The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
"The quickest time ever around the Nurburgring is 6:11.13, with Stefan Bellof behind the wheel of a Porsche 956 in 1984."

Was that the same configuration as now? With all the advances in race car technology, no one has driven faster in the last 27 years?!

·
Registered
613 Posts
"The quickest time ever around the Nurburgring is 6:11.13, with Stefan Bellof behind the wheel of a Porsche 956 in 1984."

Was that the same configuration as now? With all the advances in race car technology, no one has driven faster in the last 27 years?!
27 years?

I suspect the reason is because professional race teams don't test there any more. It hasn't been used for F1 since the 70s. I don't think LeMans prototypes can test there. The Ring is mostly used by auto manufacturers for testing, or public lapping.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
27 years?

I suspect the reason is because professional race teams don't test there any more. It hasn't been used for F1 since the 70s. I don't think LeMans prototypes can test there. The Ring is mostly used by auto manufacturers for testing, or public lapping.
Sorry, 25 yrs. Never was too good at math. Seem to remember some recent F1 driver (Kovelienin) setting an all time track record not too long ago.

·
Registered
613 Posts
186 kph at 1.7 g through Klostertal. I'm surprised he was able to set a new record with all that extra weight from those brass balls you'd have to have to run like that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts