The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my grilles on the rear boot lid is looking kind of sad because of my carelessness in waxing the car recently. I figured I might as well try something different and change them a little bit. I know people have attempted this and I think I even found some pictures of them already done, so it's nothing new. But I figure this looks pretty good and I should share :).

Here is a comparison with the old and the new (yes I could use some Back to Black on those old louvers)

Shot from the rear

From the side. I need to go to an auto parts store and pick up some black plugs for the holes. Other than that, it is looking sweet.

The job took a good 4 hours, mostly spend running between stores to pick up different parts to test and fit and cleaning the left over glue from the old louvers. In the end my friend and I decided on using the diamond mesh painted black and fixed under the boot lid as opposed to over the top. Our other option was to line the cut mesh with the trim that is used on the rear diffuser and affix it over the top of the lid using the holes already in existence, but we could not find any usable/similar material to use. So for now at least, it is mounted underneath with silicon. It has already gone through a 30 minute drive, half of which done in stop and go traffic in 96 degree weather, as well as a couple of thunderstorms/showers, and still steady as a rock.

Thanks to Ray (S~Factor) from S2ki.com that did just about all of the job and I only helped with cleaning the glue (that was the biggest pain in the ass of this entire mod). If anyone local is interested, I'm sure he can give you some help and tips. I'd be happy to share his info.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Looks nice! Very good job. Here are mine. They are on top and extend over the holes in the boot lid. If you look closely you can see they are mounted with black zip ties that go over the outer rim of the mesh, then down through the existing deck lid holes. Actually for the larger mesh pieces I drilled two holes per piece. The smaller pieces just used the existing four holes for each. Mine are the EliseUSA pieces. I guarantee your solution is WAY less expensive and just as nice, if not nicer.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Has anyone replaced all of the louvers with mesh like this?

Yes, all of mine have been replaced. I used all the ELISEUSA pieces. Notice the grill mesh mounts flush with the front of the body, as opposed to recessed as on the Exige. I'd prefer recessed, but I can live with this.

For the sides (nobody makes replacement mesh that I know of) I installed Exige scoops, painted body color, and used the stock Exige mesh. Smaller mesh, but still looks good.

Attachments

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lotusforsale, I just checked ELISEUSA website. So if I am not mistaken, all the grills cost US$1130??
Wow, I just went to there website after this comment. I did searches when I was doing this project over the weekend and thought I saw a post saying it was only $80 for the deck lid grilles. Guess I must've read wrong?

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Lotusforsale, I just checked ELISEUSA website. So if I am not mistaken, all the grills cost US$1130??
EliseUsa makes them to order, they don't stock them. So they charge for their time to make them.

Did I pay $1130 for the set? Well...

Let's just say that if, as HJZ indicated, you can do this yourself you can do it quite economically.

The pieces from Elise USA are stainless steel powder coated. Have the rim welded around the edges, and with the exception of the oil cooler vent pieces are pretty much snap in or double sided taped in (I believe EliseUSA may start recommending my zip tie installation for the deck lid pieces). Notice that w/the EliseUSA pieces you have no exposed holes from the removed plastic grills. What would it cost to fill those holes and respray the deck lid?

I rationalized the cost...rolled a few quarters, packed my lunch a few times, ate Ramen for a few weeks. I drink very little, if any, alcohol, but I would've cut my beer budget if need be. Buying this car to begin with required some rationlization. Got lucky and hit them up when they DID have some pieces in stock that someone backed out of, and were willing to dicker to get rid of them and turn them into cash.

Talk to EliseUsa. See what, if anything, you can work out.

Don't ask me what I paid Fox Valley for the Exige scoops/mesh, painted AR, with SOME mounting hardware. I still had to fabricate two mounting brackets per scoop...

HJZ, there is a thread here showing how somebody cut out the center of their radiator louvers and replaced with mesh. Some guys are making Exige mesh work for the front grills. It can be done cheaper than EliseUsa, but I'm happy with the outcome, and can live with it. Looking forward to see what you come up with!

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
it's possible to do that for the rear panel as well, right?

I believe I saw somewhere, on this board, a thread where someone used mesh to replace the rear panel. I've not seen any kits for it, though.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Looks good! I'm pretty local, hopefully I can see it 'live' sometime. If it's an approx 4h job, I'm all for this mod!
So S-factor did the install or did you (+friend) did it?
Basically you bought all parts from local stores right?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, S~Factor pretty much did all of it. My girlfriend and I sort of helped cleaned the deck lid for maybe 10 minutes. It really would've been an hour job tops if we didn't have to clean the damn glue off from the old louvers. That and I was trying to decide between over or under the hood mounting. Throw some BS in there and we have about 4 hours :)

S~Factor does hooding venting/cutting for the S2000 guys in the Metro NY area. He has done quite a few innovative DIY mods and had all the mesh ready from his projects. I did pay him for his time. I think he ordered the mesh in bulk from somewhere.
Here's some of his work, mine being the latest. S2000 Forums -> The Vented Hood Club

If you are interested, I can put you in touch with him.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Yeah, S~Factor pretty much did all of it. My girlfriend and I sort of helped cleaned the deck lid for maybe 10 minutes. It really would've been an hour job tops if we didn't have to clean the damn glue off from the old louvers. That and I was trying to decide between over or under the hood mounting. Throw some BS in there and we have about 4 hours :)

S~Factor does hooding venting/cutting for the S2000 guys in the Metro NY area. He has done quite a few innovative DIY mods and had all the mesh ready from his projects. I did pay him for his time. I think he ordered the mesh in bulk from somewhere.

Hi HJZ,
Looks great, nice professional look.

I did mine recently, but as a DIY project.

Here is the link to the post: http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f92/winter-project-1-engine-lid-grill-mesh-51979/

A few pics also.

Mine took longer than 4 hours since I had to do everything, but it was not a hard project.

Regards,
Wayne

Attachments

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi HJZ,
Looks great, nice professional look.

I did mine recently, but as a DIY project.

Here is the link to the post: http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f92/winter-project-1-engine-lid-grill-mesh-51979/

A few pics also.

Mine took longer than 4 hours since I had to do everything, but it was not a hard project.

Regards,
Wayne
Wayne, I've searched a few automotive parts stores for the hole plugs and were unsuccessful in finding ones that'd fit nicely and still small in size (cap size wise). How did you have that many holes to fill? I have 8 that I need to take care of but I see in your thread you had holes on the side as well? I don't have them on my deck lid.

That double sided tape is much cleaner than my white silicon :p.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Wayne, I've searched a few automotive parts stores for the hole plugs and were unsuccessful in finding ones that'd fit nicely and still small in size (cap size wise). How did you have that many holes to fill? I have 8 that I need to take care of but I see in your thread you had holes on the side as well? I don't have them on my deck lid.
Hi John,
I got the plugs at Home Depot. They are called Nylon Hole Plugs and come in different sizes. I think I used the 1/4" size ones. You should find them in the cabinetry aisle.

My deck lid has 20 holes in it. There are holes on the sides of the openings, where the louvers were attached with plastic rivets. Your deck lid might be different.

I spray painted them black with Krylon Fusion paint and they just snap into the holes in the lid. Snug fit, have never fallen out. Cost about $5 bucks for all the holes.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Wayne

1 - 17 of 17 Posts