The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to say hello to all and OMG what have I been missing?!?
Picked up an '05 NFB from another ETalker (Gideon) about 3 weeks ago.

Flew out to Orange County Friday and arrived back here early (2am) Sunday morning. Never having even test driven an Elise/Exige before, wasn't sure what I was in for. The car fits perfectly! After 2500 miles/24 hours of driving, I love the car even more. Already have the mod bug.

I live in Leawood around 103rd and stateline. If anyone is driving by on 103 about 3 blocks into KS and sees me out, please stop by!

Looking forward to the next meet.

Derek

·
purveyor of lightness
4,135 Posts
Derek,

JUST moved into our new house in Leawood @ 147th & StateLine... I'm sore from unpacking about 50 boxes today.

There is a fairly active group of KC folks here - Phil, Mike, Bobby, Lisa, Dave, Ben, Jeremiah... go search for Kansas City and you'll see lots of stuff!

Congrats dude - welcome to the fold!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the welcome and congrats to you on your new house. It's amazing from the outside. I read the post from two days ago when you finally got your baby home.

Enjoy the long weekend of unpacking! Look forward to meeting everyone.

Derek

·
Registered
727 Posts
Derek, welcome and congratulations. I have a red '05 and am at 119th and Pennsylvania (half mile east of State Line). Tell us about your car!

Dave, congrats on finally moving in! When is housewarming?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MikeRoberts44,

Do you have a kid that goes to First Impressions Preschool @ 119 & Stateline?
My 5 yr old daughter attends and pointed a red Elise out in the parking lot about two weeks ago. It's great when your daughter can point these out!

Derek

·
Registered
727 Posts
MikeRoberts44,

Do you have a kid that goes to First Impressions Preschool @ 119 & Stateline?
My 5 yr old daughter attends and pointed a red Elise out in the parking lot about two weeks ago. It's great when your daughter can point these out!

Derek
I do! Margo will be four next week. She will be there this summer and probably next year before heading off to kindegarten.

·
Plug Whisperer
6,305 Posts
Congrats- We're probably due for another GTG before long... You should subscribe to the KC GTG thread so that you can stay in the loop. My office is at College and Tomahawk. You'll see my graphite gray Elise parked at the Southwest corner building from time to time... I live out south at 167th and Antioch- Just down the street from Darksol:D

Welcome to the club!

Best,

Phil

·
Registered
162 Posts
Hey Derek,
Glad you survived the trip!
I did a similar drive about a month ago, bringing my Elise from LA to Columbia, MO.
I did spend a night in Scottsdale, AZ, then drove straight through, quick nap in Joplin rest stop, it was a blast.

Phil,
Don't forget about the Columbia boys.
Which thread is the KC GTG one?

Jae

·
Plug Whisperer
6,305 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
howdy and welcome! phil is our party planner and it sounds like he's slacking on a welcome wagon GtG.

oh..and mike...i'm getting tires now. got 9k out of my last set. i'm going to avoid the yokas..they last few sets I got just didn't wear well.

i'm starting to get a little comcerned...they've been trying to figure how to get it in the rack for a while now... o_O

so...phil...we'll be waitingfor your e-mail...

·
Registered
727 Posts
oh..and mike...i'm getting tires now. got 9k out of my last set. i'm going to avoid the yokas..they last few sets I got just didn't wear well.

i'
Three of my Bridgestones arrived today. They look great, but I'm not sure where they left their buddy. I hope it shows up in the next day or so. After I get them on the car, I will be shopping for some all season tires for the old wheels. I'm looking at Goodyear, Michelin, and Kumho.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Three of my Bridgestones arrived today. They look great, but I'm not sure where they left their buddy.
Hey -- I got the Bridgestones. They will be my first set ever.

I'm now a little wary and I really am not sure what's going on... So -- when they went to balance the tires, they said the wheels were bent "a little." Aside from the speed bumps they have ever 5 feet at Sprint, I've not hit any curbs and have no idea how wheels bend. When I asked what this meant to me, they said I might feel the back wheels wobble "a little".

Tires felt great until I hit the highway and had a pretty nasty controlling the car. I'm hoping the tires may just be super sticky -- but this is the first time in this car that I totally felt I might run it off the road when going in a straight line.

Ever heard of this or think it might be just the tires? These are the Potenza 960AS Pole Position tires. Let me know if you get the same type and have the same issue.

ttys,
l

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hallett is Close

You KC guys need to get together and make a trip to Hallett for a day or two on the track. Hallett is a blast in an Elise (haven't driven an Exige yet on the track).

Once a month Hallett holds 2 days of High Speed Touring. For approximately $100 per day you get 5 to 6 on-track sessions.

Let me know if you're interested. Check out Hallett's webstie for more information.

Tim Webb
[email protected]

·
Registered
727 Posts
Hey -- I got the Bridgestones. They will be my first set ever.

I'm now a little wary and I really am not sure what's going on... So -- when they went to balance the tires, they said the wheels were bent "a little." Aside from the speed bumps they have ever 5 feet at Sprint, I've not hit any curbs and have no idea how wheels bend. When I asked what this meant to me, they said I might feel the back wheels wobble "a little".

Tires felt great until I hit the highway and had a pretty nasty controlling the car. I'm hoping the tires may just be super sticky -- but this is the first time in this car that I totally felt I might run it off the road when going in a straight line.

Ever heard of this or think it might be just the tires? These are the Potenza 960AS Pole Position tires. Let me know if you get the same type and have the same issue.

ttys,
l
The bent wheels don't sound good! I would want to check that out. They should be able to show you by putting it on a lift and spinning the tire so you can see the wobble. I'm sure Phil would be happy to do that, also. Heck, I can probably even do it.

I got the RE01-Rs which are comprable to the AD07s. They will probably get slightly better mileage, but not much, and still not good in the snow. Your 960AS is an all season tire, which may well be your best choice if you only want to have a single set of wheels. They have our size in the 960AS for the rears, but they don't come very close on the fronts. What sizes did you get?

The AS tires will not feel nearly as crisp as the AD07s. A weird tire size on the front could also make some difference in handling.

I would be happy to look at everything and give you my two cents.

My fourth wheel and tire still have not arrived and are now declared an "exception".

·
Plug Whisperer
6,305 Posts
Regarding trouble shooting, you kno I'm always up for it...

Mike, I just got 3 of the 6 tires and wheels I ordered today... Weird that I had the same odd shipment that you did... How is it that two guys in the same area rec'd partial tire orders that were sent from the same shop on about the same day... Is someone trying to keep us off the road?

Perhaps The Dave had something to do with this:huh::D

Perplexed,

Phil

·
Registered
30 Posts
The bent wheels don't sound good! I would want to check that out. They should be able to show you by putting it on a lift and spinning the tire so you can see the wobble.
Well -- they actually did have it on a balancer, but I didn't know what the heck I was looking at. I honestly didn't even know you could bend a wheel... :clap: (go Lisa!!) Moreover, I'm not sure how I would have bent a couple wheels -- you all know i don't race -- heck, i hardly ever drive...

I did only get the rears this time since the fronts are just fine (last time I got new OEM fronts, it turned out there was very little wear on them).

I did ask someone at work that wondered if the tires were aligned -- i did have to leave (it was 3 hours to figure out how to lift the car and change 2 tires) for a meeting -- so perhaps that may be part of the issue.

I would like, however, next GtG to go to Phil's. I looked up how to change an air filter, and I can tell you I have no way to remove a tire. I could try to run my car off the side of a box or lawn mower, but I think that may be not such a good idea. I also don't know how to adjust the windows (can this be done using tiny computer screwdrivers?) and other random things.

Don't forget -- my mod is the McDonald's cupholder under the seat. I've had maybe 4 since 2005. I'm really careful with them.

Thanks for the offer to take a look, too -- If I can't get the rears to stop pulling out from behind me, I'll just have to work from home until it's resolved :nanner2:

l

·
Registered
727 Posts
Regarding trouble shooting, you kno I'm always up for it...

Mike, I just got 3 of the 6 tires and wheels I ordered today... Weird that I had the same odd shipment that you did... How is it that two guys in the same area rec'd partial tire orders that were sent from the same shop on about the same day... Is someone trying to keep us off the road?

Perhaps The Dave had something to do with this:huh::D

Perplexed,

Phil
Does that mean someone now has a full set of Elise tires? Do you have a left rear RE01-R? That's the one I'm missing. Why did you order 6?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts