The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yay! Proud mom-to-be of a 2007 Aspen White Exige S w/ all options. So finally the ball is rolling! Overnighted my paperwork and payment and got the shipping all set up (go figure the car I would find would be on the complete opposite side of the US) - approximate delivery on the 5/19, but I'm sure it will be after that just to piss me off. Five years of dreaming becomes a reality. For all you who didn't just walk into a nearby dealer, how did you deal with the suspense?? I can barely function! And before you ask why I didn't fly out to pick it up, it's over 1700 miles away and uh, well that's just to far - even for my Lotus.

Too bad Chicago is such a lame place to have a nice car - I think I might be able to drive it like 4 months out of the year. I sure would like to know who's in my neck of the woods from this forum, so make sure you give me a shout.

Well, I'm sure you'll be seeing a lot of me around here once I get it. I'm going to have so many questions as I am new to owning/driving anything remotely sporty/fast/etc.

Be seeing ya!

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts
Congrats! :D

Post pictures when you get it...

And go really slowly out of the driveway at the dealership...

the Lotus is low...:up:

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
welcome :wave:, even though i've already welcomed you in the other thread :p

enjoy the lotus, and theres some people that drive their cars in the winter. So if your feeling up for it you can definitely drive it all year round.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Congrats!
You will have fun in that car.

Please post some pictures when you get it!

M

·
Registered
81 Posts
You are indeed braver than I. I would never purchase a used car sight unseen, no matter how much I wanted it or what kind of a reputation the car has :eek:

Good luck and enjoy!

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Kate is that you??

If not identify yourself and be sure to come see me at FVMC to take care of your sweet ride!!!

T.J.

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
:shim:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
For all you who didn't just walk into a nearby dealer, how did you deal with the suspense?? I can barely function! And before you ask why I didn't fly out to pick it up, it's over 1700 miles away and uh, well that's just to far - even for my Lotus.

Waited about 4 years. It was quite a bit late. Months and months. We all waited.

Drove it 3000 miles to get it home. Including 1700 miles in one leg. :)

Welcome.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
congrats! the wait was worse for me, even after I had it delivered, I couldn't drive it for more then a week because of the delay in paper work. It was sitting in my garage, for 10 days before I could really drive it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Congrats! :D

Post pictures when you get it...

And go really slowly out of the driveway at the dealership...

the Lotus is low...:up:
Ah yes. Well I have spent the last 6 years or so afraid of all parking lots and speed bumps anyway cuz I have a 99 Eclipse that is lowered with a body kit and have used that as kind of my "guinea pig" to find out what entrances I am capable of driving over. The Lotus should be a piece of cake. But if not, that's one of the benefits of working at a dealer - bodyshop friends! : )

And yes TJ - it is I! You will be the first to drive the car (even before me). . .cuz I'm calling you the second it arrives so you can gingerly scoot it across Ogden Ave to inspect it. (btw - I tried calling you out on another thread to tell you it was me : P ). (Another sidebar: at the dealer, I go by Kate, but outside of work, I go by Kat - story behind all that but we can chat later).

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome! Never thought I'd actually make it here!

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Congrats

Welcome to the "club".......

·
Registered
787 Posts
Yay! Proud mom-to-be of a 2007 Aspen White Exige S w/ all options. So finally the ball is rolling! Overnighted my paperwork and payment and got the shipping all set up (go figure the car I would find would be on the complete opposite side of the US) - approximate delivery on the 5/19, but I'm sure it will be after that just to piss me off. Five years of dreaming becomes a reality. For all you who didn't just walk into a nearby dealer, how did you deal with the suspense?? I can barely function! And before you ask why I didn't fly out to pick it up, it's over 1700 miles away and uh, well that's just to far - even for my Lotus.

Too bad Chicago is such a lame place to have a nice car - I think I might be able to drive it like 4 months out of the year. I sure would like to know who's in my neck of the woods from this forum, so make sure you give me a shout.

Well, I'm sure you'll be seeing a lot of me around here once I get it. I'm going to have so many questions as I am new to owning/driving anything remotely sporty/fast/etc.

Be seeing ya!
Welcome! You should be able to get a solid 7 months of driving in. April 1st through October 31st at the least. That's a little bit longer than the typical boating season around here. I usually would put my yacht in around April 15th (tax day) and pull it out around October 1st. So see, it's not that bad!

Watch the potholes, they can swallow an Elise up and give you lots of damage. Don't forget there is a track day at Autobahn sponsored by FVMC. A good way to get to know the car and the local Lotus folks.

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
Welcome Kat. You should come to LOG29 and hang out with the couple hundred other Lotus cars, not to mention all of us fun people. LOG29.com.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
ok, Kat... I will be happy to check it out. Sorry i guess i missed the other thread. Congrats, i cant wait to see it!!

T.J.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
Yep........in the olden days, we had to order our Elises.......sight unseen....and wait for up to 2 years ( I waited 18 months ).....didn't really even get a test drive before I hopped in and drove it home. ( but this is my 3rd Lotus, so I knew what to expect and how to drive it )

·
Registered
20 Posts
Funny how cars are shipped all over the country and overlap each other. I bought a car in Chi from FVMCs and had it shipped to Texas, and another guy in Ohio bought a car in Dallas and had it shipped to him. All the time I see where cars are criss-crossing the country. Pretty neat the way the transport companies are making all that cash. Keeping the US economy going! We could all stop that, if we'd just search locally more often, and give and take as to what we want in the car. Like that's going to happen!

Buying cross country is kind of spooky. You just have to know what you want, and gamble big time that everything will go fine. Don't see much complaining that somebody got a bad deal. Most always things turn out OK. Especially important, I think, is to buy from a dealer who sells big ticket cars like Lambos or Ferarri's. Somebody who deals in that sort of cash is unlikely to screw somebody on a mere Lotus sale, wouldn't you think?

Bob

·
Registered
215 Posts
Welcome from another local.

You should get alot more than 4 months of driving around here. The rule that I go by is I wait to bring them out untill we get a really good rain after all the snow is gone and don't put them up untill snow is once again falling.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Hi Kat, and welcome! If you're willing to cruise up north a bit check the "Midwest Region" section for "WI/IL cruises." Also, look up Phlypside, the NFWD (Not Front Wheel Drive) guys go on cruises anywhere from the NW burbs to far west.
If you're free next Monday the 18th come out to Blackhawk farms in South Beloit and visit with a bunch of us there for the Lotus Corps track day.

And depending on how hardcore you are, you can drive year round with snow tires. Here's Ramsen from last winter.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 54 Posts