The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

2K views 35 replies 15 participants last post by  serpent 
#1 ·
Hi, everybody!
:wave:
As of today, I am the proud owner of my first car, a graphite grey 2007 ExigeS that I can finally afford to finance (even if I have to eat bottom ramen). It's shipping from Texas to my home in NY this afternoon and arriving on Tuesday or Wednesday. There will be pix :coolnana: so many pics. :D

My dad already has an Elise, so I should have a feel for my Exige S...

OMG! Can't wait! Can't sleep!

#3 ·
hey, congrats and welcome.

Try to keep busy until your car gets to you and try not to think about it..lol

#4 ·
:wave:Congrats and welcome!

#5 ·
*fidgets*

Damn! It's still Friday.

*googles more Exige S reviews I've already read 10x*
*tries to work*

Glad to be aboard :)

#6 ·
:wave: Welcome. Ahhhhh I remember that feeling - like Christmas when you're 5 years old!!

Post pics when it arrives :up:

Observation -> If you claim to be female then you will get lots more people saying "hi". :shrug:

#7 ·
Welcome aboard & enjoy your new baby! :shift:

#8 ·
Congrats. You will be more than pleased.

Check out Lotus Enthusiats Org, LEO on a link somewhere here. Administered by Atwell Haines, carbuff.

We have a few events coming up.

#9 ·
I definitely will! The first thing I need to do is get a new set of front tires, though. It sounds like that run $500 for a pair of the Yokohama A048lts ones that are currently on the car, so maybe I'll get them for my birthday on Apr. 15th. The private inspector gave the fronts a 3/10 and the rears a 6-7/10.

He said there also seems to be a video camera mount between the seats, so I'm betting it was tracked. The RPMs never exceeded 8000 for over 0.5 seconds, so I'm not too worried. I ended up getting it for 42K without tax plus $650 for shipping, and that seems like a great price.

I would expect the rear tires to wear faster, do you guys think they've already been replaced once? Keep in mind there's only 6650 miles on the car. Thanks :)

And if any of you guys have an Exige S, can you hear the supercharger? Does it have any pressure release on shifts (like how a blow-off valve operates on a turbo, I know some superchargers also do this)? Does it have any gear whine (I hope it does)? I don't mean like straight-cut gears, just anything you can hear... I've watched videos, but the sound is usually crappy.

#11 ·
Does an oil filter and new tires count as a mod if I sharpie "Type R" on them?

I'll be sticking to a very regimented budget for a while... but here's a little list of things I'd like to do to the car, in their order of importance:

make top scoop functional, if it isn't
New front tires, alignment
oil/oil filter
LoJack
rearview replacement (if I really need it)
blow off valve (if it's ok for the car, and makes it go PSH! on gear shifts, without compromising performance)
Replace roof with the newer one with the larger scoop

I figure any big performance upgrades will require engine modification so that I don't break and wear things... so those are way down the road.

#12 ·
Does an oil filter and new tires count as a mod if I sharpie "Type R" on them?

I'll be sticking to a very regimented budget for a while... but here's a little list of things I'd like to do to the car, in their order of importance:

make top scoop functional, if it isn't
New front tires, alignment
oil/oil filter
LoJack
rearview replacement (if I really need it)
blow off valve (if it's ok for the car, and makes it go PSH! on gear shifts, without compromising performance)
Replace roof with the newer one with the larger scoop

I figure any big performance upgrades will require engine modification so that I don't break and wear things... so those are way down the road.
:huh: :wallbang:

#14 ·
Hey! At least the other things aren't stupid! I don't know much about root's superchargers, or superchargers in general. Just sayin'... BOVs make everything sound cooler. Would it be useless? Pardon my extreme ignorance :eek:

#16 ·
Awesome to hear about your new Exige - I just got my Elise back from some warranty work and it's like xmas for me all over again. I know exactly how you feel.

LoJack? You in a bad neighborhood? If my Elise was stolen, good for them - I wouldn't want it back. I'd hope it never got back to me with all the damage and bad energy/memories.

Cobra boasted for a while that no Lotus was ever stolen in the US... sure you need the LoJack?

#17 ·
I'm in a great neighborhood, but I work out on the Island in no mans land.

Also, because I live in New York State where theft is higher, LoJack saves me a lot on car insurance ($380 currently, through USAA with a $1000 deductable, since I'm 22). My grandma got my brother in California a LoJack system, so she wants to do the same for me... No complaints there. :rolleyes:

I wonder how much weight LoJack adds rotfl

#19 ·
Great to know! I have USAA as well, I dont need Lojack on my current car but I was considering it to be the next purchase after I fill up my tank for the first time.

I live in a decent neighborhood, north of me less than 1 mile away is a "nicer" area and a friend had rims stolen his 2009 Tahoe(STOCK RIMS) and a neighbor had his rims stolen too.... That is scary. less than 2 stop signs away I saw another Ford 500 sitting on bricks that used to have CHROMED rims. But over all crime in Miami/ South Florida has increased quite a bit in the last few months.

Granted Lojack isn't for that, but there stealing rims... Its a matter of time before someone gets a car stolen, if it hasn't already happened and we just don't hear it.

I almost feel as if people wouldn't steal it. Its like, how many ferrari's or Lamborghini get stolen. You have to know how to work the vehicles, hot wire, etc etc.

Is it naive to think that?

As for parking at my Job I feel 99% safe.

#21 ·
"and has an integrated by-pass valve, as far as I recall."

Yay! It already goes PSH!!

rotfl

...You're going to strike me with something heavy, aren't you?

#25 ·
oh man, that's awesome. :clap:

I hear there's also audible gear whine on top of the supercharger whine... <drool>

The truck driver must not sleep. It's a 30 hour drive at the speed limit, and he said he might be here by Sunday (he's leaving today). Can't wait. Tnx for the replies, I'm even more psyched now.

#28 ·
shut up :( no i don't! rotfl

:no:

Do I have to edit that out? :D

#30 ·
lol... and I know a supercharger runs off the engine and not exhaust gasses and all that >=( <grumph>

Why wouldn't you want to blow off pressure when you upshift? I'm guessing there's no lag in a root's supercharger, and that the pressure it generates corresponds to engine rpm because it's powered off the cam... so there's nothing to blow off?

Anyhoo, the car sounds sick in all of the videos I've been watching, I'll be so happy with it. But I have much to learn, and I don't think the car comes with a service manual... I'll have to look for one, any tips?

and, unfortunately, the truck driver tells me he now has to pick up another car in Oklahoma on Monday, so I think I'm back to Weds/Thurs for delivery at best.

#31 ·
Hey Cthulhu, I voted for you when you ran for president a few years back, I really like your campaign slogan "why choose the lesser of two evils?" Good luck with whatever you are doing these days brother.
I still rock the t-shirt:clap:

#33 ·
Too bad he didn't win. The guy who is a president now is not nearly as cool looking as cthulhu

#35 ·
and I wanted a BOV... rotfl

I LOVE THIS CAR!!! :D

If you haven't seen the pix, check the Exige section, I uploaded some cellphone pix my friend took of me driving it off the truck, the first wash, and a few others.

I'm being gentle with it (aside from a few guilty 8K rpm shifts :rolleyes: ) until I change the oil. It looks pretty clean, but I just got a new filter and ordered 6 qts of Havoline 5W-40 on amazon.

I think I'm in love with my supercharger :eek:
Oh and the graphite grey is like gunmetal, it looks so nice when it's cloudy or at sunset :D I'm planning on doing a photo shoot with my D-SLR camera this weekend after I wax and detail the hell outa it and clay bar 1 or 2 little scuffs.

...and btw, WHO THE HELL ARMORALLS A WINDSHIELD!? :no:
I swear the dealership did exactly that! As soon as I got hit by headlights I noticed it. It was a terrifying drive home on the bumpy and pothole filled Jersey turnpike and BQE. Then, it took me 30 minutes to detergent and Windex that **** off. :mad: :mad:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.