The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Very nice work! That's how you do it right..

I buried a Pioneer GEX unit in another car, but had to run a separate (thin) display for it. I like your all-integrated solution much better.

I wouldn't paint the XM antenna.. like MattG says, the metal flake would probably stomp reception. It's a pretty weak signal to begin with. That, and it would stand out all weird if it was a color-matched lump.

You could probably tuck the antenna under one of the black trim pieces if you wanted to, like the GPS antenna.

Did you find any other alarm bits while you were in there? Main box?

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
i am thinking of putting the xm antenna in under one of the front covers...they are not metal so it should be fine up there. i wonder if the roll hoop might not eclipse the satellties at times leading to possible intermittent reception?

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
There is a buffer of a few seconds built into the system, so some momentary blockage won't cut your music.

Further, you're in TN so you might get signal from both satellites (Rock & Roll) which would help coverage too. If your radio has a Debug/Diag mode you can see the individual raw signal strengths on all three signals, which helps with positioning.

The best way to find out is to try it. I have a spare XM Radio car antenna that I use for this -- just try sticking it in different locations around the car for a few days to see if it works out. I found that my rear-window factory "tint", mild as it is, completely blocks the XM signal.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Metallic paint won't interfere with XM radio reception. I hid an XM antenna in my Nissan Murano's hatch (glacier pearl white paint) and reception was fine. I would think that you could paint that XM radio antenna and still be OK.

Bob

·
Registered
645 Posts
What was hard about getting out the passenger seat? How hard was getting the back panel off?

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
MickOpalak said:
Awesome bit of kit. Tell me about the head unit please. Obviously its a GPS navigation unit and radio, but does it play CDs? MP3s? Cassettes? 8 tracks? :D Does it have a slot for a SD card like the factory touring head unit?

dvd/cd/mp3

no slot for a sd card

go to http://www.avic-n1.com for more info

This unit does alot

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Evl said:
Looks very nice! Can you post a pic of the stereo with the display closed? Thanks...
nav mode.

there are 4 different nav views. one nav/radio view, and car preformance view. besides, radio, dvd, mp3, cd view.

Attachments

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
xm radio view.

you can change the background pic. there are like 10 preset ones and then you can add your own pics by burning them to a cd.

Attachments

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
car performance view. you can change the gauges to several different things.

Attachments

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
you can also keep the screen in if you want. and there is a small 10-15 letter screen to display stuff.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Stan said:
How about some more pics/details about the two firewall pass-thru grommets? Thanks.
sorry no pics of the grommets.
but if you look in this pic its right of the seat belt. driver side is about 3-4 inches. the passenger side is about 1 inch.

Attachments

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
KuroiSport said:
What was hard about getting out the passenger seat? How hard was getting the back panel off?
left bolt was side bots were pretty easy to get out. right side was more of a pain. to get the front right one out you need to use an allen key to take it out. mine was in there pretty good. the back one you need to use an allen key to take off the pump for the seat. other wise you can not get a good angle on the bolt. and then you have to use a pretty long socket to get it. i dont remember what size allen it is.

back comes off with a little effort. just need to work it off.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Hollywood said:
you can also keep the screen in if you want. and there is a small 10-15 letter screen to display stuff.
Yeah, this is actually what I wanted the pic of... I've seen the unit at a local stereo place, and on their display, it stuck out quite a bit. I was wondering how it looks in the dash when not open.

The nav screens are pretty cool looking tho!

·
Registered
409 Posts
Robert Puertas said:
Can you paint the XM Antenna box on the engine cover?
Last year I was down in Georgia riding with a friend in a VW Westfalia camper van. He decides to use his XM kit in his van for the first time. We plug it in, stick the adaptor in the tape deck, he hands me the antenna, he turns on his radio, I realize here we are sitting facing north in the van with good reception.

I slid the antenna up under the plastic soft top. He keeps it there now - good reception even through some canvas and fiberglass.

Paint should not bother it but you may be quicker to lose signal when a truck passes by.

·
Registered
7,712 Posts
hey nice set up....i have 2 setups with the older pioneer units...
word of advice....anyone on the street can easily look into ur car from the car next to u....if a cop happens to roll up next to u and u have a dvd in and he sees it, thats like a 3k ticket and probably lose ur license....
i realize things may be different where ur from.....

21 - 40 of 76 Posts