The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

So here is the situation- I Have one kid in the house and she is leaving for college. And in stereotypical “mid-life crisis/empty nester,” fashion, I have been looking all over for a car that excites me...and the only one that does is the 2017 Lotus Evora 400. The problem is I live in New Orleans and the nearest certified servicer is over 300 miles away in Houston. So I am looking for some advice on how to make this practical, if possible. Are there some independent service shops near me that I am unaware of? Can engine related problems be taken to a Toyota dealership given the Camry engine? Any and all advice is welcomed as I am new to exotic/super cars.

Thanks

·
Loves to talk
1,108 Posts
I don't think you'll face any engine related issues with a new or newer 400. What you probably will have to deal with is shaking out any of the smaller niggles that are more likely to arise. I haven't had any issues that would have stopped me from delivering my car 300 miles for service (either routine or unexpected) but I don't know if I would have the patience and ability to deliver and pick up my car if the closest warranty service demanded a 600 mile round trip. Routine service would be very manageable since scheduled intervals are quite extended but any "surprises" could be a real PITA.

The Evora is perhaps the most exciting car for the money on the market today but I don't think (even if it was possible) that taking mine to the local Toyota dealer for service would satisfy my sense of propriety with such a serious machine. Lotus has so far not acted on expanding the service network to account for situations such as yours although I believe it has been discussed and independent warranty service has been set up elsewhere in the world. It would be a matter for discussion between you, Lotus and the selling dealer to work out an equitable solution but I'd want to see some solid guarantees before I could buy a new car I intended for routine use if facing such a situation.

Forging a sufficiently expansive network of committed dealers is probably the number one task facing Lotus' marketing in this country. Comparing Lotus to Ferrari, Lamborghini or McLaren as regards convenience for service doesn't put Lotus in a bad light. Comparing to Porsche or Chevrolet's network however does suggest certain inequities.

However, if you are prepared to deal with the exigencies if they arise, you'll find owning a new Evora is a delight and not a trial in day to day operation.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts