The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
901 Posts
I drove a Noble at our track day last year. The US importer, Dean Rosen (www.1GRacing.com) brought two M12's down. Performance is ridiculous. I was going down an on ramp thinking OK I'm at about 60MPH. Truth was I was almost at 90MPH. Torque out the wazoo and suprisingly unique sound with the twin-turbo Duratec V6. Ergonomics are not a strong point but for performance it would be hard to beat for the money.

Let's leave it at I wouldn't trade my 1999 Esprit V8 for it, but what a hoot.

Mark Pfeffer

·
Banned
901 Posts
Chris:

My initial thought was the same, "OH God another kit car", but it's very well done. The Chassis is superb. Ergonomics are typical cottge industry with Ford bits, but they do work.

The engine is Ford's Duratec with two T-25 Garrett turbos (same ones on a V8 Esprit) and with the oversquare design of the engine, it has boatloads of torque. Noble, I think, does their own programming of the brain box. It's sort of the car to compare performance too in The UK now. There was some concern whether the engine we'd use in the USA(Ford taurus V6 form a slavage yard) is the same as the one Noble has "the shop next door" install.

Mark (I'll Keep my Esprit ) Pfeffer

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I can only speak for myself but I wouldn't put a scrap yard engine in a car I just paid $53k for. I spoke to Ron at 1gracing. He said the Noble’s engine is imported by another nearby company. It must be done this way. To legally sell it in the USA the car and engine supplier must be separate. The engines are brand new and have full warranty. The whole deal out the door will set you back about $73k.

While Nobles are sold here as Kitcars, they are production cars in Europe. By importing them as a Kitcar (minus engine and drive train) they can bypass the federal regulations. Too bad no one is doing this for TVR.

Video links:
Topgear Best British Car Video

PS: Noble vs Esprit... That's just plain funny... Noble please:)

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
Derek,
I certainly understand it's not a kit car. But it looks like one in the pics, I'm sorry for approx 75K lots of other rides I'd buy before that.
Chris
Maybe and that's your right. But for $75k there is virtually nothing that will beat a Noble on the track or on the street in performance. So it's really down to what you want it for. If it's about performance you will be looking at a much more expensive car to get close to Noble performance.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts