The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I am the proud owner of a 2014 Lotus Evora for a little over 4 years already. With this whole quarantine lockdown my battery died for the first time and the trunk release hatch is not working. The closest dealer is about 600 miles away so no luck there. I was wondering if I should try pulling harder (risk breaking it) since I can hear some movement in the trunk or if that sound is normal even when the cable stops working. Just trying to see if there's some hope here.

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
I seem to recall instructions posted here in the past that you need to pull the release toward the drivers side and not straight foward.Also try having someone press down on the hatch right above the latch at the same time you are pulling the release to take pressure off the latch.

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,598 Posts
Hi everyone, I am the proud owner of a 2014 Lotus Evora for a little over 4 years already. With this whole quarantine lockdown my battery died for the first time and the trunk release hatch is not working. The closest dealer is about 600 miles away so no luck there. I was wondering if I should try pulling harder (risk breaking it) since I can hear some movement in the trunk or if that sound is normal even when the cable stops working. Just trying to see if there's some hope here.
Sorry, but without knowing that you actually have an Evora we don't tend to give information about how to open the trunk to just anyone. Take a picture of your Evora with a piece of paper containing the date and your user name on it. Thanks.

San

·
Premium Member
2,333 Posts
If the release is not working for you and the issue is a dead battery, there are other options to try. One is to get enough battery power to enable the remote's hatch release. Since it seems you already have access to the interior of the car, you could try this.

While being extremely careful, you could connect a spare 12V source (battery) to the live supply at the front passenger fuse box located in the foot well and your 12V negative to a ground point. See these threads from overseas to get more info/photos...

This would not be to try to start your car. This is only to gain enough power to use your remote fob to pop the hatch. Be careful, make sure your connections are correct and tight, and do so at your own risk.

If you get it open, remove the battery to charge it or replace (especially of its 4 years old). Jump starting our cars, if not performed correctly, can fry the ECU.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Do Evoras have cigarette or other 12 volt access in the interior? Some chargers can work though that but you may need to turn on the ignition if the power outlet is switched. You probably only need enough power to unlatch.

·
Premium Member
2,333 Posts
Yes, Evoras have ignition switched power sockets in the interior and a constant hot socket in the hatch (not sure about 400s and GTs). Although trying a cigarette style charger with the key turned on may or may not work, it will probably cause another minor but annoying issue: airbag light (due to battery low voltage with ignition switched on. The SRS looks for proper voltage when the key is turned on and will pop the airbag light if battery is below the specified voltage.)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts