The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Coming Soon!
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum but a long-time forum stalker and Lotus fan. I've even got an old Coterie Press Autographed Fittipaldi signed photo of his John Player car that I still need to frame.

Anyways, trying to buy my first Lotus and I find it frustratingly difficult. There is no dealer local to me (thanks Lotus!) so I've reached-out to a couple around getting a firm price for the package I'm looking for on an Evora GT, but the responses have been flakey at best. One dealership was in contact with me via text only and wouldn't give me a price, and for the other I was contacted by two people (one email and one SMS) but neither responded back to me once I confirmed receiving their messages and wanted to look at next steps. Both had the package I wanted in stock.

For a car in the $100k range I'm a bit surprised that the salespeople are not more engaged, but, outside of telling them what car I'm interested in and my timeframe and readiness to buy (which is in the next couple weeks), what do I need to do so I can get someone to put a little energy into this sale? Are they selling so well right now that they're not interested in a buyer who'd fly-in for delivery or buy while remote? I've bought cars from as far as FL before and just had them shipped to me in Portland without issue so I'm not sure what gives.

Sorry for the rant, but any ideas or great dealers that can help me get into an Orange or Sky Blue 2021 GT MT?

·
Administrator
6,961 Posts
Welcome to LT! Maybe due to the limited supply of what's in stock or OTW since they're not being made anymore. Try Gator Motorsports one of the LT vendors here and at least you'll be able to speak to someone and get an idea of what's available. You may want to also look at Lotuscars.com and see what they're showing available. GLWS!

Reactions: RodneyAE and me73

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
New to the forum but a long-time forum stalker and Lotus fan. I've even got an old Coterie Press Autographed Fittipaldi signed photo of his John Player car that I still need to frame.

Anyways, trying to buy my first Lotus and I find it frustratingly difficult. There is no dealer local to me (thanks Lotus!) so I've reached-out to a couple around getting a firm price for the package I'm looking for on an Evora GT, but the responses have been flakey at best. One dealership was in contact with me via text only and wouldn't give me a price, and for the other I was contacted by two people (one email and one SMS) but neither responded back to me once I confirmed receiving their messages and wanted to look at next steps. Both had the package I wanted in stock.

For a car in the $100k range I'm a bit surprised that the salespeople are not more engaged, but, outside of telling them what car I'm interested in and my timeframe and readiness to buy (which is in the next couple weeks), what do I need to do so I can get someone to put a little energy into this sale? Are they selling so well right now that they're not interested in a buyer who'd fly-in for delivery or buy while remote? I've bought cars from as far as FL before and just had them shipped to me in Portland without issue so I'm not sure what gives.

Sorry for the rant, but any ideas or great dealers that can help me get into an Orange or Sky Blue 2021 GT MT?
Well, since they aren’t making them the exact new car you want may or may not be out there on a dealer’s lot.

So the responses you get may be flaky because they don’t have the car you want, can’t order it, and may not be inclined to find one on another dealer’s lot and cut a deal with him.

Not an excuse for poor communication, but a reason.

Reactions: Jackalope

·
Registered
Coming Soon!
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, since they aren’t making them the exact new car you want may or may not be out there on a dealer’s lot.

So the responses you get may be flaky because they don’t have the car you want, can’t order it, and may not be inclined to find one on another dealer’s lot and cut a deal with him.

Not an excuse for poor communication, but a reason.
You're right in that it could be that the dealership's websites are not reflecting their inventory accurately, but I'm only reaching-out and asking dealers who show one of what I'm looking for in stock.

Still surprising that I'm kind of, "Take my money" and their responses seem to be, "Meh." 😆

·
Registered
Coming Soon!
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to LT! Maybe due to the limited supply of what's in stock or OTW since they're not being made anymore. Try Gator Motorsports one of the LT vendors here and at least you'll be able to speak to someone and get an idea of what's available. You may want to also look at Lotuscars.com and see what they're showing available. GLWS!
Thanks. Any particular member to PM from Gator to make an ask?
As for Lotuscars.com, they've always seemed to have a much lower count than what I tend to see listed across dealership sites so I wasn't really trusting of their data. Maybe it's an opt-in for the listing there or something, but it seems like a lot of dealership's stock is not on there.

·
Administrator
6,961 Posts
I know Allison is handling the Emira end so probably Dan Weaver judging by their website. I would just call and ask for sales tomorrow.
I think the Lotus website is slow to update and many dealers the same but it does show who has the most stock usually. Some may show stock and it could have just sold and conversely just got some in. Some dealers have quite a few in stock because they order a lot. One thing is true the supply is limited so you might have to try many dealers just by going to each website and look at their inventory and build a list of who looks promising and call around.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Lotuscars shows some orange and blue in Florida and NY.

Galpin has a blue in so cal.

I think as a hard to find $100k car they deal with a lot of call-in tire kickers.

Sorry about the poor experience, but I'd say make a few more phone calls. Galpin and Gator are great. I bought in the SFBay, dealer took a week to get back to me, but was great after that.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Here's how I went about buying my Lotus. I found the car on-line about 300 miles away. I knew the car's measurements and my racecar's box trailer inside dimensions too. It would fit! So I hooked up my truck and trailer and drove to the Lotus. After checking the car out, with money in a bank account, the dealer and I went to a branch of that bank where they handed him a cashier's check. We went back to the car and loaded it into the trailer and I took it home. I knew there were things wrong with the car.......'cuz it was a used car......but I knew that stuff could get fixed......which saved me from looking for who knows how long for another car.
So........go to the car....is where I would recommend you start.
Why is buying a Lotus so hard you ask............because they're rare enough (so they're not everywhere)....and you're dealing with people in the process. Remembering the average IQ is only 100 you now know why some people don't call you back or lose your info or don't answer, etc.

·
Registered
The Blue Meanie - 2006 Polar Blue Elise & Bernice - 2010 Chilli Red Mini Cooper S
1,227 Posts
I know Allison is handling the Emira end so probably Dan Weaver judging by their website. I would just call and ask for sales tomorrow.
I think the Lotus website is slow to update and many dealers the same but it does show who has the most stock usually. Some may show stock and it could have just sold and conversely just got some in. Some dealers have quite a few in stock because they order a lot. One thing is true the supply is limited so you might have to try many dealers just by going to each website and look at their inventory and build a list of who looks promising and call around.
And I can attest, Allison is awesome. Love her! Reach out to her directly. You won’t be disappointed.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
If you think buying one is so hard, try getting one serviced... can't wait until they're servicing another 5000 Emira customers.

·
Registered
2005 Saffron Yellow Lotus Elise; 2008 Porsche Cayman S Porsche Design Edition 1: 2011 Audi S4 Manual
273 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
283 Posts
I was talking with Tony and Dan at Gator last Friday and they said they have no more new ones incoming, and have one 21 GT that may or may not be pending. New Inventory is getting slim!

·
Administrator
6,961 Posts
I was talking with Tony and Dan at Gator last Friday and they said they have no more new ones incoming, and have one 21 GT that may or may not be pending. New Inventory is getting slim!
Judging from when I looked about a week ago on dealer sites and Lotus site it looked like Lotus of Naples had most cars in US available.

·
Registered
Coming Soon!
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Lotus also just took 5k-7500 off the '21 Evoras... Fyi
I'm guessing you're referring to the Conquest/Loyalty rebates, right?

It looks like I'll soon be a proud owner on a vehicle from Naples. I'm sure it'll take a few weeks to get here but so far their sales team has been the best to work with. Jimmy from Jacksonville FL was great too but just didn't have a color that I wanted.

Deposit down so just to complete the rest of the paperwork mid-week!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts