The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
I like it. Brings back the old sans serif font of the original logo. They could’ve done much worse.

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
It's not an improvement, but at least it doesn't do away with any of the symbolic elements and it's still a roundel. I don't like how the sans serif LOTUS doesn't follow the bottom of the rounded triangle for the first time ever. It looks awkward.

Speaking generically, I don't see why companies want to dilute brand identity by messing with a logo. It has always had an air of 'rearranging the deck chairs' about it. As a customer, I often wonder why they're not putting that effort into something I care about instead. My iconic example of doing it right (most of the time) is Pratt & Whitney Aircraft. They've used essentially the same logo (which even tells you why you should buy their product on it) since the 1920s at the latest with the exception of one brief heavy-handed imposition of an ugly generic thing by United Technologies after they were bought in the 1980s.

I suppose graphic designers are going to do their jobs, but do we really need website redesigns every six months and new logos every two years?

·
Premium Member
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I understand what they’re going for in terms of simplicity (the whole add lightness philosophy), but I’m not a fan of it. To me the new logo lacks class.

·
Registered
32 Posts
At first I thought to myself, "Whoa, they cheapened the logo. Sure hope they didn't spend a lot of money on a branding agency for this!"

Then I realized that Lotus is just simplifying and adding lightness to their logo!

Either way, it looks cheap at a time when most brands have actually stylized their logos even more.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Back in the day, the "Lotus" brand was an understatement. A heritage built on racing, not rhetoric. It was more "watch what we do, not what we say". It was backed up with several World Championships and a victory in the Indy 500, the first rear engine car to do so. Today, with Geely they have turned that reputation on it's head.

Now of course, the new ownership offers investment capital but what have they done so far? Introduced a multi-million dollar electric hypercar with a lot of pomp and circumstance but absolutely no proof, not a single video of this car even running under it's own power, let alone a single documented road test. Just promises on paper. Now Evija will appear in Monterey. Will this be nothing more than a static display viewed only from behind ropes? How far along is Lotus with the actual production version? Isn't it only going to be sold for "show and display" in the US anyway? Why even show it here then? Oh, so all can see that the company is back for real and is a viable alternative to Ferrari, McLaren, and Bugatti. Wasn't that where Bahar was headed? Where does this leave the current Lotus enthusiast?

So now we have a new logo. It's already being used on the corporate website. More style over substance. Instantly, every dealership has literature, marquee signs and logos on their walls that are outdated. Whatever few dealers we have left are going to have to pony up for new replacements. So who is pulling the strings at Lotus? They might as well just replace the letters on the roundel with G E E L Y. Can someone do a photoshop of that? I wonder what Chapman would have thought about all this posturing. There is another thread suggesting new car names. I submit: Evajina. That's Evija's feisty little sister. Don't ask about her reputation.

On the other hand maybe once the logo in incorporated into a 3D badge and placed on the nose of an actual car I should withhold judgment but the sticker just isn't doing it for me. Good grief, look at Colin's "stickman" initials.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I think it looks childlike and, as someone said, inelegant. Lotus has a few things that Geely should fix because - quite frankly - they were/are broken:

1. US dealer network and quick access to parts supplies.
2. Lack of ANY defined new models that are under $125,000.
3. Lack of any affiliation with, sponsorship of, or factory support for a racing team in the US.
4. Total absence of advertising in the US.

So their solution to the above is to build (I'm sorry, I meant "say they are going to build") a car that only the Justin Biebers of the world can afford and to muck up a logo that has a great heritage behind it? If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Dear Lotus: fix the stuff that is broke (sic). Is Danny boy back without us knowing it?

·
Premium Member
2,135 Posts
I wonder what Chapman would have thought about all this posturing.

Oh fer chrissake

Chapman would have asked, will it make me more money?

He the consummate salesman, or con man depending on which side of his deal you were on.

He ran Lotus as a cash cow so that he could go racing. Nothing more, nothing less.

Occasionally he took actual interest in street cars, mostly when trying to figure out how to make them cost less.

Was he brilliant? Absolutely

But it was always about the money.

Nothing more high minded than that

·
Registered
960 Posts
The new logo is absolutely atrocious. Totally unacceptable for a brand with as much history and heritage as Lotus. Really just painful to even look at. The folks saying it looks less sophisticated are exactly right. How disappointing...

·
Registered
306 Posts
To me it looks more MODERN... I am still on the fence though. It looks good on the wheel posted earlier. I do like the "simplify" philosophy. Also, looks like something I could have made myself using Microsoft paint (lol).

Attachments

·
Registered
306 Posts
I just noticed that the font on the rear of the Evija is still the "OLD" font. Was this logo change an afterthought? You think they would have made it with the "NEW" font. Where is the continuity?

Attachments

·
Registered
347 Posts
Probably without knowing it Exigegus, you prove my point. It wasn't by accident that many consider Lotus F1 the best looking graphics and paint on the grid for so many years. Yes, he was a brilliant mind and had a dark side but personally, I think Chapman, in cooperation with sponsors, put a lot of thought into marketing "image". Actually he was at the forefront.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts