The Lotus Cars Community banner

41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Uhm, it appears to me this unit does soooo much more then provide just a TV function. Why leave out the GPS, XM, MP3 and performance displays out of the equation. It is a mini monitor that prvides a wealth of display information. So now you can feel better about it Stan :D

·
Registered
687 Posts
Hollywood said:
xm radio view.

you can change the background pic. there are like 10 preset ones and then you can add your own pics by burning them to a cd.
In this pic, you have the windshield wipers turned on. Do you have to turn them on everytime the display opens up? It looks like the lever would get in the way.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
That’s a really nice head unit, but I don’t see myself putting anything that involved in the Liz. Once you’ve added that you’ll need to add maybe two amps (one for the speakers and one for the sub). Where are you mounting all this stuff? Not to mention the crossovers for all those speakers.
The weight would be my main concern; however the space a setup such as yours requires would be hard for me to overlook.

I also intend to change the stock head unit to something else; something more powerful. This will be done so I can avoid adding any amps. While I like some bass I have chosen to skip adding a sub this time. I’m hoping the speakers I have selected will give me more bass than the stock setup.

In the end I guess it comes down to what compromises you are willing to accept. That said and done I think your system looks great. Now that it’s in, how does it sound? How many watts is it putting out?

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
>>> Where are you mounting all this stuff? Not to mention the crossovers for all those speakers. The weight would be my main concern; however the space a setup such as yours requires would be hard for me to overlook.<<<

A guy in Germany designed a high end audio system for the Elise that is triamplified, has a sub in front of the passenger's feet, many midbass modules on top of the dash but hidden, tactile transducers mounted to the seats, custom parametric EQ, and so forth. Adds 7-8 pounds to the car. He did neat stuff like using the aluminum chassis of the car as the heat sink for the amps. It hits somewhere around 115 db. The tactile transducers are nice because you get the bass effect without the SPL and they work well in convertibles which lose bass easily.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
the xm antennae i have are all paintable surfaces. as my other car is black and the antenna is a matte black i left it as is. will most likely leave this one as is also. i am going to use the roady 2 in the elise. should have it done tomorrow. i also hope to have a lot of pix of the install. if i absolutely love the custom sub box and people are interested in it i think we can arrange to have them made available. it is going to have a brushed aluminum front surface suitable for use as a footrest (above and extending the surface of the existing footrest

now...anybody got info on some .9 micron laser diode set ups that can be slipped into the front grill? maybe with a lens that disperses the light about a road width at a hundred meters or so... :D

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Dan said:
In this pic, you have the windshield wipers turned on. Do you have to turn them on everytime the display opens up? It looks like the lever would get in the way.
yea it just gets in the way. going up is no problem. it just push the wipers on. but going down it gets stuck.

when i get in to start the car. i do this.....
1. get in
2. turn key to acc.
3. put on seat belt
4. turn wipers off
5. turn key to run
6. push start button.
7. drive.
8. stop.
9. take key out.
10. put wipers on for next time.

i may just remove the end cap on the wipers.

·
Registered
964 Posts
wiring

Hollywood,

Can you help me with my wiring an amp to the head unit?

I can not find any opening hehind the head unit. How did you run your wire through to it? Please let me know.
Thanks.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
you need to take the radio holder out. (the little frame that the radio snaps into in the dash.) once thats out you will see a little space to slide wires into that travels along the passenger side. that leads over to the passenger side cubby cover. you will need to take that off. then if you look down to the left sode of that you see a hole. thats where i ran mine down. hope this helps.

sorry i dont have any pics.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Wiring

Hollywood said:
you need to take the radio holder out. (the little frame that the radio snaps into in the dash.) once thats out you will see a little space to slide wires into that travels along the passenger side. that leads over to the passenger side cubby cover. you will need to take that off. then if you look down to the left sode of that you see a hole. thats where i ran mine down. hope this helps.

sorry i dont have any pics.
Thanks. I got mine done this way as well. :clap:

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
Hollywood,

Did you place any amps, if so where? How is the sound through the speakers? Also did you change the speakers?

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
no amps or speakers. new speakers around xmass and maybe an amp. the new hu made the speakers sound alot better.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
Sensor in the back?

Hollywood,

What function does that sensor on the back panel do? The reason I ask is it seems like the back panel where the sensor is seems like a great spot to place an amp, as long as it is fasten securely. Do you think it is possible to move the sensor, without screwing the alarm up.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
that sensor is so the alarm will go off if anyone sticks there arms in with the top off. i dont plan on moving it. :no: plus i wouldnt really put an amp anywhere out in the open where it can even be seen.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Re: Sensor in the back?

scottyb said:
Hollywood,

What function does that sensor on the back panel do? The reason I ask is it seems like the back panel where the sensor is seems like a great spot to place an amp, as long as it is fasten securely. Do you think it is possible to move the sensor, without screwing the alarm up.

the JLAudio 300/4 amp fits on the wall there just below the motion sensor. it is almost inconspicuous...but not really :D

·
Registered
979 Posts
Hollywood,

What did the Elise need to add the aftermarket HU to it? I have the Kenwood motorized 7" I'm going to be installing and want to try to do it myself. My car needed a wiring harness, radio adapter, and the plate that holds it in place. Will I need any of these for the Elise? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
i didnt have to buy anything new. i just cut the stock plug and spliced the radio wires in. as long as the kenwood is a single din you will be fine.

41 - 60 of 76 Posts