1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1972 Lotus Elan Sprint
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy Lotustalkers,

Happy Easter!

I've also been a Lurker for a while, but am now becoming Official. First some background. Some decades ago I had a Lotus Cortina, which was a fun daily driver. Even back then no one knew what it was. At work I would park on a hill for easy pop starting; at home I would push it out of the garage (had an embarrassing situation one time ;-), get it up to walking speed in the alley, and va-Room. This of course due to the generator. Got into Webers - put three on my 240Z - thankfully, jets etc. were pretty cheap then. Bought it from my friend Wayne and eventually sold it back to him.

Subsequently had a Lotus 47 for a couple years (race version of a Europa from the earlier Renault days). It had a tall block Twin Cam, a Hewland Mark transaxle (straight cut gears and dog rings, in an upside-down VW transporter case), formula car rear suspension, and right hand drive, which made for interesting right hand turns from stop signs, given the full-length flying buttresses. Quick and quirky.

Then a couple years ago I got a nice Elan Sprint, and have been enjoying doing a variety of upgrades on it. Next project is fitting an aluminum radiator and modern fan - the OE fan is actually a repurposed wiper motor. A very fun car.

And lately I've become very interested in getting an Exige or Elise. Thanks for the compendium of good info and opinions!

But... when to buy?? I'll need to either sell the Elan, or liquidate some investments while they're down. On the one hand, if I find one "soon" at a decent price, then if needed, I should be able to sell it "later" at a similarish decent price. But if this shutdown drags on for several months, or ends but there's a similar situation in the fall, the whole economy could be faltering for quite some time. On the other hand, waiting for some weeks or months would presumably put us in even more of a buyer's market, and we'll have a somewhat better idea what's ahead...

Thoughts?

Thanks, Steve

·
Registered
1972 Lotus Elan Sprint
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A buddy just told me that a mass market dealer he knows has sold just one car in the past month, as opposed to dozens in the normal month. Perhaps an opportunity to help a dealer and get a nice deal.

·
Registered
114 Posts
My only regret about buying my Elise is that I didn’t do it sooner.

If I had waited for the right financial moment... I’d probably still be waiting and would have missed out on many priceless experiences.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts