The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New member here, just joined up to ask a question really.

I really want a Lotus, particularly the Exige or Evora. I'm torn between the two. I love the exterior looks of the Exige, but not so much the bareness of the interior. I think the size and interior quality and style of the Evora suits me better, but I don't think the exterior does it for me. Take the interior of the Evora and put it in the Exige, and it would be the perfect car IMHO.

All that aside, when (and if) I get a Lotus, it will be a garage queen, weekend cruiser, project car, whatever you want to call it. I would never even try and DD one at this stage in my life. Thats what the Mercedes C Class is for. Given that information, I decided a high quality interior isn't something I need, and I am really leaning toward the Exige.

Reasons I want a Lotus: Well, simple (and I may be totally off on this), but it's always been my dream to own an exotic (Lamborghini, Ferrari, etc). Something that is paid off, can sit in my garage to keep the miles low, and will stay the same (or appreciate) in value over the years that I can own for 15-20 years and enjoy a few times a month. I haven't won the lottery yet, and I don't exactly have a Lamborghini type job. So, I started looking at Lotus, and thought it might be a good affordable alternative to my dream car.

When I started looking at them, I couldn't believe how much they go for. You can get a 2006-2010 Exige S w/ less than 15k miles for under $50,000. They look (at least to me) like a car that should cost $150k-$200k+. It's a car that will turn heads anywhere you go, and leave kids riding in the back of their parents car drooling at it wondering what it is as you pass them on the interstate, and that's what I want. Sure, they don't make tons of power, but they are still extremely quick due to the insane power:weight ratio. I've never driven one or rode in one (but I sat in an Elise before) and I loved the feel of wearing the car like I glove, and I've heard the handling on them is insane. I think, for under $50k, it's a hell of a good trade off for an exotic which Ill never own in my current position.

I'm dying to go buy one now, but I'm just not there yet. Could I finance one as my daily driver? Absolutely. But I'm expecting my first child in a month, and my wife would kill me :) Besides that, I want it as an occasional weekend cruiser, not a daily driver, so I'm a long ways away to be able to buy one outright on the side and still have two other cars as DD's. I'm going to Germany for three years in June, and as soon as I get back, I'm seriously looking into buying one.

Which leads me to my question (in bold, in case you didn't want to read all of the above): Where do you see the prices in 3 years time, on a low mileage (below 15,000) Exige S? Doesn't have to be any particular year, as long as it was well maintained and is in perfect shape, it could be 10 years old for all I care. $50k is out of my league for a DD, let alone a toy. I just don't want to have that kind of car payment. Maybe in 3 years things will be different, but take say, a 2011 Exige S with 5,000 miles on the clock that goes for $55k right now. In three years, given it still has less than 15,000 miles, do you see that same car being valued and listed around say, $30k-$35k? $40k-$50K? Or could they potentially go up in value, as rare cars tend to do when they stop making them? Just trying to get an idea on what the value of these cars is going to do. I can see myself paying $30k-$35k for one in a few years, but if they are still in the range of $55k+, I think I will have some more saving to do.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just realized I posted this in the Exige section. I could have sworn I posted this in the new members section. My apologies

·
He's on fire!
3,431 Posts
no one knows what the prices will be like in 3 years. you might as well ask for this weeks lotto numbers. Although I'm sure plenty of people may chime in with their opinion. Don't you think asking a bunch of people who dropped a lot of money on this car are going to have a slightly biased opinion on what the car will be worth 3 years from now?????

I'm not trying to be jerk, just trying to set realistic expectations here. Do your research and see if this car is going to work for you! (and don't ever buy a car as an investment)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no one knows what the prices will be like in 3 years. you might as well ask for this weeks lotto numbers. Although I'm sure plenty of people may chime in with their opinion. Don't you think asking a bunch of people who dropped a lot of money on this car are going to have a slightly biased opinion on what the car will be worth 3 years from now?????

I'm not trying to be jerk, just trying to set realistic expectations here. Do your research and see if this car is going to work for you! (and don't ever buy a car as an investment)
Buying the car as an investment is the last goal on my list. All I meant by that was I don't want to drop $40 grand on one and have it be worth $15 grand in 4 years. Ideally, I would like it to appreciate like higher end exotics do, but I'm realistic, and just like my M3, I'm sure it will be worth a lot less when and if I sell it.

Not looking for a prediction of the future. Just looking for some insight from owners who know these cars well what they predict future prices will look like. Price is all about supply and demand. I know the demand is there, but what about supply? Are these cars mass produced, or are they made in fairly limited numbers? Surely there has to be some type of trend in what these cars will do. What have 2006 Exiges done in price between 2006 and now? Take a 2010 and wait 3 years, and I would assume the trend should be the same. :shrug:

·
He's on fire!
3,431 Posts
But there is no insight, only biased opinions depending on which side of the coin you fall on. Some people think the car is rare and will only become more rare and value will go through the roof. Some people think lotus is going to go under and the values will really change (positive or negative depending on your attitude). Some people look at what else you can get for lotus money and have an opinion based off that. No one knows if lotus will eventually bring in a v6 exige, which would certainly have an effect on values. Ask people for values this summer and you might get some good guesses. Ask people for values 4 years out and all you have is speculation.

