The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, everyone!

I just joined Lotus Talk and am hoping for some guidance. I'm sure this is the first of many questions I'll have over the months.

I am in the market for a new Lotus Evora. I just love everything I've read and heard about the car--it sounds like everything I am looking for.

The "problem" is that I am a complete rookie when it comes to sports cars. I love to drive, but my current car is a 2002 Mazda Protégé 5, and the cars I had before that are even less impressive. So, this will be a huge step up.

My question is this: Assuming for purposes of discussion that price is not an issue, do you recommend going for an Evora or an Evora S (in either case, it will be the manual transmission)? I don't intend to take the car to the track, and even though I've heard that the S has more going for it, I'm a little worried that it may be too much car for a newbie like me.

So, any advice you can give would be great.

Thank you!

·
Addict
2007 Lotus Exige S
1,423 Posts
I am not an Evora owner, but from other posts on this site it seems adding bost to an NA Evora is not an option. I have yet to own a car I thought had too much power, you should learn to control the car and if not take some classes.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
More novices get in trouble with the whole "mid-engine" snap oversteer issue, and not the too much HP issue. The only person I have ever heard of taking a car back for too much HP is Bill Cosby; he has a great routine he does about the time he bought a new Shelby Cobra Roadster with the 400+ cubic inch V8. He ends up returning the car to the dealer, after driving it 30 seconds (mostly over the curb and onto his neighbor's lawn).

·
Premium Member
617 Posts
If you never drive an S, you won't miss the power. I went from a Mercury Mystique (130hp) to the Evora. I will admit I always wanted a car with a Blower....

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was in the same position last month when I made my purchase. I thought the Evora NA would be just fine..... Which it is. Then I drove the S and the extra torque won me over. I also noted that it is a challenge to locate manual transmission cars, most around me were IPS. Good luck

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
I think this is pretty simple - if you can afford the S get the S. If it's "too much" you just don't have to put your foot too far to the floor. Trust us all when we say - it won't be and it can't be. I just supercharged my Exige - 360 whp at 1800lbs. It's insane but you know what - it could be more.

Get the S and go to either an AutoX school or ideally a local BMW/Porsche club driving school. Yes, I know you said you weren't planning to track and that's fine but if you want to learn how to drive the car this is the way. You'll have a dedicated instructor for the day, someone in your car at all times keeping you and your car safe. It's is exceedingly rare that something bad happens at an event like this (and you can even get insurance for some events)

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I have a regular Evora and I shat all over it for being slow around town. It turns out that if you mash the gas it transforms into a bloody wild animal. I'm sure the S is more satisfying, but I was pretty impressed. Remember that I daily drive an Audi S4 that's way quicker than the base Evora, and had an Elise SC that runs with an Evora S from stoplight to stoplight. I didn't feel that the extra 20k (up in Canada) was necessarily worth it, but that's the mood I was in at that time. I feel like the NA is plenty.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
I have a base model Elise and am always envious of owners who have the supercharged model. It is an emotional thing. Go for the S if you can afford it.

Everyone talks about needing to learn to drive a mid-engined sports car. If you are just driving it around town and sometimes doing straight line acceleration to show your friends you will be fine without any lessons.

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
I'm a little worried that it may be too much car for a newbie like me.

Thank you!
The peddle on the right is the throttle. You don't have to push down on it any harder than you want to. It's a great feature.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
I covet an S but really the NA is just great. I don't really need more HP in normal driving.

·
Registered
184 Posts
As has been said...the S is just plain awesome, but you aren't selling yourself short by getting an NA. I bought my S and my buddy bought an NA a day or so later after he saw the body and he loves his rig. We are taking them to the track next Thursday!

If you get the S and the power is over the top (really can't imagine that as I am waiting for the CAI to mate up to my Plack exhaust so I can ring a few more ponies out of her) then don't press the sport button. lol.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cool--Thanks, Clayton! Hopefully I'll have one or the other within the next 30-45 days.

--Dan

·
Registered
88 Posts
I daily drive a 300 whp sti (not a ton but it has enough to make it fun)
My elise is just an NA - and they drive like night an day.

If I had it to do over again I think I would have gotten a supercharged Lotus, but Im still a new owner and I will either supercharge this one or maybe get an exige in a year or two (hopefully we will get the newer Exige "s" here in america)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts