The Lotus Cars Community banner

New Member Intro

701 Views 27 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  Go08EliseSC46
Hi to all Lotus lovers. I have been following Lotus Talk for about a year and a half, with the plan of joining one day. Today is that day. I really appreciate all the great info and candid comments - and all things Lotus! I am the very proud owner of a 2008 Lotus Elise SC, 60th Anniversary Special Edition in British Racing Green with twin Saffron Yellow stripes. Number 3 of 5 produced for the North American market. I am also the very proud owner of an awesome 1962 Lotus Super Seven. I live in British Columbia, Canada.

This is actually my second post. My first post was in reply to a post earlier today by @IDEngineer , "Looks like a Fraud", which links to a fraudulent "for sale" listing of my 2008 Lotus Elise SC. For anyone concerned with fraudulent listings, I would suggest you review his/her post. My 2008 Lotus Elise SC is NOT for sale.

On a lighter note - I very much appreciate the opportunity to be part of this great Lotus Talk community, and I know I will continue to benefit by all your Lotus wisdom, suggestions and recommendations. Hopefully I will be able to contribute something of value to others as well. Take care. Cheers.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Administrator
14,952 Posts
Welcome to LT! Congratulations on your new Elise! Post some photos when you get a chance.

· Registered
2008 Lotus Elise SC 60th Anniversary Special Edition, 1962 Lotus Super Seven, 2000 Rover Mini Cooper
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the warm welcomes. I actually purchased the 2008 Elise SC in June of 2021, from a gentleman in Michigan.

I knew prior to the purchase that Transport Canada would not let me import it into Canada until it was 15 years old (being June, 2023) but I had to buy it while I had the chance - otherwise it would likely be gone forever considering how rare it is. I had the Michigan Lotus dealer (who originally imported it in 2008) pick it up from the seller in an enclosed trailer for me, and then store it at their indoor facility.

When the Russians were on the Ukraine border and with the threat of war, I wanted to get the Elise out west so I had it transported to Washington, just south of the BC border which is just a short drive from where I live. So I have been visiting it regularly to warm up the fluids, and when there is perfect weather, I put a 3 day permit on it (for $30) and take it for a spirited drive! So far, I have had the thrill of 646 miles :)

So while time passes quickly - even though it seems to take forever, I've been counting down the months, weeks and days and now in just a little more than 4 months I will be able to import it into Canada and finally bring it home. That will be a good day! Kind of like all those who have been waiting patiently for their new Emira.

So thanks again for the warm welcomes. I look forward to being a part of this fine Lotus community. Take care. Enjoy life.

· Registered
2005 Saffron Yellow Lotus Elise; 2008 Porsche Cayman S Porsche Design Edition 1; 2011 Audi S4 Manual
494 Posts
Welcome to LT from another member located in BC (in Richmond)! Whereabouts are located?

You might want to look into joining the Lotus Car Club of BC. It's a great group of owners with a wide variety of alotus vehicles, and they put on a bunch of good events and drives. The fees are very reasonable too ($25 a year).

I look forward to seeing pictures of your car here on LT and hopefully in person at some point at well! 👍

· Registered
2008 Lotus Elise SC 60th Anniversary Special Edition, 1962 Lotus Super Seven, 2000 Rover Mini Cooper
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks @JMack77 for the kind "welcome". I did join the Lotus Car Club of BC in August, 2021, a couple months after I purchased my Elise. Did you take part in the Okanagan Staycation last September? I look forward to meeting you and your Elise one day, as well. Take care.

· Registered
2005 Saffron Yellow Lotus Elise; 2008 Porsche Cayman S Porsche Design Edition 1; 2011 Audi S4 Manual
494 Posts
Glad to hear you joined the club already! I was originally planning to join the Club for the Staycation drive when it was planned for August (to go through BC then back through Leavenworth in WA), but it was moved to September and the timing unfortunately longer worked for me.

I did do an awesome drive with my wife through WA, Osoyoos and then back to Richmond for a few days in August instead in my Cayman (sadly this car is now sold, as she refused to go on such a long drive in the Elise).

Car Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle Tire

· Registered
3,590 Posts
Your US car should only have a couple of minor differences from a Canadian model. Probably you know that but here goes anyways.

The speedometer is in miles not km
Canadian cars have day time running lights on all the time
Canadian cars have a clutch interlock that won't left you start the car in first gear unless the clutch pedal is fully pressed.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@JMack77. Did you take Hwy. 20 and go through Winthrop, WA? Winthrop is an old western town that still looks like its straight out of the 1800's but even better is the Lotus loving twisty awesome 40 miles from Okanogan, WA to Winthrop, and back again! I haven't (yet) driven further west on Hwy. 20 than Winthrop, so that part of Hwy. 20 may be just as twisty.

Here is a photo of my Elise SC in Winthrop, WA. (Sorry to all the bugs I hit).
Car Vehicle Wheel Tire Hood

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Your US car should only have a couple of minor differences from a Canadian model. Probably you know that but here goes anyways.

The speedometer is in miles not km
Canadian cars have day time running lights on all the time
Canadian cars have a clutch interlock that won't left you start the car in first gear unless the clutch pedal is fully pressed.
@David Craig. Thanks for your thoughts.

Come June, 2023 my Elise SC will be 15 years old and then the Transport Canada RIV rules no longer apply, so the speedometer being in miles will be a non issue.

My 2008 Elise SC (US car) also has day time running lights on all the time, so that will not be a concern when I import it into Canada.

I don't know if it has a clutch interlock. Every time I've started it so far, I either shift it into neutral and start it with the clutch out, or start it with the clutch in and then slowly let off the clutch making sure it is in neutral, then warm it up. Next time I will check if it has a clutch interlock - or not. I don't think Transport Canada requires it to have a clutch interlock to pass the inspection criteria needed to register it in Canada. I've imported 2 other US cars into Canada and the "clutch Interlock" question did not come up, but they are older (1962 Lotus Super Seven and 1965 VW Beetle).

I appreciate you sharing your thoughts. Are you bringing your Elise out to BC next fall?

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My 2008 Lotus Elise SC, 60th Anniversary Special Edition is the 3rd of 5 made for the North American market in British Racing Green with twin Saffron Yellow stripes.

I would love to make contact with the owners of the other 4. Does anyone know where the other 4 (of 5) might be? Thanks in advance.

· Registered
494 Posts
@JMack77. Did you take Hwy. 20 and go through Winthrop, WA? Winthrop is an old western town that still looks like its straight out of the 1800's but even better is the Lotus loving twisty awesome 40 miles from Okanogan, WA to Winthrop, and back again! I haven't (yet) driven further west on Hwy. 20 than Winthrop, so that part of Hwy. 20 may be just as twisty.

Here is a photo of my Elise SC in Winthrop, WA. (Sorry to all the bugs I hit).

Yes, I did go through Winthrop! The road to get there (and continuing beyond) was fantastic. 👍🏻

That was a very cool little town that I didn't even know existed (other than seeing it on Google Maps when planning my route). It was smoking hot when we passed through (about 37 degrees C) and we got some great much needed ice cream for whole we were walking around.🍦

As for the point above about the clutch interlock, that is definitely something you don't have to worry about for Candian rules. My 2005 Elise was imported from NY and it didn't need to be addressed.

· Registered
2020 Evora GT in Formula Red, coordinated black+red interior, windowed engine hatch
1,238 Posts
Hwy 20 was fun in our Evora GT last summer. There are also some entertaining sections on Hwy 2, which ends up taking you through Leavenworth, a cute Bavarian themed town on the east slopes of the Cascades.

Glad we connected and that you joined us here! Only sorry that your Elise isn't actually for sale so I could buy it. {grin}

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hwy 20 was fun in our Evora GT last summer. There are also some entertaining sections on Hwy 2, which ends up taking you through Leavenworth, a cute Bavarian themed town on the east slopes of the Cascades.

Glad we connected and that you joined us here! Only sorry that your Elise isn't actually for sale so I could buy it. {grin}
@IDEngineer, One day my Elise SC will be for sale. We all are only temporary custodians of these fine examples of (self propelled) rolling pieces of sculptured art - IMO. I'll be taking good care of it in the meantime.

Considering your earlier stated interest in my Elise and your effort to reach out to me (which I appreciate), I have started a list of potentially interested future "Custodians" (ahhh .... owners) and you are now on the top of that list. :)

Anyone else interested in being added to my 2008 Lotus Elise SC, 60th Anniversary Special Edition - potentially interested future "Custodian" list? :rolleyes: Let me know! Thanks. Take care. Enjoy life,

· Registered
2020 Evora GT in Formula Red, coordinated black+red interior, windowed engine hatch
1,238 Posts
Definitely appreciate that! I might age out by that time, but my 21YO son could be a prime candidate!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts