The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
teeth 006.jpg

Okay, not really, but I am happy with the results-

My inspiration was Doug's (Dmbrown34) car- He gave me a few tips, and it turned out to be a fun little project- In fact, I'm already making another set, as $7 gets you 10' of vinyl gutter at Lowes- The assembly I'm making now is basically the same, except there are more and smaller teeth- I'm a little concerned about air flow-

It's really easy, and the Elise is extremely accommodating- I took a few measurements; calculated the top and bottom rows; cut everything out with Andy snips; heated and formed the assemblies with a heat gun to fit the opening-

Here's the cool part- The Elise grill pops right out, and the top teeth just happen to have a ridge that pops right in to the 4 clamps riveted to the car- On the bottom, I used black vinyl rivets (Lowes again) just like the ones that hold our fender liners in- So, the car isn't altered at all, and the change takes 5 minutes max! Besides, this is a track-only mod for me-

My boys love it- Kinda looks like a car from the Cars movie (but a little meaner)-

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I take it you had a Miata in your garage at some point? There are lots of different types out there for the Miata's but hadn't thought to do them for the Elise yet. Hmm.. It would be a good view in the mirror for that poor guy in your sights at the track! :)

·
Registered
161 Posts
It looks real cool & alive:cool: you surely have a lot of time on your hands...

·
Registered
6,950 Posts
Someone is going to say this, so let me be first..........what about the air restriction you have placed on the both the cooling and HVAC systems?

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Someone is going to say this, so let me be first..........what about the air restriction you have placed on the both the cooling and HVAC systems?
View attachment 88773

I'm already making another set, as $7 gets you 10' of vinyl gutter at Lowes- The assembly I'm making now is basically the same, except there are more and smaller teeth- I'm a little concerned about air flow-
;)

·
Registered
571 Posts
Mine sneaks up on small children

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
I do love these. Doug's car is always the first to catch my eye when looking through Lotus Challenge Series pics. Love that pic of his car with the Ferrari with teeth when the gumball guys stopped by the track.

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
I want one. Track and autocross only, of course.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Theres a guy at our SCCA AutoX events that has teeth on his car as well (not an Elise). It definitely catches your eye!

A couple of notes/suggestions:
- it looks like you may have some finger prints on the front of the car above the front badge. Those will buff right out -poke-

- If you make a new set of the teeth, try to align them so they look like they fit if they would come together.

Congrats on a fun project!

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I do love these. Doug's car is always the first to catch my eye when looking through Lotus Challenge Series pics. Love that pic of his car with the Ferrari with teeth when the gumball guys stopped by the track.
+1

I am not familiar with the Miatas, Dragon- I just thought Doug was a genious :shrug:- His was the first and, until now, only I'd seen-

It'd be cool to take this a step further with your expertise Keith- What do you think about a BRG car, and perhaps some vinyl for the front quarters that resembles the old "shark mouth" nose paint from WW2? It's fitting it was often used by the Royal Air Force- You could even have little Porsche emblems with "X's" over them on the door! It'd be the Axis and Allies all over again! Am I getting carried away? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
341 Posts
I am totally doing that for halloween. (on Chrome Orange)

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
I think if I make one of these, I'll add a gold tooth for a little extra bling.

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
Would go great with that ebay art pictured earlier (the one that looked like the car had hit a pedestrian) on the wall in the background!

Phantom, i like the shark mouth idea. I swear I've seen it done here a long time ago. I still like these teeth the best though, (which is bad for business, lol) they are just fun.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts