The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Given her record, I just don't get it. Maybe marketing trumps talent?

·
Super Moderator
5,453 Posts
Given her record, I just don't get it. Maybe marketing trumps talent?
Being a development driver is about a lot more than just fast (although fast is good) - it is about ability to give good feedback to the engineers, be reliable and consistent, and have good connections...

It doesn't hurt that its a PR positive either!! :)

·
Premium Member
4,098 Posts
Wa-Wa-Wa!

Aedo does have some valid points..............

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
Use her in the new Evora 400 Marketing Videos, driving the car at its physical limits and then getting out... "If looks could kill" ad series.

·
Premium Member
4,098 Posts
Use her in the new Evora 400 Marketing Videos, driving the car at its physical limits and then getting out... "If looks could kill" ad series.
OMG that is Brilliant!

·
Registered
405 Posts
Like it or not, nowadays racing is about the spectacle more than the race. Especially with all the cost cutting and how restrictive the rules are in F1, anyone who watches to be amazed by technology or fast lap times is going to be disappointed anyway.

As far as I'm concerned, unless they change the rules to allow some more design freedom, they might as well put a hottie in every car and let them all drive a couple of seconds slower. At least it will be more fun to watch the podiums and the commercials they make.

·
Premium Member
5,176 Posts
Like it or not, nowadays racing is about the spectacle more than the race. Especially with all the cost cutting and how restrictive the rules are in F1, anyone who watches to be amazed by technology or fast lap times is going to be disappointed anyway.

As far as I'm concerned, unless they change the rules to allow some more design freedom, they might as well put a hottie in every car and let them all drive a couple of seconds slower. At least it will be more fun to watch the podiums and the commercials they make.

Sadly for us this is a reality we all have to live with. Maybe next year every driver will be required to chew tobacco and wear cowboy hats?

·
Registered
7,116 Posts

i totally agree... wet t-shirt champagne. that pretty much about the value of F1 these days.

current champ is kick starting a rap career... why not?

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Aww thread moved! This was about a lot more than racing! I thought the general lotus public had a right to know! :D

·
Illegal Alien
4,715 Posts
She been competitively driving since 8 years old. Just because she is hot doesn't mean she is not a talented driver.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Being a development driver is about a lot more than just fast (although fast is good) - it is about ability to give good feedback to the engineers, be reliable and consistent, and have good connections...

It doesn't hurt that its a PR positive either!! :)
No. Both are vital. The valuable feedback comes with putting the car at the limit, not driving under it. I can drive my race car under the limit all day and it can feel fine. At the limit, it's a very different story.

·
Registered
424 Posts

Well, look at the Barcelona test times, more than a second quicker than pole last year.

I take your point about the Technical Regulations, particularly in regard to the power units, DRS, etc. The TWG have painted themselves into a corner. They want to cut costs, but the 'technology' aspect has instead increased them. Then they restrict testing and moan about reliability in the early days of 2014. I think we might improve the spectacle by moving the FIA from France to, say, the UK. It is fascinating that, in the year the FIA wanted to 'control costs,' several teams essentially folded financially. Effective rule making? I don't think so.

As for Carmen, I'm sure she's a nice person and all. Developing the new chassis requires pushing to the limit, and her record is not compelling in that regard, given the GP2/3 rules and her performance within them. Do Lotus want to gain marketing headlines? Or do they want to win? With the new engine, what excuses do they have in hand?

Personally, I'd hire Nigel Mansell or JPM to shake down the chassis. Remember Nigel's first test session with Williams? He dropped two seconds in the first session after simply softening the spring rates that Boutsen/Patrese were running. When Carmen starts making her presence felt on podiums, then sure, give her a shot. Until then, get the lap times down.

Stephen.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts