The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Usually my posts are pointless/comical... but I feel like you guys will appreciate this one.

Nobody makes a K24 turbo manifold that I like, so I made my own yesterday.

I have it all fitted and tacked up. I'll probably finish welding it tonight.

I decided on an equal length ram horn style manifold. It should give me the fastest spooling and little/no reversion. I haven't added the waste gate yet because I need to mock up my exhaust system first.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
In case you are wondering,

-This is the first manifold I've ever made, so if you think it sucks... I don't really care.

-That is a PTE 5558 turbo. It should put me somewhere around 450whp.

-I went with short runners instead of long runners because I would rather have my turbo spool quicker instead of maximizing every last drop of hp. (I have discussed this for weeks with some fellow turbo guys).

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
I agree Pooter,
On a Lotus, speed of spooling greatly outweighs maximum HP. Plus, at 450 HP, very few people would comment the Lotus chassis needs MORE HP to feel right.

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
I only wish that I had the skills and patience to do something like that!

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It took a lot of patience. I totally understand why quality manifolds are super expensive. Welding it together is the easy part... Cutting, sanding, beveling, and making all the pieces fit is super annoying.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
-This is the first manifold I've ever made, so if you think it sucks... I don't really care.
not only does it not suck... but I'm starting to wonder if you told the truth about this being your first mani

:clap:

whats your time table till completion at right now?

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
not only does it not suck... but I'm starting to wonder if you told the truth about this being your first mani

:clap:

whats your time table till completion at right now?
Well, I have probably somewhere around 12 hours into it. I spent about 5 hours one night just cutting and trying to figure out how it should go together... then I got stuck (and frustrated) and ripped it all apart. My first design was a complete failure. My friend Sharkey told me to make it like a traditional ram horn Honda manifold... so I listened to his advice. It's hard not to take his advice considering that his Supra makes 1300hp and he made his own manifold too.

Unfortunately, I am going all out with this build. It's going to take much longer than I expected because I am fabricating alot of stuff. Also, I now own the dash setup from Frank's Ronin Exige. I will be making a completely new dash to house that. I am ripping out the shift mechanism and likely using a KTuned Race Spec mechanism.

I am also making a complete modular cage. It won't be legal for any kind of racing. It will look like a regular full cage... but it will have removable sections if I just want to take a Sunday drive around town.

At any rate, my next step is to get the exhaust system done. After that, I will be working on the truss that will support the exhaust system and part of the wing.

·
** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
Looks very nice. Let us know how your project works out.

San

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
jesus - that rocks. Sweet work.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well whaddaya know... it fits perfect!

Intercooler parts and TIAL Q blow off valve should show up Friday. I ordered a bunch of stuff just to see what I can fit.

·
Registered
935 Posts
re: Turbo manifold

This looks very nice. I managed to score some Inconel tubing off e-bay for a very good price. .029 wall is stronger at 1400F than 16 gauge stainless and much lighter. It appears that TIG welding it is not too hard.

My personal preference is to buy Burns collectors. I believe they are worth a few HP... Some people do not share my opinion or the desire to pay so much for a collector. :)

For low boost an EFR turbo with built-in waste-gate and blow-off may solve a lot of packaging issues..... I think a built-in re-circulating blow-off is fine for all applications. It just does not make that sound... The built-in waste-gate may not work for high-boost. However, it can be upgraded with springs and dual-port can.

K-tuned shifter is the best for K transmissions. They are 5 mins down the road from me. I have been looking at it for a long time... It is a work of art. It is designed for a FWD Honda. K-tuned will supply any length cable, so you can loop it around. I went with Quaife sequential, so no more shifters for me. :)

Above are my opinions. I do not sell any products. I have an EFR 7064, although I had a S362 before.. I use all kinds of K-tuned adapters, and water pump block-off. They are a God's gift for Honda swaps!

Just FYI.

Anton

Well, I have probably somewhere around 12 hours into it. I spent about 5 hours one night just cutting and trying to figure out how it should go together... then I got stuck (and frustrated) and ripped it all apart. My first design was a complete failure. My friend Sharkey told me to make it like a traditional ram horn Honda manifold... so I listened to his advice. It's hard not to take his advice considering that his Supra makes 1300hp and he made his own manifold too.

Unfortunately, I am going all out with this build. It's going to take much longer than I expected because I am fabricating alot of stuff. Also, I now own the dash setup from Frank's Ronin Exige. I will be making a completely new dash to house that. I am ripping out the shift mechanism and likely using a KTuned Race Spec mechanism.

I am also making a complete modular cage. It won't be legal for any kind of racing. It will look like a regular full cage... but it will have removable sections if I just want to take a Sunday drive around town.

At any rate, my next step is to get the exhaust system done. After that, I will be working on the truss that will support the exhaust system and part of the wing.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Looks very nice, but just wondering, I don't see a wastegate flange anywhere? Is that turbo internally gated?

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Looks very nice, but just wondering, I don't see a wastegate flange anywhere? Is that turbo internally gated?
Good eye. I have yet to put my wastegate in because I need to mock up the entire exhaust system first. The exhaust will ultimately decide how much room I have to work with for the gate.

I have a sweet purple TIAL wastegate with a matching TIAL Q blow off valve.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
can you make me wing mounts puhleaseeeeee
I will once I have time. My 3" stainless 90's just arrived, so I gotta start my exhaust system. Also, my intercooler stuff is gonna be here tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This looks very nice. I managed to score some Inconel tubing off e-bay for a very good price. .029 wall is stronger at 1400F than 16 gauge stainless and much lighter. It appears that TIG welding it is not too hard.

My personal preference is to buy Burns collectors. I believe they are worth a few HP... Some people do not share my opinion or the desire to pay so much for a collector. :)

For low boost an EFR turbo with built-in waste-gate and blow-off may solve a lot of packaging issues..... I think a built-in re-circulating blow-off is fine for all applications. It just does not make that sound... The built-in waste-gate may not work for high-boost. However, it can be upgraded with springs and dual-port can.

K-tuned shifter is the best for K transmissions. They are 5 mins down the road from me. I have been looking at it for a long time... It is a work of art. It is designed for a FWD Honda. K-tuned will supply any length cable, so you can loop it around. I went with Quaife sequential, so no more shifters for me. :)

Above are my opinions. I do not sell any products. I have an EFR 7064, although I had a S362 before.. I use all kinds of K-tuned adapters, and water pump block-off. They are a God's gift for Honda swaps!

Just FYI.

Anton
K-tuned actually said their shifter wouldn't be a good solution for my application. I still want to order one though just to prove them wrong.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts