The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I just purchased a 2006 Elise. I pick it up next Saturday from the dealership in Milwaukee. I've been wanting one of these cars for several years and finally get my first two-seater. I just love the look of the car and how it drives. I don't plan on racing it (as of yet) but I did want to do a few things to the car as I can afford.

The seats are not very padded and I was considering either buying a set of new seats or getting the existing re-upholsterer with a little more padding put in them. I will upload some photos once I get the car, which is a sexy British Racing Green with light tan leather interior. I've also thought about adding a Union Jack small post card size flag on either side of the car right behind the front tires or on the front part of the door and getting the center line of the interior where the shifter sits painted to match the exterior.

If anyone has good information please share.

Thanks

Madison
Bloomington IL

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
BRG with biscuit leather (light tan) is a great color combo. Looking forward to seeing some pics of it.

Congrats on the Elise. Your life has been changed forever now that you have such a great driving car. You will never look at another car the same way you did pre Elise ownership.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Congratulations. Surprised you're not happy with the seats. The 2005's had rock hard seats and I found them very uncomfortable, but I installed 06 seats and it made a world of difference.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I look forward to getting some pictures taken and most of all driving it. EagleTime I will send you a message when I have some time and we can drive around, that would be awesome.

Also I am an artist (part time) and will probably be doing a painting of my car which I'll post that up in the photos section as some point.

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
Hi Madison - Congrats on the new Elise and welcome to LotusTalk. Lots of new owners in the Midwest this year. You should come join us for the big group drive the first weekend in May: http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f112/official-thread-il-wi-ia-mn-gumball-rally-5-5-12-register-now-111219/

The seats certainly aren't thickly padded, but they tend to be well regarded. Especially the Probax seats in the '06+ cars. I'd suggest giving them some time, but if you decide that something must be done this thread might be helpful: http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f92/seat-rebuild-kemmler-air2gel-foam-25711/

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you have starshield? If not I would put it on asap!
It does have a star shield on it. It reminds me of a ipod screen cover. Almost invisible unless you're looking for it. I'm trying to figure out a custom license plate to order, a new stereo head unit that I'm wanting that is ipod friendly.

·
Back to the Future, again
6,175 Posts
I have an 09 with reupholstered seats and while everyone who has stock seats commented on how great it is... I always have a plush daily driver with big fluffy seats so it's still not very comfortable for me by comparison... but it is better than stock.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Welcome to the forums! I'm not a big fan of the biscuit colored interior but it does compliment the brg nicely. Enjoy the new car and congrats on your purchase

·
Registered
389 Posts
Welcome! Rock Island here. Enjoy your Elise, and if you are headed this way, PM me. :)

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Welcome, I am a slight bit jealous as that was my ideal color combo when I was searching! Enjoy

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I finally got my car, wow it was a ton of fun to drive. I drove it from Madison Wisconsin to central IL where I live. Half the trip I took some deserted country roads on Sunday with lots of hills and some curves. The car handles amazingly and is so responsive. I felt like a rock star driving it, :D we stopped at a little root beer drive-in where there were a bunch of bikers eating. People were stopping to take pictures and kids where hovering around looking at my car. I sat quietly at the picnic table eating a burger with my wife and just had a **** eating grin on my face the entire time. After the three hour drive and washing and waxing it, I have made some discoveries that I didn't notice initially.

Observations:

My rag top does not seal which I discovered when I hand washed the car for the first time upon getting home. I was wary of this so I tested the roof with a little water on the canvas and it came through a seam above the drivers doors window. I'm thinking I'm going to have to take this in and get the seals replaced.

My feet are wide and I sometimes brush the brake pedal with my foot when I accelerate... it is sort of a nuisance but one I can deal with.

My ass hurt after 300 miles and we stopped a few times to get out and stretch. I was able to take the top off on the last hour home and it was awesome. I think I'm going to go through and get the seats recovered and have some extra padding put in.

The stereo can't keep up and it has to go. I'm working on that and was planning on a upgrade.

The drivers side front light gasket seal isn't flush with the hood. The top 1/4 of the headlamp assembly isn't sitting all the way in and I am not sure whether to pop the entire unit out and adjust the gasket and give my best attempt and putting the light back in place flush or taking it to a shop somewhere which is another issue I'm trying to figure out as well where to get the car serviced. The headlamp itself is getting condensation in it and I'm not sure what I can do to seal it up and fix it.

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
Congrats - glad you had a good trip back home. Very pretty color combo. From that pic we can see that it had Sport Pack, Touring Pack, and an aftermarket exhaust. Looks like a Quicksilver from the tips, but that's hard to say for certain.

The top should be able to be made to seal better than that. Look into window adjustments, and the seals as you mentioned. You'll start identifying your "Lotus-friendly" shoes pretty quickly, and likely end up shopping for shoes based on how narrow they are. The stereo is pretty much a lost cause. There are some things that you can do, but unless you stuff it to the gills with gear and sound proofing, it isn't going to be great. Lots of the cars have one or both headlights steam up. There isn't much that you can do about it in the end.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Hi Madison - welcome!

As JWA notes, you should join us for the Gumball Rally on 5/5-6. The thread details it all, but we are driving Sat, staying over at a hotel and more driving on Sunday morning with some cool scenic stops in between. As you may have encountered, there are some AWESOME twisty roads near Madison. You should definitely join us to share stories, drive and get a taste for what mods we've made.

Seats - as others note, the Probax in the '06 are light years better than the '05s. I had mine reupholstered/padded. If you come to the drive, you'll see them.

Stereo - yes, it's ****e. Many of us have upgraded. We'd be glad to share what we've done. Again, on that drive, there will probably be 20 Loti so lots of options to check out. I went balls out - full double din custom head unit set up, better speakers, subwoofer, amp, rear camera. Amazing what just a change in speakers can do. Lots of research available here for it.

Bloomington British Festival - 6/1. Right in your hood. Nice festival (I'm sure a few of us will be there). Great to meet fellow owners.

Schedule
Lastly, do check out the 'Chicago Get Togethers' thread. We get together quite a bit for spirited drives - we've already done two this year and have had up to 25 cars at certain times over the years.

DrChris - you should join us as well. Bring the Lambo! :)

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Oh, and as JWA notes - thin shoes are your friend!

Based on the name Madison, I'm assuming you are a she :)

Many of the guy wear Piloti driving shoes, but many of us rock Puma Speed Cats:

I dig the H Street Plus - very thin, super super lightweight and easier to jam in a bag than flip flops:

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Madison is my last name and I'm a 'He' last I checked.. LOL

I'll check out those shoes and I plan on registering for that drive event, assuming my art show calendar is clear for it, which I have not checked out yet.

One last thing to mention is the fact I need a new windshield. This one has 3 patched rock chips and there seems to be some little dots all over it that won't come out, much like sap from a tree or a sleight over-spray from a paint gun but the dots are opaque and not really a nuisance unless the sun hits the glass at certain angles.

John

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Gotcha - my bad. Bummer though - we could use a cute chick owner instead of a bunch of lame ass doods! :)

John - call Justin at FVMC. He got me my replacement windshield in two days and the guys went there to install it in like an hour.

As for the art side of it, check out the stuff that ZWhitaker on this site does.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts