The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just picked up a Titanium Storm over the weekend, 25,500 miles on the odometer, and climbing :grin2:
I'm pretty stoked about the car, what an amazing experience. Love the direct feel of the car to the road, well, maybe not so much when on road imperfections, smooth curves, on/off ramps are quite a thrill. Would appreciate your help regarding the things below:

[1] the aftermarket CF shifter cover is loose. What do I need to watch out for when removing it? I want to see what the inside is like, to see if any fasteners are missing causing it to be loose. I can lift the front up about an inch or so.

[2] the button that select/de-selects air recirculation does not light up, so I've no idea if I'm getting fresh air in or not. What's involved in fixing this?

BTW, the AC surprisingly works pretty well. I've read that AC is a weak point of this car. Of course ambient temp was only 85 when I had AC on.

Thanks all!!!

·
Registered
323 Posts
If you can lift the console up, then ALL the fasteners are missing. It's only held in with two screws, one on each side, about and inch and a half from the floor, directly below the shift boot.

Don't know about the recirculate button.

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
So there are 2 screws(one on each side of the console) that hold it in place. With that said, with my CF center console I was only able to align one side up with the holes for it but enough to keep it in place. The holes were predrilled in mine. Not sure where yours is from but I would assume you have the holes as well. Just took a quick google search image and you can see where the silver screw is located for it below. Picture is for reference. Not my car;

Attachments

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmm, there are NO visible screws or screw holes on mine. The sides of the console/shifter cover is perfectly smooth. Maybe it's just sitting on the floor.
I'll take a closer look after work.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just noticed that some letters on the tire sidewalls are peeling off, like this "N" in Dunlop.
Is this indicative of anything serious, or just cosmetic?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Most likely the switch pack has a bad relay and the recir is not working. Also look in the front grill area and see if the intake mesh grills are blocked.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Maybe previous owner never drilled the holes in the CF piece? Not unheard of with aftermarket stuff.

Reactions: Darren Donovan

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So here's what mine looks like. No screw holes, and I can lift the front up about 1.5", the rear part of the console is not loose, can't be lifted up, because it's underneath the trim panel that houses the cigarette lighter.

·
Registered
120 Posts
So here's what mine looks like. No screw holes, and I can lift the front up about 1.5", the rear part of the console is not loose, can't be lifted up, because it's underneath the trim panel that houses the cigarette lighter.
]
If you look in the little cubby hole above the cigarette lighter, you’ll see a screw. Remove that screw. Then pull the cubby thing out. You’ll find two screws inside that, if you remove them, you’ll be able to pull the trim piece upward, with the cigarette lighter attached. Unplug it and you’ll be able to set the trim piece aside. This will allow the rear of your console to come up as well. The shift boot and e-brake lever will prevent the console from coming up all the way but if you’re wanting to just look underneath, that’s all you’ll need to do.

The console is normally held in place by the two screws previously mentioned. When you pull up on it, you’ll see two yellow plastic trim nutserts, one on each side. That’s what the screws screw into. Sounds like the manufacturer left it up to the installer to drill holes or go without.

On a side note, the oem cigarette lighter is a European version that doesn’t play well with North American cigarette lighter plugs...it’s dimensions are different. If that’s what you have and you want to use it, now would be a good time to remove the oem one and replace it. I bought mine on Amazon....just pop it in from the front and thread the nut onto the back side and tighten. I used wire cutters to cut the oem plug in half, leaving the terminals inside the plastic but creating two “plugs”, which just push on to the new spade connectors. Worked like a champ and my phone charger actually stays in the plug now. ?

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Ah the joys of a pre-owned Lotus.

Just remember that these cars have a lot of little things that people mess with, or modify, so you'll have to address a bunch of stuff. But in the end it's all fun :).

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you look in the little cubby hole above the cigarette lighter, you’ll see a screw. Remove that screw. Then pull the cubby thing out. You’ll find two screws inside that, if you remove them, you’ll be able to pull the trim piece upward, with the cigarette lighter attached. Unplug it and you’ll be able to set the trim piece aside. This will allow the rear of your console to come up as well. The shift boot and e-brake lever will prevent the console from coming up all the way but if you’re wanting to just look underneath, that’s all you’ll need to do.

The console is normally held in place by the two screws previously mentioned. When you pull up on it, you’ll see two yellow plastic trim nutserts, one on each side. That’s what the screws screw into. Sounds like the manufacturer left it up to the installer to drill holes or go without.

On a side note, the oem cigarette lighter is a European version that doesn’t play well with North American cigarette lighter plugs...it’s dimensions are different. If that’s what you have and you want to use it, now would be a good time to remove the oem one and replace it. I bought mine on Amazon....just pop it in from the front and thread the nut onto the back side and tighten. I used wire cutters to cut the oem plug in half, leaving the terminals inside the plastic but creating two “plugs”, which just push on to the new spade connectors. Worked like a champ and my phone charger actually stays in the plug now. ?
Thank you very much for the info. :up::clap: On my list to do is running a USB cable from the cigarette lighter to power my dash cam. Do you have the link to the part you bought from Amazon?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ah the joys of a pre-owned Lotus.

Just remember that these cars have a lot of little things that people mess with, or modify, so you'll have to address a bunch of stuff. But in the end it's all fun :).
No kidding, but like you said, it's fun. I've been through this with my Miatas.
Oh, and I found out last night that 1 of the 3 screws holding the panel under the hardtop is missing, Lol.

·
Premium Member
2005 Elise LSS Saffron Yellow
811 Posts
The CF center console: I also have one made by an unknown vendor. In my case the fitment is better, but whoever installed it couldn't be bothered to put the handbrake lever boot back on, nor to tighten the shifter and handbrake handles, so now I need a handbrake lever boot. The good news is that the CF stuff is easily shaped. If you want to fit things better, pull both seats out (I find a long ball-end allen helps for the rear bolts), then figure out what is going on there. Something is keeping the console from sitting correctly. A dremel tool with a grinding stone on it can be used to deepen the notch in the console where it goes over the footwell divider if needed. Likewise, a sander can be used to shorten a too-tall straight section on the bottom.

Once you've got it sitting where you want, then you get to drill some screw holes in the console and attach it to the shifter frame with shiny little Philips screws. I think maybe a machinists's awl would do to mark the inside of the console through the shifter hole once the boot is disconnected. While you're in there, do Stan's mod to stiffen the shifter up.

I am doing InfernoLotus's mod on the cigarette lighter socket and replacing it with a dual USB/voltmeter. Do have to decide which switched power wire to get power from for a switching relay for it, because it draws 30 ma no load, so I don't want to leave it on all the time. The good news is that the cubby the socket mounts in has a lot of room under it for things like relays. I had to enlarge the hole in the CF slightly to accept the dual USB socket.

Lol on the stick-on tire letters. Obviously somebody didn't know that real (sponsored) racecar tires have the brand stenciled on in white spray paint...

Mine's apart at the moment getting oil temp and pressure gauges fitted, changing oil coolers, going on a noise and rattle hunt, stiffening up the shifter base, and doing the USB socket mod (mostly to gain a voltmeter), but the weather's improving and I'm getting itchy to put it back on the road.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yet another question for you guys:

We have auto insurance with AAA, and they require an inspection at their facility before official approval. The drive is about 80 miles one way. Time to take the hardtop off I guess.
Did your insurer require this, or just AAA?

Thanks,

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Most likely the switch pack has a bad relay and the recir is not working. Also look in the front grill area and see if the intake mesh grills are blocked.
What's involved in diagnosing this? I'm not very knowledgeable about electronics, so will probably take it to a "good" mechanic to have it fixed. What needs to be disassembled, the front clam, the dash? If it costs too much, I may just leave it alone.

Thanks,

·
Registered
120 Posts
Thank you very much for the info. :up::clap: On my list to do is running a USB cable from the cigarette lighter to power my dash cam. Do you have the link to the part you bought from Amazon?
Here’s a link to a thread and my post is number 81...complete with photos and links to the Amazon parts. I did the cigarette lighter as part of a larger project. Let me know if you have any questions.

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f2...ur-elise-today-358841/index5.html#post5897624

1 - 20 of 29 Posts