The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.

I am a new member based in Chattanooga Tn. I came here looking to find a pure sports car that I can enjoy on the mountain roads of the southeast and perhaps beyond.

I was looking into 911s and cayman s cars but the more I looked the more concerned I became about the reliability issues. So I’ve come to the conclusion that a sports car with a Toyota motor is the way to go!

·
Registered
2006 Lotus Exige
57 Posts
Welcome to the fun. I don't think you would regret getting a Lotus. I am new here too. I have had my Exige about 2 and 1/2 months. Not to scare you off but I had to install a new intake cam due to it being wiped. A know problem on the Toyota 2zz motor. I think its avoidable if you let the car warm up before having fun.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Like @06LE said, there are some known issues, but, thankfully, there are also plenty of known solutions. Stuff like cam wiping, the oil line recall, loose toe link bolts, leaky stock radiators, and blown blower motor resistors can all be checked with a PPI. Peruse through here and you'll find plenty of discussion on the various pitfalls and how to avoid them. While it may be daunting, the car is 15yo so it is just well-understood at this point.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you all for welcoming me.
I have a question Assuming you don’t have any exotic car dealers around, where would you go for services such as Oil change, spark plug change, new brakes..?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm up the road in Lenoir City. I've had my Elise for a month now and have put 2k miles on the back roads around here. My daily for the past 2 years has been an '03 911 six speed. The 911 is on solid GT3 arms running a little lower than GT3 heights. It's has a 255/295 combo on hollow Turbo Twists. The 911 just feels heavy now. The extra torque is noticeable and it is more comfortable but the Elise will leave it in the corners. The Elise also has zero bump steer. I intentionally run it over dips in the road to watch it not react at all. The 911 is very cost prohibitive to modify and repair. Take out motors are $8k. I'm sure 997.2 and 991 motors are significantly more. I bought an $1800 set of rods for my spare M96. Most of my 16 cars are Chevy or Chevy powered. $1800 goes a long way on Chevy parts or toward a sleeved 2zz short block. I can run the Dragon in the Elise at 6-8k and not be heartbroken if it slings a rod out. So in summary you should buy both and abuse the Porsche less.

Kevin

·
Registered
07 Exige S
1,557 Posts
You should do it man.

Not all mods are cheap on a Lotus though...

Brakes are basic, oil change almost as basic, They are not difficult to work on for common maintenance. I am in Knoxville, there are a few places you could take it, but then your paying a premium for Toyota matters.

I try not to talk about the roads around here too much, but they are why I went the way I did with Lotus... Getting a decent crew around East TN /West NC. I should look into joining the closest Association. Was really nice out there in California with the lunches and drives etc... A real community. I miss that!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts