The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Evora Enthusiasts,
'Always admired Lotuses, and the new-ish Evora's style/performance has pushed me over the edge. Looking to get a 2010 or 2011. Couple questions for the forum:
1. Opinions on any major upgrades in 2011 that would justify the additional expense?
2. Heard there were some issues with 2010 that required warranty work - advice before I buy?
3. With the various packages available, any reccos? Is the short-throw shifter a nice option?
Thanks!
John

·
Asst. Helmet Tester
1,229 Posts
John,
Poke around in the other threads and you'll find a thousand threads with a thousand responses to similar questions. It'll take days to get through it all!

My summary of it all:

No major difference between the 2010 and 2011 that would justify buying one over the other for anything other than price or mileage.

The issues with the 2010s have most likely been worked out under warranty. If you find a car you like, and it has records of regular interaction with the dealer, don't worry about the 2010 issues.

Depending on what you're driving now, the longer throw on the shifter may take a little getting used to, but I actually prefer it now. The .002 seconds that can be saved with a short throw shifter are blown 10 fold with one bad shift. 99% of the important pieces when it comes to the shifter are attached to the driver. Don't spend too much energy worrying about the last 1%.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
+1--AFAIK there is no "short throw shifter" available for early Evoras. The manual versions of 2012s and later have a noticeably shorter throw, but that is due to both a cable and shifter linkage change, which can be retrofitted to earlier models, but not without some effort and cost.
I find the shifting action on my 2010 very smooth and reasonably precise if you don't try to to rush a shift.

·
Registered
2008 Exige S240
3,072 Posts
This applies to all cars through their model runs:
My experience is it better to buy a later model car because the earlier
models always have warranty issues and kinks are worked out vby the time
the next model year rolls around.

-I bought a 2006 Elise new. The later models had better options, more refined in certain aspects (revised headlight for example), etc. In hindsight I should have waited and purchased a 2007+ Elise.

-Check into the minor refinements and fixes that Lotus did after the first couple years of the Evora's production run.

-

·
Premium Member
6,988 Posts
Its all about the price. The driving experience is just as good in a 2010-11 v a newer one. My 2011 shifter is pretty damn good and I use it for all its worth. Join the clan, its addicting. Once you experience what a true precise sports car feels like........fill in the blank.

·
Registered
171 Posts
My 2011 has been retrofitted with some bits from the 2013. Steering wheel, door pulls, stereo, etc. And, as luck would have it, it's for sale!!!

·
Registered
632 Posts
FWIW, swapping out the OEM leather knob for the metal ball Elige knob makes the shifter sit noticeably shorter (if you screw it downwards), and makes the throws seem shorter as well. I always felt the original knob sat awkwardly high. The lower Elige knob feels much more comfortable to me. Highly recommended swap.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I'm such a lucky bastard. I made a quick, gut decision on my 2012 not knowing the degree to which it had been upgraded over the previous years.

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
I can vouch for Rhoyle :) Nice car.

Other than that - what most people said. The issues with the 2010's have been figured out and dealers should have taken care of them. 2011 was much better on little things. 2012 was the biggest jump in quality and 13/14 are like 10-11 - nicer but nothing "major".

·
Registered
21 Posts
I bought a used 2011 last June. There was a 2010 which was much less, but with twice the mileage and only 3 months left on the warranty. I definitely recommend, if you can, finding one still under warranty. I waited and hunted one down near me that was a 2011, sold in 2012, so the warranty for it goes until 2015. It's been in and out several times just to get fit and finish issues resolved, and a replacement of the clutch master cylinder which was a pretty common failure point on some of the earlier cars.

2010 v 2011 not much difference, but look closely at the build date. Evoras built before October 2010 had some problems. If the MY 11/10 you are looking at was built before then, check the TSBs and make sure some of that work was done. IMO it's also preerable if it has been in and has a decent number of miles on it. You want something that's been driven reasonably and for some time since it's likely to have been in and had the warranty work carried out. If you're buying from a reputable dealer, they should be able to tell you what has been done on it and can tell if it's been driven excessively hard.

Best of luck!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts