The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new here. I am located in the Lasvegas area.

Later in the year I plan on buying a Nissan GTR or a Lotus.
So hopefully you guys can help me out with learning alot about Lotus Cars.

My first question is, which is the better car?
Elise Supercharged or Exige S?

My choices for lotus is pretty much : Elise, Elise Supercharged, Exige S.

I don't think Exige S 240 is worth it, unless someone can convince me otherwise.

Also I saw on the lotuscar.com website that they have Club Racer and Cup cars? Is it possible to buy those?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Search it...

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Better??, depends on what you like, stop at Norm Baker (I think thats who is your local dealer) and try them all out until you find the one that you like.

Club racer is same engine, just "looks" different.... Cup car is not street legal, there are still some new out there for sale, no 08's but 07's can be found at good discount, but again, you cant drive it on street.

If you are in Vegas, check out Spring Mountain, its about 45 minutes outside vegas and is a great track. They have a 1 or 2 day Lotus driving school, its worth it just to get some time behind the wheel of a Lotus and see if you like it.

Also a great track to join if you get a Lotus, I think we have 4-5 members on here with Lotus cars that are members here (I am one of them).

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I am new here. I am located in the Lasvegas area.

Later in the year I plan on buying a Nissan GTR or a Lotus.
So hopefully you guys can help me out with learning alot about Lotus Cars.

My first question is, which is the better car?
Elise Supercharged or Exige S?

My choices for lotus is pretty much : Elise, Elise Supercharged, Exige S.

I don't think Exige S 240 is worth it, unless someone can convince me otherwise.

Also I saw on the lotuscar.com website that they have Club Racer and Cup cars? Is it possible to buy those?
Tons of info on the above questions, one thread just from today. To save you a little time (no replacement for doing your homework though) Here are some answers:

Better car? It's up to you. Elise, better visability, exige, better on the track. If you're a hardcore track rat, get the exige, otherwise just get the one you like better.

If I was to replace my 06 elise today, I'd buy the supercharged elise. I like the way the elise looks better than the exige, and I think the na motor needs more power. To be honest though, I will do neither as my car is almost out of warranty, so I will be keeping it, buying a katana sc, have charliex tune it for me, and have a much quicker car.

I don't have an answer for your last question, although I personally believe with enough money you can buy absolutely anything.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I am surprised that a GTR versus Lotus consideration is on your mind. Talk about two opposites. (I happen to have one of each so I speak from experience). Lotus is by far the clear choice for me and you can buy a very nice slightly used Lotus for a fraction of what a new GTR will cost you as no slightly used GTRs are on the market yet and the dealers are still adding thousands to the facory sticker on new ones.

You might want to ask yourself if you are truly a car enthusiast or if you simply like the way the two cars look. If you are just interested in "looking good" then buy the GTR because they are more user friendly, have softer seats, and drive better on long highway trips. If you are a enthusiast, buy the Lotus, save a ton of money, and enjoy every single minute of track time you can get. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
I am surprised that a GTR versus Lotus consideration is on your mind. Talk about two opposites. (I happen to have one of each so I speak from experience). Lotus is by far the clear choice for me and you can buy a very nice slightly used Lotus for a fraction of what a new GTR will cost you as no slightly used GTRs are on the market yet and the dealers are still adding thousands to the facory sticker on new ones.

You might want to ask yourself if you are truly a car enthusiast or if you simply like the way the two cars look. If you are just interested in "looking good" then buy the GTR because they are more user friendly, have softer seats, and drive better on long highway trips. If you are a enthusiast, buy the Lotus, save a ton of money, and enjoy every single minute of track time you can get. Just my two cents.
+1...nothing more to say in this thread.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
Umm...just go drive something.... and bring lots of money with you, that'll make your decision.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for the responses!

I am an enthusiast. I prefer mechanical over technical.
That is what drawn me to lotus. Its the only production car i've heard of that contains most of everything I desire in a car:

1. Lightweight
2. Rearwheel drive
3. Manual Transmission
4. Small Engine
5. Good power for Displacement

I was doing some studying about lotus like some members suggested. Seems like you guys are waiting for the "ethos" or "eagles" ? I dont' know what that is. :huh:

If I could drive it on the street, I would get the Cup car rotfl...but a member here said its not street legal...so that's out of the question.

A used Elise SC or Exige 240 is in my mind now. However, its tough to find one I want. So I might have to order a new one.

Elise SC:
Sport pack
LSD
Starshield
Aspen White

Exige S240:
Track pack
LSD
Starshield
Aspen White

With the GTR, I know its going to cost ALOT.
The only advantage to GTR is being more comfortable and being able to drive it everyday with out compromise.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
I agree, two TOTALLY different cars, I'd test drive them first.

For some people, elises work as a daily driver. But for most, they dont use them as one. Even if its thier daily driver, they probably have another car they can use to transport things, park in shady parking lots, etc.
For a very select few, its thier only car, but I'd say this is pretty rare

If you're looking for an Exige and maybe to save a little money, you can always try getting a left over 07 Exige S thats still new at a great discount, there are some left in the For Sale section....

It won't have the S240 options though... 20 more hp, new guages, new keyfob, bigger brakes, bigger air scoop

·
Registered
2,713 Posts

+2 this is your answer :clap: (This belongs in the uberpost )

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've seen people make their Exige into a targa.

Does anything special have to be done to the car? or are there switches that hold the roof in place?

·
Registered
317 Posts
You might want to ask yourself if you are truly a car enthusiast or if you simply like the way the two cars look.

There have been a ton of used Lotus cars for sale with very low miles that have never been driven hard because they were purchased by guys who just liked how they looked. Hopefully these cars have found homes with enthusiasts who bought them for the right reasons.

·
Super Moderator
5,454 Posts
Firstly "Welcome to LT!!" - your first post wasn't unusual, but staying and continuing to post is!!:up:

As has been mentioned you need to drive them to make the decision on which is for you. But remember to take your check book!

Does anything special have to be done to the car? or are there switches that hold the roof in place?
The roof on the Exige is bolted in place (as is the hardtop available for the Elise). The difference between the two is that the Elise already has in place the fittings for the soft top but the Exige doesn't (but they can be added!). The roof is not structural in either car.

·
Registered
6,572 Posts

Again, LOTS of threads on this. Short answer: The Exige roof is held on with the exact same hardware as the optional Elise hardtop.

To mount the soft top on the Exige, you need to buy the soft top and the two fiberglass support rods. You will need to purchase the two grommets the rods fit into in the roll hoop area, and you will need to install those. Involves cutting into the body, but if you measure 3 or 4 times before you cut it's no big deal.

The grommets for the front of the rods are already in the Exige in the windshield.

For the Exige S and S240 taking the roof off can have an effect (diminish) on air flow into the intercooler.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
If you are thinking of A) going new, B) don’t mind a wait, and C) like one of the color combos, maybe get a 60th anniversary cars.
You will need to order it.

This car comes vary well set up.

Kevin

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm assuming the Hood scoop is very important.

that sucks.

I was hoping to go targa when if I do drive a Lotus.

I guess I'm leaning more towards an Elise SC now.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
if you get a 2008 exige S there is no intercooler so you can run without the hardtop with no impact on the engine

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
The roof is not structural in either car.
Well it isn't structural in the sense of adding any necessary chassis stiffness. But it is structural at least in the sense of triangulating/bracing the windshield frame. With the hard top bolted in place I am a lot less anxious about people putting a small amount of weight on the A-pillar.

xtn

1 - 20 of 23 Posts