The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,589 Posts
Hi guys,

Just a quick post to say hi as I am new to the forum, and to ask for some advice.

My father recently passed away and left me his treasured Europa JPS, owned by him since 1978.

The car is a JPS #83, with the badge on the dash and is currently off being completely restored back to it's former glory. I can't wait for it to be finished!

Anyway, the car currently has Wolfrace Slot Mags on which I am intending to replace with the original Brand Lotus wheels - which came thrown in with the car when my dad purchased it those years ago (even have the original 40 year old rubber on!).

Obviously, they need refurbishing, but I found yesterday that one of the wheels has had the stud holes widened - presumably by the previous owner to use on another car?! What a plonker!

I was therefore wondering on all your opinions on what to do about this. I know that it is possible to fill the elongated stud holes with weld and re-drill, but I am very conscious of what the heat required to do this would do to the structural integrity of the wheel etc.

Do you guys have any ideas on what to do? Am I better off trying to buy a second hand single wheel to replace the damaged one? If so, anyone have any idea where I could look? I don't want to buy a brand new replica etc unless I have to, to avoid mismatches with the other 3 perfectly good wheels when they are refurbished.

Thanks in advance, love the forum already!!
Welcome! You are fortunate to have an actual JPS Europa (although mechanically they are no different than any Europa Special).

Banks in England sells brand new wheels. 110 GBP plus shipping.

You can take your one wheel to a good wheel shop to get a professional opinion on restoring the holes, but if you look very closely at ALL your wheels, they probably don't match all that well as it is. Webbing is often different thicknesses. I don't think the original machining was all that precise.

This IS a great forum, and there are several Europa owners on here, but it's not terribly Europa centric.

If you've not already, seek out Lotus Europa Community and join that forum. It's 99% Europa centric, 1% vintage Lotus.

Also, Lotus Europa Central has an unbelievable Knowledge Base on the Cars. Put in any topic, and chances are a very informative discussion thread will pop up.

Also on that site are all the wiring diagrams, manuals, etc. There is also a registry, if your dad hasn't already put your car there, you should.

Congratulations. You can see by my signature I am a fan of Europas. Enjoy!

·
Registered
7,589 Posts
Unless somebody else pops up claiming to own #83, yours is likely one of the orignals. You may want to check the Europa Registry on Lotus Europa Central to see if your car is listed there, or if someone else is claiming to have #83. What's your VIN? (not that that will tell you if yours is a JPS)

There are all kinds of legends and misinformation about the JPS cars. It's been said that the badges were not even mounted at the factory, but by dealers in the U.S. THAT legend has given rise to the rumor (to my knowledge never verified) that some JPS cars were not black.

That would be kind of a silly contention, as JPS was a sponsor of the F1 team, and its colors were black and gold.

There is legend that in addition to the 200 with badges, the factory sent a supply of additional unnumbered JPS badges, ostensibly to help dealers move the cars off the lot as being a special addition car. Some (most?) of THOSE cars, if indeed those badges ever existed, wouldn't be black.

I've seen a lot of Europas, I've never seen one of those badges. But that doesn't mean they didn't exist, I've just never run across one.

There is a guy on ebay from Canada selling what he claims is an authentic JPS, it's the right livery, but it has no badges. I asked him about authentication, and he said only the U.S. market got the badges.

BTW...anyone looking for an Europa right now, there is an abudance on ebay, including two nice ones (one of which is VERY nice) in Maryland. The one in Chevy Chase is advertised as being in JPS colors but does not claim to be an actual JPS car.

At the end of the day, all the Europa Specials were identical mechanically, the JPS was merely a cosmetic special. BUT a genuine, restored one with its original badge can bring a bit of a premium.

I recently had the wheels on my Special refinished, and as BDA said finding decent 13" tires is getting more difficult. I found NO true performance tires in the original sizes. I wound up with Kumho Solus, not bad, but street tires. Wouldn't do too much really aggressive driving with them.

Oh...don't suppose the car had overheating problems when your dad drove it? It looks like he completely blocked out the front grill intake with the European tag...

·
Registered
7,589 Posts
I don't really see us as owning these cars. We are their custodians. That in mind, i'm very slow to modify anything if we have "survivor" examples.
That is exactly how I look at it, and the gentleman who recently bought my last Europa was of the same opinion, so I felt good about him getting the car.

·
Registered
7,589 Posts
Do any of you europa owners have any experience of the toyo r888 tyres? They seem to be quite easy to get around my neck of the woods...
I was considering them for my car, as they can be had in the proper sizes.

I was warned off of them for street use as their grip comes on when heated up, and for street use they really don't get to temp. Don't know if they person knew what he was talking about, but I wound up getting something else.

BUT...there is another guy on here who has them on his Europa and he's quite happy with them.

·
Registered
7,589 Posts
Hi 4380r, what did you end up going for? Are you happy with them?

I have heard conflicting reviews of the r888 - some say they are great for grip on the street, others say they aren't so good until they get warm.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I wound up with Kumho Solus. I wouldn't autocross with them. But they are proper size (although I went with 185's all the way around instead of 175 up front/185 rear). Very good touring tire, not bad looking. Decent grip on back road runs.

·
Registered
7,589 Posts
The car is being restored by Richard Winter at Banks Europa - plus I have lots of photos of it as proof!
You could not have your Europa in better hands than Banks. It should be something when they are done.

Are you going to do ANY upgrades that improve performance or reliabilty?

Example, the electronic ignitions (Pertronix are popular in the U.S.) is a very good upgrade. I had the Ignitor INSIDE my distributor...visually it looked OEM.

Also, assuming your car is a 5 speed, sooner or later you may have to face that the speedometer gear IN the transmission fails. Not made anymore, they are next to impossible to source (although if anyone can find one, Banks would be the guys) and if you do find one they are priced like unobtainium.

Happened to mine and I had to go away from OEM, so I had Speedhut put together a GPS speedometer which was virtually identical to the OEM. Worked great, except for in tunnels or anywhere else you drop GPS.

·
Registered
7,589 Posts
If anyone would be interested in pics of the finished product I can upload some to the thread.

All the best!
Congrats...and a question isn't really a question if you already know the answer...POST PICS!!!

·
Registered
7,589 Posts
That really is a beautiful car!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts