The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to a great upholstery shop in town and Chuck Risen, the inside of my car looks much better now, and my seats are very very comfortable to sit in now. I went with a tad darker tan leather, with green vinyl trim to match and a diamond pattern. Add in Chuck Risens' great paint work, sub box the fact he put in some hours installing it all, the 06 looks almost brand new inside. I forgot to wipe down the engine covers so the spots on them in the photo is dust or water. The paint work he did was flawless. :bow:

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Very nice. The seats also look a lot more plush.. expensive?

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
~ $2200, but worth it, it's like 10x better than the stock seats I had. No back pain nothing.. its comfy.

The place that did the work was: Twin City Upholstery

Lonnie King was the craftsman I got the pleasure of working with. I gave him a little creative license to do what he wanted. It was a great collaboration.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Have you thought about the leather handbrake cover or decided against it?

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, we talked about that but at the time the upholstery was going in Chuck Risen had my centerline plastic piece in his hands to paint, so Lonnie could not figure out how to attach without the part there. I have left over leather and plan on going over there to ask him about wrapping that as well.

I wonder if he would do a batch of new shift and brake boots that I could pass along to anyone here wanting one. He knows the pattern now and could pretty easily make new ones I would guess.

The other thing I need are those metal floor mat screws. The plastic one's I still have look like poop. Maybe I should just clean them...

Have you thought about the leather handbrake cover or decided against it?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Yes, we talked about that but at the time the upholstery was going in Chuck Risen had my centerline plastic piece in his hands to paint, so Lonnie could not figure out how to attach without the part there. I have left over leather and plan on going over there to ask him about wrapping that as well.

I wonder if he would do a batch of new shift and brake boots that I could pass along to anyone here wanting one. He knows the pattern now and could pretty easily make new ones I would guess.

The other thing I need are those metal floor mat screws. The plastic one's I still have look like poop. Maybe I should just clean them...
Cool!

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Looks great John!

Can I make one suggestion? And this falls into the 'if it was my car category'

Since you have the BRG stuff Chuck painted, another pop would be good. I know he does the AC vent rings (which I'm not crazy about).

One area for a great pop (and I had this before my wheel was recovered) is that plastic ring on the steering wheel around the airbag. Would look REALLY cool in BRG. You'd still have the silver wheel spokes but the green would pop.

Don't need Chuck for it either. Here's the process:

- Order from Automotivetouchup.com. They sell our paint colors (by paint code) in rattle cans and their paint is AWESOME. We are talking glass smooth. I did a sample on a board with Jag French Racing Blue for my Mini Moke sample and the painter was blown away. You'd need to order the adhesion promoter, sand able primer, the paint and the gloss clear coat.

- Remove the airbag - two allen bolts and undo the clip. Search the forum if nervous.

- Have fun masking!

- Sand/prime/wet sand/paint/clear/polish - 5 min between coats of paint (2-3) coats, wait 30 min then 10 min between coats of clear (like 4 coats). You can do it all in an hour.

- To remove the masking, use a very small awl or exacto point.

- Reinstall

- Amaze your friends and be the pride of Bloomington.

You'll also find other uses for the rattle can paint. Again, it's AWESOME.

·
Registered
322 Posts
That looks really nice. Have you thought about replacing the factory floor mat buttons with some nice new shiny ones?

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Why thanks, I am very proud of my car and like to think I have good taste. I too think it looks top notch. I still have lots I want to do, more mechanical than cosmetic things on my mind but I don't have the budget. I've already but 5k into my car in the first 60 days. :panic:

I gotta say this is one of the nicest Lotus interiors I have ever seen. Too bad I won't be able to see it in person, bet it's 100x better.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts