The Lotus Cars Community banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Illegal Alien
4,598 Posts
...Lotus has always been willing to do one-offs if the customer wants to pay. ...
That view has gone out the window, was non-existent on my order placed in 2011 for a '12 car and very locked down on my '17 car order while new management has loosened the reins some with Lotus Exclusives the focus on improving manufacturing efficiency, profitability and quality has stopped that modification level at least offering an open check book on a $125-$150k car; I went to the factory and talked to the head of European sales and the Motorsport group about the mods I requested, but to no luck. Now if you want to commissions a one-off $2mm car maybe they will talk, or maybe not and will they even get it built "your way", that is questionable today, they are missing items selected on the standard order form.

·
Premium Member
2,241 Posts
Connected with Morris Dowton on Linkedin, he was head of Lotus Manufacturing 1965 through 2003.

He opined the following, relative to the logo: "I think anyone who purchases a new future Lotus, I’m sure the Lotus factory would fit a badge of the customers choice, or get the Dealer
to fit one."

Lotus has always been willing to do one-offs if the customer wants to pay.

Or...swap out the badge yourself.
I think you’re giving them too much credit (at least judging by my ordering experience).

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
That view has gone out the window, was non-existent on my order placed in 2011 for a '12 car and very locked down on my '17 car order while new management has loosened the reins some with Lotus Exclusives the focus on improving manufacturing efficiency, profitability and quality has stopped that modification level at least offering an open check book on a $125-$150k car; I went to the factory and talked to the head of European sales and the Motorsport group about the mods I requested, but to no luck. Now if you want to commissions a one-off $2mm car maybe they will talk, or maybe not and will they even get it built "your way", that is questionable today, they are missing items selected on the standard order form.
This is really bad to hear. When we were there, every corner of the place had a one off customer spec going on. Have to say I have somewhat planned to go over there again and tell them what I had in mind and take their suggestions and create that “lifetime car”

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
BTW, at Pebble Beach debut

B03FB012-167C-4D27-A323-916F0CE4E966.jpg

Our beloved logo

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Logo still alive, for now, on the Evija

A6750950-CDB3-441A-89B4-904F5492EBDC.jpg

I’m sure we can find a way to remove and replace whatever sac religious logo they come up with in future. If you want.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I find it telling that the new Lotus Evija caries the old logo and logos around the car are all in the old/classic style.

One would think the new car would carry the new logo.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Maybe the new logo will grow on me but I am in the previous logo camp. Things change. Something about the new one reminds me of print off stickers designed by an amateur at their local Kinko's for fun.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
It's not that bad. They should have left it alone, but they couldn't stop themselves for whatever reason. It could have been a LOT worse.
At least they didn't go back to the throat lozenge!

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I, for one, am not a fan. Not a fan of this branding trend known as "blanding". So many brands these days are jumping on the "web 2.0" school of design where everything is "clean and modern" or "dynamic and exciting". These are all just buzzwords that hide what's really happening: the flattening of any uniqueness. Why? My hypothesis is globalization and the compression of profit margins. Basically, it's harder to make a buck with everyone demanding cheaper and better all the while being flanked by stakeholders demanding more and more profit. So you need to sanitize and make your product/service appeal to as many customers as possible across all sorts of strata. Socio-economic, religious, political, etc. At the very least, you're trying not to offend anyone's sensibilities.

You can see it everywhere: https://boingboing.net/2018/12/13/interesting-logos-are-being-re.html?_ga=2.136362160.1899094687.1566424430-378530057.1562880844

For anyone with a passing interest in marketing trends and design:

"Perhaps it is unsuprising, then, that the blanding trend isn’t limited to tech. Even some of today’s most established brands have erased their identity and, in one turquoise swoop, neutered their brand. Take Peter Saville’s controversial redesign of Burberry’s wordmark. The radical use of a neutral type eliminated all decorative elements. In Burberry’s case, these details weren’t superfluous; they happened to evoke style and class and heritage and something nobody else had—something that was, for lack of a better word, Burberry. Celine, too, went minimal recently, killing its accent and adjusting the spacing of its wordmark to “enable a simplified and more balanced proportion” that is designed to read as well on Instagram as it does on the side of a building. Blanding, the suggestion seems to be, is just good business."

From the Fast Company article: https://www.fastcompany.com/90276496/the-hottest-branding-trend-of-the-year-is-also-the-worst

·
Registered
306 Posts
I, for one, am not a fan. Not a fan of this branding trend known as "blanding". So many brands these days are jumping on the "web 2.0" school of design where everything is "clean and modern" or "dynamic and exciting". These are all just buzzwords that hide what's really happening: the flattening of any uniqueness. Why? My hypothesis is globalization and the compression of profit margins. Basically, it's harder to make a buck with everyone demanding cheaper and better all the while being flanked by stakeholders demanding more and more profit. So you need to sanitize and make your product/service appeal to as many customers as possible across all sorts of strata. Socio-economic, religious, political, etc. At the very least, you're trying not to offend anyone's sensibilities.

You can see it everywhere: https://boingboing.net/2018/12/13/interesting-logos-are-being-re.html?_ga=2.136362160.1899094687.1566424430-378530057.1562880844

For anyone with a passing interest in marketing trends and design:

"Perhaps it is unsuprising, then, that the blanding trend isn’t limited to tech. Even some of today’s most established brands have erased their identity and, in one turquoise swoop, neutered their brand. Take Peter Saville’s controversial redesign of Burberry’s wordmark. The radical use of a neutral type eliminated all decorative elements. In Burberry’s case, these details weren’t superfluous; they happened to evoke style and class and heritage and something nobody else had—something that was, for lack of a better word, Burberry. Celine, too, went minimal recently, killing its accent and adjusting the spacing of its wordmark to “enable a simplified and more balanced proportion” that is designed to read as well on Instagram as it does on the side of a building. Blanding, the suggestion seems to be, is just good business."

From the Fast Company article: https://www.fastcompany.com/90276496/the-hottest-branding-trend-of-the-year-is-also-the-worst
Wow! All that is extremely interesting... I failed to notice this trend of "Blanding" with companies now days. :eek:

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
I'd noticed it, but not figured out that it was deliberate. I think it already looks very dated (NASA meatball vs worm logo anybody?) and we'll be cycling back toward logos with personality soon enough.

·
Premium Member
6,190 Posts
Advertising companies are already pretty bland IMHO. The ultimate stupidity is the insurance industry. Let's see how close to retarded we can make the humour.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I don't hate the new logo - I've actually seen an old Lotus logo that seemed similar. The color isn't great but ok but I can kinda see it going lighter to reflect the green battery future (better than the blue others use). The thing that looks off to me is the writing is straight so it looks odd agains the curved bottom.

FWIW VW has just joined the trend, changing theirs in a similar manner too......

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/volkswagen-changing-logo-flat-design-lotus-frankfurt/

·
Registered
241 Posts
I'm not a fan of the new logo, I hate the colors and don't like how the new text doesn't follow the shape. That being said I like the font, and the new look of the ACBC. So, while waiting for my ever delayed flight, my girlfriend whipped up a better one in Photoshop, what do you all think? One for marketing the other for the cars.

Attachments

41 - 60 of 63 Posts