This isn't a high end exotic, so why should it 'appreciate like high end exotics do'? I'd also say that high end exotics do NOT in fact appreciate. You can buy bentley's and ferraris of yesteryear for pennies on the dollar. They are not appreciating....

·
Addict
2007 Lotus Exige S
1,563 Posts
Congrats on being a dad soon.

This car is fun to drive if you enjoy driving, I'm not sure that is why you want one though. You could always drive a cheep car daily with no payments and buy the Lotus.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Congrats on being a dad soon.

This car is fun to drive if you enjoy driving, I'm not sure that is why you want one though. You could always drive a cheep car daily with no payments and buy the Lotus.
Thank you.

To be honest, not really sure why I want one. Never driven one, so I cant say it's because I like the way they drive, though I'm told they handle like they are on rails and it's like driving a street legal go kart. I guess I want one because I'm a car guy, and the Mercedes C Class isn't doing it for me. It's great as a DD, which is why I sold the M3 and bought one, but I want a dedicated weekend toy, and the Exige looks like it will do everything I need it to for a very reasonable price, and will continue doing everything I need it to for many years. I've jumped from car to car the last 12 years trying to find one that keeps me grinning from ear to ear, and I always get bored with them. The Exige might be the same way, but Ill never know until I pull the trigger on one and find out. Who knows, it might be just what I've been searching for all along. It's just a question of getting to a point financially where I can, and feel comfortable affording one and finding one in my price range. If I wasn't going to Germany for 3 years I'd be looking at one more seriously right now.

I can guarantee that a 2011 Exige will not go for 35k in 3 years like you asked.
Doesnt have to be a 2011. Year isn't important, as long as it's the body style I'm looking for (have they changed since 2006 at all?) Im more concerned with mileage and condition than year. It could be a 2006-2012 as long as it has low miles and was maintained well. Ideally Id like to stay under 20k miles, but where it won't be a daily driver Im not too concerned. If it meant getting one for under $40k and not getting one for under $40k I would even consider getting one with 35K miles + as long as everything checks out and maintenance records are there.

Im not sure how this forum feels about posting links, so I wont show it here, but theres a 2008 S240 on Ebay right now for $48k with 6k miles on the clock. Is it unrealistic to presume that someone could buy this car (for example), drive it 5-8k miles a year, and in three years sell it with less than 30k miles on it for under $40k?

·
Registered
167 Posts
The fact that you don't know if these cars are mass produced and whether or not the styling has changed since 06 tells me you have done absolutely no research. Wikipedia could have probably answered those questions for you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The fact that you don't know if these cars are mass produced and whether or not the styling has changed since 06 tells me you have done absolutely no research. Wikipedia could have probably answered those questions for you.
Read Wikipedia, which is where I got most of my information. Whether or not they are mass produced (which they are, I used the "are they mass produced" question as an example of how a vehicle may or may not hold it's value) or my knowledge of this information is irrelevant. I didn't come here asking for information which can be found by a simple search. Just saying ;)

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
So basically you came here asking if the prices will go up or down. Well this comes up more often then you think on this forum. The answer is no one knows. So when the time comes that you are ready to buy, then start looking. Other than that, it's all guessing.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Yes. Go to wiki. For one, you'll see that an 06 is NA and the rest here in the US are S. Never driven an NA. Probably great but a little slow before mods. Many posts on mods but you can go from NA to 300 HP pretty easy and not too much $$. There are things you can't change on the interior, like size but many of us have done nice things to customize the interiors. Body style is basically the same. Front and wing changed in maybe 10. (See wiki).

My suggestion is decide how much you want to spend now and get it now. Prices won't drop anytime soon. No reason for that. My guess is they will stay static but who knows. Elise is less and if you don't care about the styling (some like it better, not me) it's a great way to start. Since you didn't mention modding, go for low miles. But it's all about money.

But do it now while the bug is there.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I am a Lotus Newbie, but I could not see the exige dropping more than 10k in 3-5 years.

I started looking at Lotus elise/exige prices back in 08 when I was still in college, and the rock bottom good elise prices did not drop more than 8k when I was actually able to purchase one 5 years later.

at least from my research

·
Registered
663 Posts
Well, you can never predict the economy... back in the 2009 time frame, these cars were worth FAR less and are appreciating back up to about where they should be (IMO).

At the end of the day, I realize you don't want to buy a car that is going to rob you of all your money, but you will never be able to predict what happens. Just get the car you want, for the reasons that you want, and the rest will fall in place, as long as you're patient.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts