The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi LT Members,

I am a long time lurker, first time poster here on LT. I am currently looking for a weekend toy, and the Elise is at the top of my desired list.

I still need to narrow down the must-have list for the car in terms of options and have been obsessively checking the classifieds here. If anyone has advice on how important the touring package is in terms of comfort, or how abusive the sports suspension it would be great to hear your thoughts.

Additionally, if anyone from the Chicago or Detroit areas is reading this, I will happily buy lunch or dinner for a ride-along at your convenience!

Happy motoring,

Josh

·
Registered
6,487 Posts
I've owned both Touring and Non Touring equipped Elise/Exige, standard suspension/sport suspension Elise/Exige.

If you absolutely HAVE to have what little leather there is in a touring car, then you have no option. There is no leather in the standard interior.

The extra sound insulation, while there, is nominally noticed IMHO. What little bit of extra carpet there is you can source elsewhere if you really need it.

My philosophy on the suspension is that the Elise/Exige's primary distinguishing characteristic in the marketplace IS its handling, so why not get the best version of that? That said, MOST of the handling advantages of the sport suspension car actually comes from the lighter wheels and wider/stickier standard tires. Driving around town I really didn't notice a diff between standard suspension and sport.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Best option is to find someone local and go for a ride-along.

The touring pack isn't a huge deal as lotusforsale said. I think the only options you're going to care about are: suspension, harness bar, LSD, electric windows, wheels, black pack, star shield, and traction control.

Did I miss one? I think those are most of the major options. Decide which ones you want and which packages they come with.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick responses! I was on my way to a test drive today when I got a call that the car just sold, so looking to do a ride along now. I posted in the Midwest forums to hopefully trade a free meal for some adrenaline.

As for the options, I am not so attached to leather, power windows are high on the want list. My question about the sports suspension is if it is still street comfortable or track only. I have a pretty high tollerance for tight setups but have not had a chance to ride in a sport package Elise yet and am wondering just how tight it is.

Thanks again!

Josh

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
J Mills,
Fly out to Arizona, we will take a spin in my car, it has touring pack and sport pack. You will see the touring interior and feel the sport suspension.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
addertooth,

From the description in your sig it wounds like it would be one fast ride! If work ever brings me out to your area I will PM you.

Last night on my drive home I saw a red Elise parked on the curb. As I stopped to get out and look at the pristine example I couldn't help but take the sighting as a sign I need to pursue this passion :)

Cheers,

Josh

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
J Mills,
The invitation is an open one. Feel free to PM me should you be in Arizona.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I like my touring package for the power windows. If I was tracking, i would go with the sport suspension. But the suspension would not make or break a deal. If it was a dedicated track car, no touring pkg needed

1 - 8 of 8 Posts