The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm John and I live in Bath in the west of England. I have owned Lotuses for the last 43 years. My love of the marque was stimulated at university in the late 60s. I went to University College London and my Thermodynamics Professor had taught Colin Chapman there in the late 40s and recounted many tales, and the first Lotuses were made just up the road from there. My current car is a 1973 Lotus Elan +2S 130/5 which I have owned since 1977. I started rebuilding it many years ago but life seemed to get in the way a lot of the time, but now I'm retired I'm restarting with relish. Unfortunately a lot of the early notes I made on taking the car apart are scant to say the least so I'll be asking a few questions especially of those who have a Elan +2 in one piece! I'm starting with a question about the battery which I'll post separately.
Best regards to all other Lotus enthusiasts

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Hi I'm John and I live in Bath in the west of England. I have owned Lotuses for the last 43 years. My love of the marque was stimulated at university in the late 60s. I went to University College London and my Thermodynamics Professor had taught Colin Chapman there in the late 40s and recounted many tales, and the first Lotuses were made just up the road from there. My current car is a 1973 Lotus Elan +2S 130/5 which I have owned since 1977. I started rebuilding it many years ago but life seemed to get in the way a lot of the time, but now I'm retired I'm restarting with relish. Unfortunately a lot of the early notes I made on taking the car apart are scant to say the least so I'll be asking a few questions especially of those who have a Elan +2 in one piece! I'm starting with a question about the battery which I'll post separately.
Best regards to all other Lotus enthusiasts
Welcome John,
I too am from the UK (Hackney/Ilford), now living in Florida. I also have owned Lotus cars on and off for 43 years.
Michael

·
Registered
623 Posts
Hello John,

I'm from the UK too - living in California now. Originally I'm from Cheshunt where Lotuses were built from '59-'66. That was a little before I was born, but my parents used to talk about how they'd see the cars being tested up and down the A10.

Also, my father once borrow a tool from the factory when he was building his special (not sure what the tool was).

I only bought my first Lotus (an '07 Elise) about 18 months ago though.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Welcome John,
I too am from the UK (Hackney/Ilford), now living in Florida.
Michael
Small world. I lived in Romford/Hornchurch for many years before moving to California.

And I would agree with the other comments, Bath is a wonderful city with a rich history.

Welcome John. :UK:

Cheers.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Hi John,

I took a lovely trip to Bath back in '97 while I was spending the summer in London. :UK:
Beautiful town. Getting there was quite an adventure...
Good luck getting the Elan back together.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Welcome John. Very nice car! Do post some pictures. Best of luck with the recommissioning.

I have a '69 Plus 2. We didn't really get the 130/5 in North America; I changed to a Ford five speed and it really transforms the car.

Will put a few suggestions for you on your battery thread.

Stu

1 - 9 of 9 Posts