The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
atyclb said:
what happens when you want to upgrade the video card?
I don't think the iMac target consumer cares about upgrading. They're the type that buys a new computer when this one becomes less stylish.

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
transio said:
I don't think the iMac target consumer cares about upgrading. They're the type that buys a new computer when this one becomes less stylish.
Actually, most of the people I know who buy iMacs are students or graphic/web designers who don't really have much need for upgrades and would rather not pay for a full blown Apple tower that they'll never use the potential of.

Though I'm sure many of the type you mention buy iMacs as well...

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Saw this one the other day also.

Apple really has some talented industrial designers -- really neat stuff! I wish it wasn't a "Windows world"...I too have to use a PC

:(

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
transio said:
Ah, this thread reminds me. I forgot to mention that I finally got a new PC. Its not a mac, but thats because I run too much PC specific software (like MS software development stuff, et. al.) so I got this little puppy. Tiny, and cute as can be, and she packs a mean punch, too!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5116734304&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT
looks kinda familiar. We have a couple of these at the office:

Nice little boxes. One has an ATI 9800, the other an NVidia GeForce FX 5950. both a gig a ram, both 2.8 GHz.

cool.

... oh, and that Imac is pretty slick too. :D Lots of ports.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
transio said:
Their target market...yes, maybe. Me, I bought the Mac because I had spent ten years dinking around computers, upgrading components, and was just plain sick and tired of device comptibility issues, driver problems, and the sheer overhead that went into a custom computer system like that. The iMac is great, no temptation to rip it apart and mess with it (ok, so that's not true, I DID upgrade both memory slots to get more RAM).

·
Registered
587 Posts
Goose said:
Saw this one the other day also.

Apple really has some talented industrial designers -- really neat stuff! I wish it wasn't a "Windows world"...I too have to use a PC

:(
Goose,

Their designs look beautiful, I admit, but they have to be the most shoddily constructed computers on the market.

My girlfriend got a PowerBook in January. She babies the thing, carries it everywhere in a case, even retains the packing styrofoam liner for use between the screen and keyboard when folded (apparently this is a necessity if you don't want your screen scratched by the keys). She didn't realize this at first, so the screen is scratched up fairly bad anyway.

So anyway, within a month, the power supply plug has a loose connection (i.e. the slightest touch will cause it to flicker on and off). The wall plug has fallen apart into 2 pieces and won't stay together (she props it up with a book to keep it plugged into the wall). The clasp that holds the screen to the base is so flimsy that the entire screen has become curved (probably partially from using the styrofoam liner).

The hinge between the screen and the base is so stiff that if you adjust the screen without holding the base, the whole computer will rock off the ground and then slam back down onto the table.

The keys are about 10% smaller than a "standard" keyboard so it is absolutely maddening to type on as you are always hitting the wrong keys (I know this isn't unique to the PowerBook, they were doing this on the first iMacs years ago).

I can't emphasize enough that she *babies* this computer and won't even bring it most places out of (perhaps well founded) fear that it will get damaged.

Having taken a few product design classes in college, I don't think any of my professors would have heralded this as a particularly good product.

- John, IBM ThinkPad, 4 years old this month, carries it daily in his backpack along with books with no protective case case, in perfect mechanical working order

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
I have a Powerbook and I've had none of those problems. I'm not saying that it's the best product in the world, but I certainly don't screw with protective sheets or anything like that. I slam it shut, toss it into my bag, and use it wherever.
The keyboard is full size. I just measured the individual keys and they're actually bigger than the keyboard on the Dell next to me.
I can also open and close the screen with the computer sitting on a desk. The hinge isn't too stiff and mine is a relatively light 12" PB.
Mine gets tossed in my bag. I use it wherever I want to use it and I'm not scared of breaking it. Maybe she just got a lemon. They key thing I don't understand. Did you actually measure them? I just checked the Dell's keyboard, a MS keyboard, and the keyboard on our Sun and the keys are all smaller.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
I worked at Apple for a short time as a Mechanical Engineer, and while I can't take responsibility for the PowerBook issues you've observed (didn't work on that project), I can say that I met much of their engineering staff and was generally very impressed. They churn out great designs, designs that are often made extremely difficult to implement due to restrcitive industrial design requirements. Most designs are a compromise; at Apple it seems ID usually wins any debate and the engineers are left to pull rabbits out of a hat, so to speak. The end result is often trend setting and innovative. They do a great job and have some good processes in place to test and qualify products before they're released to market.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
I've had a 12 inch G4 powerbook with none of these issues as well. I too just close it and toss it in the divider of a timbuk2 bag, it's not a padded one just a loose leafe divider that houses the powerbook well. I got a polishing cloth to polish out the scratches on the case, but only for aesthetics. My feet dropped off but I bought a spare set cheap from apple; I consider that normal wear and tear.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Hmm, well I seem to hit on a nerve here.

Matt, I'm sorry; I didn't mean to offend you if you've worked at Apple.

The machine in question is the 15" model, not the 12".

And, no, I've never measured the keys. All I know is they are not the standard size. It seems that they are larger than standard? I guess I just assumed since they were smaller than standard on the iMac, this was the case here as well.

Funny you guys have such different impressions. The funny thing is I notice people in public (planes, libraries, etc) that use the plastic liner between the screen. I get a chuckle every time.

It may just be the current model that is affected. Who knows...

Best,
John

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
suv_bait said:
Matt, I'm sorry; I didn't mean to offend you if you've worked at Apple.
No offense taken! I'm sure you complaints are valid - I just felt that there may be good reasons why things are the way you've observed (the 'other side of the story', so to speak). I'm just a passionate mac-addict and have a hard time doing anything but rave about them. ;)

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
There's a new 15" PB on the desk across from me. The owner tosses it in her bag and takes it home every day. No extra sheets or cushions or anything and no scratches on the screen. I am really surprised to hear about the problems you have seen.
I've never seen anybody that puts anything in their laptop before they close it.
You didn't hit a nerve with me though. I guess I will just consider myself lucky to have gotten one that I'm very satisfied with. If it were stolen tomorrow I'd immediately order an identical replacement. That's how I decide whether or not a purchase was a good one.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts