The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am new to this forum and a first time Lotus Owner. Looks like a great site, so thought I would join. Just picked up a '05 Elise yesterday at the Lotus Dealer in Detroit. Great guys to deal with...definitely top notch and some amazing eye candy in their showroom! Anyway, I have a couple dumb questions as I await the arrival of my Elise Owner's Manual...first off, how does one remove the oil dipstick to check the oil? I have tried and tried to no avail as it seems to be jammed in there or stuck and second...last night after fueling up, my check engine light came on...naturally, I assumed it was something to do with the cap, so I loosened it and put it back on, but the light still is on. The car seems to run fine and the guy at the dealership is also looking into it. Any help/insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Krug

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
welcome! a couple people on here have had similar issues with the fuel filler cap....

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
Hello, I am new to this forum and a first time Lotus Owner. Looks like a great site, so thought I would join. Just picked up a '05 Elise yesterday at the Lotus Dealer in Detroit. Great guys to deal with...definitely top notch and some amazing eye candy in their showroom! Anyway, I have a couple dumb questions as I await the arrival of my Elise Owner's Manual...first off, how does one remove the oil dipstick to check the oil? I have tried and tried to no avail as it seems to be jammed in there or stuck and second...last night after fueling up, my check engine light came on...naturally, I assumed it was something to do with the cap, so I loosened it and put it back on, but the light still is on. The car seems to run fine and the guy at the dealership is also looking into it. Any help/insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Krug
The oil dipstick in my car does take a bit of a tug to remove. If the dealer is already looking into the MIL, just have them take care of it. Otherwise, try a Kragen's, Pepboys, Autozone, etc. Often they will loan you an OBDII scanner and you can pull the code. I think it is highly likely that it was your fuel filler cap.

Try here for a PDF owner's manual until you get yours: owner's manual

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
It is most likely a loose gas cap, but will take several key cycles before the MIL will extinguish. You can always go to Autozone and have them do a complementary scan/reset. Welcome.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for your input and also for posting the manual pages!!!, I really appreciate it. I did a search on the whole dipstick thing on this site and came across some suggestions that it would come out easier once warm, so I drove it, but still can't remove it. We'll see what they say from Auto Europe since they last serviced it. I'll see if I can get some pics posted soon. Car is an '05 storm titanium with yellow calipers, performance flywheel, aft mkt k&N oversized airintake. Planning on finishing off with yellow racing stripes. Hope you all have a great weekend. This car is a blast to drive!

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Welcome. We want pics of your new ride.

Edit: I should probably say "I" want pics of your new ride. I can't speak for anyone but myself. :)

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
There's a strong group of Elise owners in Detroit that I use to be apart of. You might want to join Great Lakes Lotus Club (http://www.greatlakeslotus.com/). Kestrel-jump into action!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts