The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed a set of these HID lights 6000K HID Kit Xenon Conversion Ballasts & Bulbs (CRYSTAL WHITE) on my 2005 Elise and I'm having trouble even though I meticulously followed the directions.

When I first turned the H1 lights on they worked great. First I adjusted the alignment on the driver's side, and then I did the same on the right. While I was adjusting the right side the left side went out, so I checked the left side fuse and found it was blown. (I had just up-rated the 10 amp fuses to 15 amps as directed.) I replaced the fuse and tried again, but this time as soon as I turned the lights on the left side fuse blew again.

I know these are "cheap HIDs", but the consensus here was that they are actually pretty good for the money.

Any idea what is wrong? :confused:

·
Saffron Yellow is Lighter
1,310 Posts
did you get the 35W bulbs?

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
did you get the 35W bulbs?
I selected the H1 bulbs (I don't know their wattage - I guess I assumed H1 bulbs plus 15A fuses were all I needed to consider.) Could I be wrong?

·
Arch. Project Manager
1,093 Posts
Is it the DDM tuner HID kit? Never-mind, I didn't click the link you provided.

·
Arch. Project Manager
1,093 Posts
With the DDM kit you do not have to uprate the fuse with either the 35watt or 55watt kit. I'm not familiar with the kit you are using.

·
Wow Such Admin
6,956 Posts
With the DDM kit you do not have to uprate the fuse with either the 35watt or 55watt kit. I'm not familiar with the kit you are using.
This.

Never seen that kit. I never had issues with the DDM ones.

You shouldn't increase the amperage of a fuse on a circuit that is designed for a lower amperage. That's just asking for trouble.

·
Premium Member
12,138 Posts
Try switching components from one side to other, so if short follow a particular one.

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here's a link to the thread I followed on the install. Note the replacement of the 10A fuse with a 15A.

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f322/ddm-hid-kit-install-elise-exige-104516/

(The only thing different with mine is that I used H1 lamps because I have a 2005.)

The fact that the left light functioned fine for a few minutes before it blew the fuse and then blew the next fuse immediately seems like a clue but I obviously don't know enough about electrical systems to figure this one out.

Perhaps the igniter or ballast on that side is just bad?

·
Registered
577 Posts
If you are blowing a fuse immediately you've got a short in your wiring or a component. If you've got an ohmmeter check to see if there is any resistance across the positive and negative lines on that side.

I'd do that with it unplugged and test across the ballast, and then I'd test my wiring separately. If you've got no resistance or little resistance you find your problem.

If you don't own a multi-meter go buy one, even a cheap harbor freight one if you have to. If you plan to do electrical work it's a necessary tool.

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you are blowing a fuse immediately you've got a short in your wiring or a component.
That's why I'm puzzled. At first the lamp lit for several minutes before the fuse popped. When I turned the lights off, replaced the fuse, and then turned the lights back on the fuse blew immediately.

·
Wow Such Admin
6,956 Posts
My bet is a bad ballast. Swap the ballast to the right side, and see if it blows that side fuse.

·
Premium Member
12,138 Posts
Isn't that what I said?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Agree with previous posts - Swap the units (L-R). You can localize the issue to the unit vs other wiring issues...
Cheers.
--nexpresss

·
Premium Member
12,138 Posts
So, what was the outcome??

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So, what was the outcome??
I got busy and temporarily gave up on the HIDs. They're still wired in but I replaced with original lamps for the time being. Maybe next spring...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts