The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a red 1990 Lotus Esprit from my father. He passed away about a year ago and he left me this car. I hope I can learn a lot from this group even though my car is almost 30 years old.

Have a great day!

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Welcome to Lotus Talk. This is a great community. We all try to be helpful and share our knowledge and experience. We hope you enjoy your car and make many happy memories.

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
I have a red 1990 Lotus Esprit from my father. He passed away about a year ago and he left me this car. I hope I can learn a lot from this group even though my car is almost 30 years old.

Have a great day!
Welcome. What are your plans with the car? Keeping it?

These cars benefit from staying ahead of the maintenance curve, doing all the scheduled maintenance on time, with no short cuts.

If your dad kept good service records, look them over. When taking on a new Esprit, among a host of things to go over, making sure the timing belt is not too old/over used is critical. A timing belt failure basically destroys the engine.

See if you can find a shop/mechanic reasonably close who knows these cars. Make friends with him, and unless YOU can wrench, get to know his kids too. You may be putting them through college. -eek-

Just kidding, the famous fragility of Lotus is overstated. Your car can be robust and reliable as long as it's well cared for.

Here are some other resources for Esprit owners.

https://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/forum/222-esprit/

Esprit Forums

Reactions: SelinaS19

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,861 Posts
WELCOME! Make sure that timing belt is replaced if over three years old (if it is black).

How long has it been since the car was used regularly?

Reactions: SelinaS19

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to Lotus Talk. This is a great community. We all try to be helpful and share our knowledge and experience. We hope you enjoy your car and make many happy memories.
Thank you. You're making me cry a bit. I just remember seeing my dad in the garage checking out the car.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi 4380r,

I'm not really sure what to do with it. The car was my dad's other daughter. He just loves the car so much. My uncle has been checking on it in our garage since. I'll probably look into its service records or maybe ask my uncle.

Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
WELCOME! Make sure that timing belt is replaced if over three years old (if it is black).

How long has it been since the car was used regularly?
I tried to drive it every weekend but I've been busy lately and now my uncle's the one who uses it on the weekends. I'll ask him about the timing belt this coming weekend.

Thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts