The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

So I'm in the process of purchasing an Esprit.... if I can figure out what I want, this is where you guys come in :)

So long story short, I live the US now but as a young boy in England I remember eating like a thousand wheatabix so I could send off for a poster of the famous 007 esprit and it was on my wall for many years, joined also by a red (probably s1 or s2) esprit. So yes this car has been my dream car for the past 35 odd years and now I'm in a position to be able able to buy one and properly maintain it.

So this gets us to the present day and my dilemma. I've pretty much narrowed down my decision to go with a V8 model. Also, I really like the OZ Nova rims so that's a must also. After that it gets complicated. Buying a car like this is not only emotional but its almost like finding someone you want to spend the rest of your life with, you want to make the right choice, lol.

What I'm really struggling with is color. When I started this process I had in my mind I wanted a red Esprit, probably calypso red, and that's probably due to the fact that I saw an early model red Esprit as a boy (one of only three I've seen in real life) and it blew me away. I've now looked at thousands of pic's of different colors and I'm really not sure any more, lol. I still like red but I think the car looks great in silver, and also darker colors. I've become particularly keen on the gun metal grey color also. I'm concerned that the red is to cliche, like a sports car should be red kind of thing.

The biggest problem of all though is that I know that a car in real life can look a lot different than in pic's and I've just not seen enough Esprit's in different colors to be sure. This is where you guys come in and I just want to solicit some input. Of course one might say well its a personal choice, which of course it is, but i'd still like to hear peoples thoughts who have maybe seen more of these cars in person.

The other thing is that I do like the 2002 plus rear end with the updated lights and center exhaust but I know that earlier v8s can be made to look like that at a cost. Would like to hear people opinions on that also, is it better to just hold out for a 2002 plus or find a decent deal on a pre 2002 and update it?

Talking of which, here is a car that I had been initially looking at in red with some after market hre rims. Does anyone know this car, or would just like to get some input on what people feel about it and if those rims look OK. They are OZ Nova like but look a bit more high polish which I'm not sure of.

2001 Lotus Esprit ? Northeast Sportscar

Anyhow, I hope to be active contributor and hopefully buy an Esprit soon.

Jerry

·
Registered
519 Posts
That red car was on ebay not to long ago. I like the HRE on it they have a similar look to the Novas.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Hi Jerry,
Welcome! Obviously it is indeed a personal choice on color. Personally my 99 V8 is the dark metallic grey (B62 Titanium Metallic), but I also really love the Azure Blue. My wife helped me decide there by saying she didn't like the blue as much (too flashy for her).

Pics here: http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f164/today-day-211522/

As for the year, It sounds like you are interested in the round light/center exhaust setup, so my personal suggestion would be to have that from the get-go. No sense in getting something that's not quite what you like and then having to modify it (which may or may not come out as perfect as the factory).

Best of luck and keep us posted!

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Just curious if you are going with a V8 for performance reasons or because they are newer versus a G-series car? The Bond car you fell in love with is a G-car through and through.

If you are avoiding g-cars because you're afraid they are too old or fragile, dont think that way. Not the case at all with a GOOD one. Trust me, I know. If not, then disregard this statement and good luck finding a V8!

As for colors - its hard to find a color that doesnt look good on such an awesome looking car. I personally prefer the darker primary colors on Esprits such as red, black & blue. Im OK with silver and white too. Yellow isnt my thing but still looks good on the cars. The Azzure blue on the V8 is a great shade of blue. The chrome orange is too even though its not my thing

Nothing wrong with red... sure, my car is red and maybe thats a little cliche. But, since when did red ever go out of style for an exotic sports car? Never. Most new Ferraris are still ordered in Rossa Corsa which is good old red. ;)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thx for all the responses so far, to respond....

G8nightman: Yes I saw it on ebay when I was checking out completed listings, that's how I initially saw it, it only got bid up to $25,100. I would have thought it was worth more, based on what I've seen these sell for.

ESPREE: Very nice and I do like that color, seen a few pic's with this color and the OZ Nova's and its a nice color combo of the car color and wheels. Your's still looks great though and nice to see its back on the road :) Yeah that was certainly part of my thinking of just getting what i want as far as a 2002 plus, but lets faces it, selection is not huge with limited production so if I came across a pre 2002 that was what i was looking for in other aspects then the conversion is an option. Its hard to tell but it seems like the 2002 plus cars carry a price premium so there may be a financial benefit of buying pre and then doing the conversion. From what i've seem online it looks like you could sink around $3K into that though.

s2mikey: Well yes, initially I did seriously consider turbo SE's and S4's but I do like like the sound of the V8's. I don't have any worries about owning an older car, I've had many older cars, some from the 60's. Yeah and red is a sports car color and always popular, resale red as they say, lol.

Anyhow, keep the comments coming, nice to hear different views and might be interesting for other folks to read also.

Jerry

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Curious if anyone if familiar with this 1999 on ebay...

Lotus Esprit Turbo | eBay

Its actually in my area although the other end of town. I was going to look at it but initially wasn't sure about silver but it grown on me a bit more. Of course wrong rims but that's something that can be addressed, it does have the rear tail light conversion and also some nice interior mods. Think there price may be a tad high for that mileage and year.

Anyhow, was curious if any members know the car but may go and check it out since it only 45 minute drive from me.

Jerry

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
<SNIOP>Of course wrong rims but that's something that can be addressed, it does have the rear tail light conversion and also some nice interior mods.

Jerry
Those are, at least according to The Lotus Esprit Fact File - Parts Wheels the correct wheels. Just FYI

Rear light conversion is not Lotus sourced panel (not that it matters)...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry I meant the rims were not the correct ones as far as what I would like (OZ Nova's) yes agreed they are the correct rims for that year car. Thx for the info on the none Lotus sourced panel and I agree it probably doesn't matter that much, at least to me as long as it looks OK.

Jerry

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
IMHO that panel is the better way to go as it can be reversed and gone back to original tail lights too.. :)

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,312 Posts
Jerry, WELCOME!

You may want to PM jtrealty

He is selling a red 1999. I've driven the car, it's GREAT.

Be prepared not to buy local to you. You can always ask a nearby owner either here or on the TurboEsprit list in Yahoo Groups to look at a car, to see if a PPI (Pre Purchase Inspection) is warranted. Shipping a car will be part of the cost...

Also another friend is selling his Yellow V8, he is in Hawaii but will ship it to the west coast.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi carbuff,

Yes I'm totally expecting to have to buy remotely unless I get lucky locally. In fact i'm looking at a few cars that are remote to me. Thx for the heads up on the 99, I'd certainly like to consider it. I'm having an issue with PM's though, I think it could be cause I'm a new member and I haven't posted enough yet. I also can't post anything in wanted either. If the other member would like to contact me via email that would be fine or indeed anyone who has a V8 that they may be interested in selling.
[email protected]

Thx

·
Registered
480 Posts
I've got a slik red s4 like the one on the top logo of this site, and like the dark color with the light magnolia interior. (as in help stay BELOW the radar) And a black s1 esprit. And a white s1 esprit. Bought an oxford blue S1 new in the day....

I would almost kill for an orange V8!

Brian

·
Banned
938 Posts
Hello.
Welcome to a decent Forum.
You will be dealing with Fellas that covet their own cars. .........and a bit of yours.
Mike E.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Color is absolutely what I like about the later V8s, love the blue, orange and yellow.
I almost bought a silver V8, very sharp although not a usual exotic color.

Be aware that the OZ Novas are hard to get without buying a car and are pricey.

Last set I got for a steal at $3100 with tires, I sold a previous set naked for $5000.

If you buy a later V8 for a little more money you should be pretty safe on the depreciation side, as prices seem to be stable.

Randy

1 - 14 of 14 Posts