The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Elise SC
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Looking forward to chatting and meeting everyone!

The Elise has been my dream car since it came out. I’ve owned a 2005 Honda S2000 for the last ~14 years and always said “I’ll never sell this car...unless its for an Elise”. It still puts a smile on my face every day I drive it.

Over the summer I bought an old van in great condition (same model as the A-Team van) and recently snagged a garage spot in the building where I live so the time has finally come where both being able to afford and having it practical to own and Elise are aligned!

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Hi, welcome. Also from the Boston area. The s2000 is a great car too

·
Premium Member
2,969 Posts
Welcome to LT. Just north of Boston.
Plenty of great information here to keep you busy.
were you planning on tracking the Elise?

·
Premium Member
2007 Elise
155 Posts
What kind of Elise are you hoping for? I know several people who made the S2k Elise jump. The shifter will be significantly worse, but all around awesome other than that.
yep, made the same jump from S2k to Elise and the shifter is the biggest thing I miss - going to try and do some re enforcements to try and take some slop out without having to go full replacement or new cables (just yet anyways).

Either way welcome Bostonwind!

·
Registered
2006 Lotus Elise
1,324 Posts
Welcome! I previously owned an '05 S2000 as well. Bought it because I wasn't in a position to buy an Elise at the time and ended up falling head over heels in love with the S2K. And to echo the other sentiments here, I do miss that car, especially the transmission (which is sublime, pure perfection) and I wish I had kept it.

I've almost bought another one a couple times, but I don't really have the space. I do love my Elise, but the S2000 is 80% of the fun with 20% of the hassle at 50% of the cost.

Again, welcome, and good luck with your search!

·
Registered
2011 Elise SC
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yep, made the same jump from S2k to Elise and the shifter is the biggest thing I miss - going to try and do some re enforcements to try and take some slop out without having to go full replacement or new cables (just yet anyways).

Either way welcome Bostonwind!
Thank you!

·
Registered
2011 Elise SC
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What kind of Elise are you hoping for? I know several people who made the S2k Elise jump. The shifter will be significantly worse, but all around awesome other than that.
Initially I was looking for a 2005-2008 S2 but with the announcement that Lotus will be stopping production, I'm thinking of increasing my budget to get something newer and/or with lower miles. Mostly looking for something stock-ish and don't have a strong preference on supercharged or not but thats mostly because I know that even the base Elise is more than my current driving can handle.

Joined here to do some additional research and get recommendations from others with more knowledge than myself!

·
Registered
2011 Elise SC
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Welcome! I previously owned an '05 S2000 as well. Bought it because I wasn't in a position to buy an Elise at the time and ended up falling head over heels in love with the S2K. And to echo the other sentiments here, I do miss that car, especially the transmission (which is sublime, pure perfection) and I wish I had kept it.

I've almost bought another one a couple times, but I don't really have the space. I do love my Elise, but the S2000 is 80% of the fun with 20% of the hassle at 50% of the cost.

Again, welcome, and good luck with your search!
The s2000 really is amazing...its the first "more than $500-$1000 car I've owned, spent almost 2 years researching and test driving before settling on the honda...with the exception of the M Z3 coupe, none of the other cars I was considering have stood the test of time.

If I drove more or had two garage spaces I'd debate keeping it but I mostly bike to work and also have a Triumph Thruxton so would rather have the s2000 go to someone who'll drive and enjoy it on the regular.

Thanks for the good wishes/luck...hoping the recent announcement from Lotus doesn't push prices up/availability down too much!

·
Registered
2011 Elise SC
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi, welcome. Also from the Boston area. The s2000 is a great car too
Thanks for the welcome and great to meet someone else from MA! I'd love to ask you a few questions about how you found yours, local resources, where you go for service, etc if you wouldn't mind!

·
Registered
2011 Elise SC
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Welcome to LT. Just north of Boston.
Plenty of great information here to keep you busy.
were you planning on tracking the Elise?
Thanks! Love the north of boston area, used to live near Salem...Route 127 is one of my favorite nearby drives.

I hope to do some light tracking, mostly driver training and track days, no time trials, etc. Main goal would be to get a better sense of the car's handling and limits (moreso, the limits of my driving) in a safe and responsible way.

I'd love to ask you a few questions about how you found yours, local resources, where you go for service, etc if you wouldn't mind!

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
481 Posts
Initially I was looking for a 2005-2008 S2 but with the announcement that Lotus will be stopping production, I'm thinking of increasing my budget to get something newer and/or with lower miles. Mostly looking for something stock-ish and don't have a strong preference on supercharged or not but thats mostly because I know that even the base Elise is more than my current driving can handle.

Joined here to do some additional research and get recommendations from others with more knowledge than myself!
Unless you go 2011 they're all basically the same car. Minor changes every year, the biggest changes were for the 06 models, beyond that it's all hardly noticeable to me. Having said that, they sold less and less every year, so the newer you go the more rare, that doesn't really seem to affect prices much though.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have both cars and had the same dilemma being an S2000 owner for 15 yrs ('03 MY) who wanted a Lotus. I ended up with an Exige S240 but decided I am keeping the "S", which has become part of the family. Not a practical result exactly, but the "S" serves as the "luxury" sports car and the Lotus is the "extreme". They are both a blast to drive and I am always ruminating on which to take each time I'm going out. I too was worried about the Lotus's shift but I've found it better than I was expecting - to the point that I don't notice it till I'm back in the Honda. Its hard to beat the Honda for value too.
Anyway, you are going to love the Lotus !

My $.02 worth
Jeff

·
Registered
340 Posts
I had a track prepped and supercharged AP1 and I echo others comments about the shifting feel. I have the shift111 package and the S2K has a vastly superior shifter. The Elise excels at steering feel and response though. I do miss my S2K, but I will reserve final judgement until the tracks open up again in the spring.

·
Registered
81 Posts
The stock Lotus shifter is a lesser experience albeit not unfixable. Would suggest getting the LETSLA shift linkage mod that shortens the overall throw of the arm and SSC shift cables.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Also a previous S2000 owner (2 AP1’s and an AP2)

No need to repeat the obvious about the shifter.

One item to note from when I was shopping - some of the Elise and Exige NA had strong cam change, and some were very poor. The one I ended up purchasing sounds very much like 3rd gear vtec yo, but the others had a very minor, if anything cam change (search cam wiping).

Main other difference of on track driving. S2000 you can find the limits rather comfortably and hang it out no issues. The Elise and Exige are quite a bit different and have a much more defined limit line.

Basically, they’re like a more hard core version of the S2000. Would I take a fully modded S2000 over the Elise or Exige like say Andrew Hakes, the Diez build or EVS? probably. Stock for stock, go with the Lotus.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts