The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the Elise is tucked away for the winter, and winter is coming here in the Midwest, so, being an optimist, I'm looking to get opinions and thoughts on the perennial brake pad question. There seems to be a proliferation of choices these days from al the usual vendors, and short of trying out a bunch, I'd be curious to know people's REAL LIFE experience with pads in the last year or two.

Intended usage 50-50 street and HPDE's.

Wish list:

-reduced brake dust from OEM pads

-little to no squeaking

-easy to moderate wear on rotors.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And I'll start the answers by giving my views on CL+ pads (sold by S111).

Ran them for about 6 track days, felt very good and progressive, with better bite than OEM pads. Because they're metallic the dust is essentially metal flakes that come off easily, except if you get things wet and leave it on. Overall an improvement over OEM pads.

They are moderately hard on the rotors.

After bedding they are virtually squeak free, though at 5 MPH or less you may occasionally get a sound. Nothing objectionable.

And they are pretty pricey. After a few sessions they are pretty far gone, and I'm not a particularly hard driver.

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I found some of those too, but I'm asking for recent usage experience not whether someone likes Pagids or not. There really isn't much about EBC, CL and some of the in-between compounds that I'm asking about.

Anyone care to contribute?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Brake Pads

I'm using Carbotech 10s. With a similar usage pattern as you, I'm very happy with both track and street performance but they do squeal on the street in the last few feet of a gentle stop. They are easy on the exhorbitantly-priced AP rotors, but the pads themselves wear quickly (at least they do under my right foot). The wear rate means they are somewhat dusty, but this wipes off easily (compared to previously used Pagids).

Although a PITA, probably the best way to go is with a set of Carbotech street pads and a separate set of Carbotech race pads for the track. Since the two compounds are compatible, there is no burnish procedure required to change back and forth between the compounds. Haven't done this yet but believe Ryan (Ryephile) does this.

·
3,201 Posts
Yeah, I found some of those too, but I'm asking for recent usage experience not whether someone likes Pagids or not. There really isn't much about EBC, CL and some of the in-between compounds that I'm asking about.

Anyone care to contribute?
Well then ask a specific question and you'll get a specific answer?

CL Pads
EBC Pads

I run one pad in my car - Pagid RS14s. I never think about my brakes, I never have to. They never fade and are extremely consistent with low dust for a track pad. You say 50/50 street/HPDE - if that's true are you doing 10-20 HPDE days a year or only driving 5-6 street days?

Again be specific and you'll get specific answers. Start another general thread, of which there are millions and I'll search for you.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ross, are you having a rough day? There are plenty of threads where I shrug and move on, it makes for lower blood pressure.

I asked the questions I wanted to ask. Got one answer. If that's it, so be it.

·
3,201 Posts
Ross, are you having a rough day? There are plenty of threads where I shrug and move on, it makes for lower blood pressure.

I asked the questions I wanted to ask. Got one answer. If that's it, so be it.
Nope, very relaxed actually. Helping on the forum as I cook a late Thanksgiving dinner for some friends.

I do get rather annoyed with the same old threads over and over again - and there are already so many topics on brake pads that we just don't need another (all IMHO). If you want to get specific (I just asked some specific questions) I'll talk brakes with you all day long. Saying "I 50 street/track and...." is the same-ole same-ole to me.

And you're right, I should have moved on rather than trying to continue to help. I think I'll do that now, best of luck.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I just fitted Pagid blue to my car and hate them. They squeal like a pig. Might need to chamfer the leading edge of the pads and spray the discs with squeak stop.

·
3,201 Posts
I just fitted Pagid blue to my car and hate them. They squeal like a pig. Might need to chamfer the leading edge of the pads and spray the discs with squeak stop.
Did you put the anti-squeal grease on the back sides of the pads then do the full bed-in procedure right after installing them? If not those are most likely the reason they are squealing - I run the 14s (black) and mine almost never squeal (unless I don't bed them properly)

·
Registered
224 Posts
Ross,
I have just driven the car about 100 miles on normal road driving and braking and still squealing. Just bought a can of squeal stop spray on my return and hit the front discs with it. Seems to be o.k now.
Whats the bedding in procedure ? I assume jumping on the brakes a few times hard ?
Brian.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Ross,
I have just driven the car about 100 miles on normal road driving and braking and still squealing. Just bought a can of squeal stop spray on my return and hit the front discs with it. Seems to be o.k now.
Whats the bedding in procedure ? I assume jumping on the brakes a few times hard ?
Brian.
Brian: first result here:
Pagid bed-in

·
Registered
841 Posts
CL pads ruin your paint because they are metal and vaporized metal embeds into your paint and oxidizes. Some of their compounds also eat through your rotors in a single weekend. Search for my threads on this. For me, these are race only.

Carbotech XP8 and XP10 are fine for combined street/track use. They make lots of dust, but you can wipe it off easily and your rotors last and last and last.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Metro, good advice.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts