The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I figured I'd introduce myself. I first heard about the Elise watching Top Gear awhile ago, and once I showed my wife the car she fell as in love as I did. I'm in the researching and dreaming phase right now, but it looks like in about three years I should be able to purchase one.

I decided when I sold my Corolla last year that I'd never drive a boring car again. I have a daily driver (1970 Mercedes 220D) already, and that'll take care of the extra seats if we have children and/or trips to the store, so the lotus looks like a real possibility.

Just saying hi, and thanks for the great forum!

Cheers,
Ryan

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
Nows a great time to buy if you got the funds

Welcome and good luck

PS: when you go for a test drive take a blank check with you :D

·
Registered
531 Posts
Welcome :wave:

Don't test drive one until you are ready to buy because you will not be satisfied with any other sports car!
You will become obsessed and start dreaming about Lotus every night. It happened to me. :sad:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the welcome! I have a motorcycle to take care of some of the need for speed :shift: I'm definitely holding off on the test drive until I can get one!

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
I must say the same, Don't test drive unless you are going to buy!! I Just bought mine and when I test drove it, I had to have it!!!! It's the rush of the car its self, fills like you are part of the car and takes nothing to move it on the road. Was like I thought about a cruve and bam it went around it. I have owned and still have MR2's (91 NA and 91 turbo) but is not close to the same in the seat. Kinda like love at firts site, but first drive insted. One of the best cars I have ever been in, if you like a over grown gocart with a rocket straped to it. Hope you get yours soon and enjoy.

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts
Welcome!!! :wave:

·
Super Moderator
5,459 Posts
Welcome :wave:
I decided when I sold my Corolla last year that I'd never drive a boring car again.
I had that very thought on completing Uni following a succession of very boring cars :) ... unfortunately the Elise was a long way from even getting to a drawing board at that time so I had to get a seven!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well gang, I have a question for you. I've been searching for the last hour or so but to no avail.

When I get the car it'll be a daily driver when there's no snow on the roads, meaning summer and winter tires (it still gets cold) and approximately 8-10k miles a year. I'm handy with a wrench so I'll be doing all the maint. Is $2000/yr a good budget for maintenance including tires and brakes or am I way to low/high?

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts
If you're not going to track it at all, that sounds a little high to me. I replaced A048's after 3,000 miles, but that included 2 track days....

Without track days, your need for brakes and tires should be greatly reduced.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
tires and brakes would really depend on your driving style.

·
shay2nak
25,083 Posts
sup ryan.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...obviously there area a lot of variables at play, but i'd say that yes, $2000 per year is a nicely conservative number for street driving with the occasional track day, and if you do most of your own maintenance you'll be pleasantly surprised by spending considerably less than that...the greatest routine expense is just tires, and you can save a lot of money choosing an alternative to OEM (which i haven't)...

...good luck in your search - once you drive yours, you'll wonder why you squandered so many years without a proper car to enjoy...

·
Registered
689 Posts
Welcome and hope you are able to get the CAR. You'll have to get one once you see and drive them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts