The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The current selling Lotus Exige really caught my eye and brought me here (even though I've always loved the cars). I obviously found out that they are non-US, and I will be getting my 2009 S260 Sport on Saturday. :shift:

But what do you guys think of the new heavier/longer Exige with the V6 versus the previous model?

If you had the option would you keep your current Exige that is lighter and smaller, or "upgrade" to the new larger/look and V6?

I understand it is only marginally faster but would have a substantial price increase if released in the US.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
personally, I think there are some aspects that look nicer, sharper and perhaps more in line with the modern style. But overall, i think the older ones look so much better as well as more unique. also the full mohawk is gone, which made it more aggressive looking. that said, I do like the wheels and exhaust they are putting on the currently selling Exiges...

·
Relapsing Honda fan
1,259 Posts
I keep going back and forth. The perfect solution, to me anyway, would have been to name it Europa instead. That would have actually made sense.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
personally, I think there are some aspects that look nicer, sharper and perhaps more in line with the modern style. But overall, i think the older ones look so much better as well as more unique. also the full mohawk is gone, which made it more aggressive looking. that said, I do like the wheels and exhaust they are putting on the currently selling Exiges...
Ya, I definitely like the mohawk and it's aggressiveness. Too bad they got rid of that, makes the car look more "normal" in profile. The new wheels are sweet! I noticed they switched to 5-lug, due to the higher weight?

·
Super Moderator
5,461 Posts
I'm absolutely sold on it :)

A couple of friends have them and I haven't accepted a ride or drive because I'm not in a position to buy one today (need more garage space... hence new house first!!)... but as soon as I can I plan to get the Exige Roadster (I'm not a fan of the new cars rear wing). In terms of performance the only impression I can type on a family friendly forum is "bonkers" :D

For reference it is $145k here...

·
Premium Member
4,117 Posts
I like the U.S. ones better, the lines are so much more aesthetic to me.

·
Registered
658 Posts
v6 performance is far better. stability control is so good, gearbox is good unlike the 4 cylinder, power is much smoother. i'd get one in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
1998 Elise Duratec, 2009 Exige S240 (+TVS1320 / CC)
908 Posts
I've this debate too...
Unlike the US, soon we'll be able to buy the Exige V6 here in UAE...but do I sell my rare 2010 Cup 260 to fund it???

From a pure styling point of view I think my 2010 is more cohesive - the V6 has clearly been 'stretched' & the rear looks a bit bulky, hence the lights now look too small. I prefer the wheels, roof scoop, carbon etc of my Cup too...it was built at a time when Lotus really threw everything at it to make the best they could. I'm sure the V6 will get there, but Lotus aren't hungry enough yet...

Having said that, from what I've read / watched the V6 is more 'planted', faster, and the sound / torque of a SC V6 would be epic in a car that's still less than 1200 KG...

The debate in my mind continues, if I drove one, I'm sure I'd be signing some paperwork by the afternoon...

·
Registered
1998 Elise Duratec, 2009 Exige S240 (+TVS1320 / CC)
908 Posts
Perhaps that's why I've left my V.I.N. with Lotus Dubai for them to tell me the cost to change ;-)

Off to the Europe next week...will try to blag a test drive :)

·
Registered
283 Posts
Exige V6 or a used 360, the only 2 cars I would eventually sell my current Elise for.

Yes I'm sold on this new Exige. I wouldnt mind the extra weight too much considering the 350hp V6.
I think it's a great engine matched with the best chassis. You cant go wrong with that.
But again, living on the wrong continent.

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
I keep going back and forth. The perfect solution, to me anyway, would have been to name it Europa instead. That would have actually made sense.
Too soon after production of the most recent Europa (2007 I think), a completely different car.

Attachments

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the rear looks a bit bulky, hence the lights now look too small.
I noticed that too. The rear end on the new Exige isn't super attractive like the rest of the car.

There is just something about the current Exige that looks out of place to me versus the previous version:

The size of the fenders in combination with the huge front air cutouts on a small car just makes it look slightly out of proportion. A more "traditional" looking sports car versus the previous Exige being more "unique", but definitely a beautiful car.

IMO if they kept the bulk down on the front end, kept the roof mohawk intake and tweaked the rear end so it wasn't so blocky/plain, the car would be insane. Would the new Exige run into six figure territory in the US if they sold it here you think?

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
I wasn't a fan of the V6 Exige until I actually saw one in person. I walked by a parked one several times last summer, and completely changed my mind. To me, the proportions are absolutely perfect. Now, I think my car looks a bit off.

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
IMO if they kept the bulk down on the front end, kept the roof mohawk intake and tweaked the rear end so it wasn't so blocky/plain, the car would be insane. Would the new Exige run into six figure territory in the US if they sold it here you think?
You would want a Mohawk roof even if it's not necessary/functional?

If it didn't hit six figures it would be very close.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I'd keep my S2 Exige over the new Exige...but would take the new Exige over an Evora anyday.

I consider the new UK Exige to be more of an Evora replacement than an Exige replacement.

·
Registered
5,350 Posts
I'm not a fan of the new car, except for the front, which I absolutely adore, but I don't track my car either, so the increased performance doesn't interest me. I'm also a huge no-compromise person, and believer in the Colin Chapman philosophy of increased performance through low weight, and the new car simply doesn't do that. It's not what I'd call a heavy car, but it didn't go the direction I wanted it too (probably because it's so expensive these days to make cars light...and quality).

CN: Lightness and aesthetics over maximum performance, so the old car wins for me.

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
I'm not a fan of the new car, except for the front, which I absolutely adore, but I don't track my car either, so the increased performance doesn't interest me. I'm also a huge no-compromise person, and believer in the Colin Chapman philosophy of increased performance through low weight, and the new car simply doesn't do that. It's not what I'd call a heavy car, but it didn't go the direction I wanted it too (probably because it's so expensive these days to make cars light...and quality).

CN: Lightness and aesthetics over maximum performance, so the old car wins for me.
You have to remember Chapman built some porky cars when compared to the Elise/Exige. The Esprit was a lot heavier, the Eclat, the second gen Elite, Excel...all heavier than the Elige.

Sure, the 7, Elan, and Europa were all a LOT lighter than the Elige, but Chapman did wander from the absolute lightness reservation once in a while.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts