't blow your 10K on a car.... your 16. Think cost of ownership. If you blow your wad now and get into trouble, financially an accident, insurance, etc....your going to regret you ever heard of Lotus.

You sound like you have a good head on your shoulders, don't squander your life on any car that is above your means. Sounds to me, it's just a trophy that you want to park at high school. Reality is that it's a very bad idea.

Your money, your decision.

Q

·
0 Posts
Say hello to high insurance premiums...

Honestly... get a VW GTI or something...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
haha not a trophy guys, itd be cool, but come on..
i do have a little self esteem, i really dont care what another 16 year old dude cares about me.

If and when i have the means and skills to buy one, i think ill treat myself..i wont be this yound forever, so why not enjoy myself to the maximum..i can enjoy myself, and keep grounded at the same time..its one of my many goals and dreams so i think im gonna go for it..

ive never been a big fan of VW anyways.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Sorry, but this looked like a joke.

Not going to tell you not to get it because it would be a fun car to have at any age. You just need to know what all you are getting into.

Clean driving record or not, a teen in any car is a target for a ticket. After getting this car you may get one just because the cop feels like giving one to you. The car can attract bad attention too. I got a ticket from the CHP and the dick cop full on made up the speed. Even gave me a bit of s#!T about it too.

Most young drivers don’t give enough respect to the vehicle they have. Although I will say if you have a crap car you will treat it like crap. But this car has some sensitive thing to be aware of that other cars don’t. Also, even if you have the right under standing and respect your friends may not. Many teens don’t know how to respect their own stuff let alone someone else stuff. It only takes one idiot to lean on your car, and this car may get more then scratched it may get cracked.

Read thorough this site and you will get a feel for what you need to know.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks for the response
good advice

i feel like my situation will work itself out..and hopefully ill be the proud owner of a lotuss in no time

·
Banned
1,012 Posts
Good post ^

Even though I totally agree, I don't think he would respect it any more than a 30 year old would. In my opinion, age has little to do with it. I honestly don't even like thinking about abusing a car. It makes me cringe. When I hear "Oh you would never appreciate it at your age" does nothing more than infuriate me. Sure, there are the few ungrateful buckets of piss out there that abuse what mommy and daddy bought them, but usually you can tell the type.

This kid obviously wants to achieve his goal more or less on his own, and loves the idea of working for it. I think that says it all.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts