The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
shay2nak
24,910 Posts
In my few years as a loudspeaker engineer, I have never seen anything so ugly, unnecessary, overdone, oversized and I'm sure overpriced. My guess is it sounds like sh*t.

people who have too much money and don't know what to do with it buy these kinds of monstrosities.

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
shay2nak said:
In my few years as a loudspeaker engineer.
Who did you work for in the speaker business?

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
shay2nak said:
In my few years as a loudspeaker engineer, I have never seen anything so ugly, unnecessary, overdone, oversized and I'm sure overpriced. My guess is it sounds like sh*t.

people who have too much money and don't know what to do with it buy these kinds of monstrosities.
Yeah, but do you think it will fit behind the seats of the Elise?

·
Registered
711 Posts
That's an awesome picture. The comment really set it up. I had just enough time to read what you said before the image popped up. It was perfect. :D

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
Can anyone tell me what that big, cylindrical thing is behind the components?

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
>>>Can anyone tell me what that big, cylindrical thing is behind the components?<<<

Sure it's just another pair of horn loaded speakers that will handle the low notes which are nondirectional. Such a speaker set up as this one should be amazingly efficient. Like 10-15 dBs or more from one watt than typical speakers.

Cheap horns such as PA systems and megaphones used sound shrill and voices sound like your hands are cupped around your mouth. But well designed ones can be amazingly dynamic and clear. Since they are so efficient you can combine them with amps with great sound quality but lower outputs. Like tube amps or class A solid state rigs. This setup appears to use an amplifier for each horn driver so it's pretty much all-out.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Stan said:
Sure it's just another pair of horn loaded speakers that will handle the low notes which are nondirectional.
Stan is trying to say "sub woofer" to those of us non-audio engineery types - even though it may be slightly less accurate ;)

If you've ever gone to a club or concert with decent sound, you'll almost assuredly see these around - usually much less flashy and often used as a table/bench. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts