The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time posting and long, long time lurker. After reading and searching many of the postings here I feel confident enough to start looking for a used 2005 elise sometime at the end of this year. The car will be out of warranty and I don't live anywhere near a dealer. Is there a list or info on prices for the parts that normally go out or need replacement during normal use? Such as steering rack, transmission, etc...
My concerns are that I will be doing most of the work and repairs (like I've done with all my cars..) and would like an idea of how easy is to get replacement pars and their cost. You guys are a small great bunch, love the forum and the camaderie all the way around.:clap:

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Lotus Garage has pretty much all OEM parts and prices. They are considerably cheaper than my local dealer and pretty good to work with.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Do not misread that I love my Lotus more than I can type, but in my experience it has not been cheap and from what I can tell that is true for most.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the replies and honest answers.
ChicagoMikeW, is all good. What does your major maintenance expenses had been since owning the car???:panic:

·
Registered
423 Posts
If you're on a budget, I'd recommend doing what I do. Set up a second savings account in which some money from each paycheck goes in to. Do not use it for anything else other than maintenance, that way when something expensive needs to be done, it's not a major hit on the wallet. It's worked for me quite well.

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
I budget for my car expenses and everything else. Just being on a budget isn't a bad thing. Granted I have a large car budget. Going over that budget is a problem...

Like CosmosMpower says, check Lotus Garage. Sometimes parts are difficult to come by as Lotus doesn't have them in stock, etc.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Very good ideas. Somewhat of an emergency fund for future breakdowns...:up:
If there was a list of the top 10 failures on a lotus elise, what will it look like?

Feel free to add:
1. A/C system
2. ...

Please don't misunderstand my motives, I love the car just as much as most of you do. This is just for research and planning purposes. A lot of you, also drive Ferraris, own not just one Elise but two,etc. And there is nothing wrong with that. I'm military retired currently daily driving a 1989 240sx since brand new. I also have a kid in college...:coolnana::crazyeyes

·
Registered
84 Posts
I am still under warranty so it has cost me nothing.
I have had problems with
1. the adjustable seat did not lock and would side forward back as breaking and acceleration. (was kinda fun)
2. Wiring problem my blinkers stopped working, it was wiring issue
3. My shocks made a horrid noise every time I hit even the most minor bump, replaced.

But I have 0 complaints about my car I love LOVE LOVE it. and I have FVMC to take my car to and they are AMAZING! I can not even start to say how great they are. If they payed me to speak about how great they are it would be impossible for me to say better things about them than I already do.

and If you read about a lot of people have minor problems with the car. but I believe they all understand it is British and that is just how the Brits build them, or they sell it.

summary: if you love the car the drive the ride you should buy it, but your should know it will not be cheap.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
looking through the "post your mileage and major issues" might give more thought to that one ^

edit: oops i meant to point to the "top 10 failures" post

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
Very good ideas. Somewhat of an emergency fund for future breakdowns...:up:
If there was a list of the top 10 failures on a lotus elise, what will it look like?

Feel free to add:
1. A/C system
2. ...

Please don't misunderstand my motives, I love the car just as much as most of you do. This is just for research and planning purposes. A lot of you, also drive Ferraris, own not just one Elise but two,etc. And there is nothing wrong with that. I'm military retired currently daily driving a 1989 240sx since brand new. I also have a kid in college...:coolnana::crazyeyes
I don't think that the A/C really fits into a "breakdown/failure list". It should have to work properly first, then if it fails add it to the list :rolleyes:. Problem with the A/C in my car seems to be uncorrectable by the Lotus techs.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Do not misread that I love my Lotus more than I can type, but in my experience it has not been cheap and from what I can tell that is true for most.
Completely agree.

This is not a Honda or Toyota even if it has a Toyota motor. It has its quirks and sometimes those quirks cost money.

Do you have another car to drive? If you plan on driving the Lotus every day, it will definitely cost money.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Do you have another car to drive? If you plan on driving the Lotus every day, it will definitely cost money.

Ha, yeah... $4.50 every 26 miles. rotfl

I joke, but I totally agree. It is not like Ferrari cost, it is not like the $30+K you are spending is just the membership fee, but nothing is cheap. If you go to Lotus for an oil change you can expect between $150-$300. The filter alone is $26 from the dealer. You can take parts shortcuts and get the matching Toyota part. There are barely any aftermarket parts that are under $300 for the Lotus. Tires will cost you big bucks.

But it is so much fun to drive...

Dave

·
Registered
84 Posts
120ish for an basic oil change. 1000ish for a set of tires and more because you should have a 2nd set a track and a road set IMO.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I am still under warranty so it has cost me nothing.
I have had problems with
1. the adjustable seat did not lock and would side forward back as breaking and acceleration. (was kinda fun)
2. Wiring problem my blinkers stopped working, it was wiring issue
3. My shocks made a horrid noise every time I hit even the most minor bump, replaced.

But I have 0 complaints about my car I love LOVE LOVE it. and I have FVMC to take my car to and they are AMAZING! I can not even start to say how great they are. If they payed me to speak about how great they are it would be impossible for me to say better things about them than I already do.

and If you read about a lot of people have minor problems with the car. but I believe they all understand it is British and that is just how the Brits build them, or they sell it.

summary: if you love the car the drive the ride you should buy it, but your should know it will not be cheap.

Mike makes a good point in this post that weighed heavily in my recent purchase (from FVMC). I got a car with just under a year of warranty. It took some searching, but I got exactly the car I wanted and still got the comfort of having some protection with a used Lotus for the next year or so. It was a major sticking point for me and the increased cost of a 2006 versus most of the 2005s is less than cost of a few out of warranty repairs. I plan to do most of the intermediate maintenance and supplement with the great service at FVMC.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
The biggest concern no one has mentioned - be wary of the first time you bump something or someone backs into you. I know insurance covers it, but it will not be cheap.

·
Banned
874 Posts
First time posting and long, long time lurker.
Long Long lurker? the most you could have lurked for is 6 days according to ur acc.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
:sheep: Lurking as in visiting the forum without an alias.
I go to a lot of car shows in the past and that's were I discovered the beauty and uniqueness of the elise. It was love at first sight.....:wave:

The car will be parked most of the time, definetely no track time for it or any of my cars. I will drive the car a couple of days a weeks for my short ride (20 mins.) to work and pleasure drives during the weekend. I have 3 more cars to get around. I can do most of the work and maintenance myself, even if I had warranty my closest dealer is 4 hours away....:(

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
well I did some research and decided to take the same risk you are pondering. I am a middle income young proffesional (engineer). I bought a very nice 05 a week ago and am loving it. I plan to do most all of the maintenance myself. I told myself before buying the car that the whole point of the deal was to have a good time, so I will have a sence of humor about the car. If it starts to require tons of money or becomes more work than fun, I will sell or park it and consider it a lesson learned. I am optimistic this wont be the case however.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts