The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Saffron Yellow 05 Elise Turbo
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I posted here a few weeks back about finding someone to give me a ride in an elise, I wound up purchasing one two weeks ago and I love it. This evening I was giving my buddy a ride, opened the trunk to disconnect the battery and show him the engine, he walked up front and I shut the trunk and locked my keys in it.

Thankfully it's at home so theres no emergency, but the car only came with one key so I'm stuck out. I searched the forum before posting, but it seems the preferred transfer of knowledge is via PM so the method of getting into the trunk isn't in the open. Would someone please PM me the method? Thanks in advance.

I'm absolutely loving the car so far, it behaved perfectly for a 1000 mile trip back from Florida. Only issue is I think the thermostat is stuck open so I might be tackling that in the near future.

·
Registered
14 Posts
A locksmith should be able to pop the trunk fairly easily, its most likely your only option other than getting they key bitting code from Lotus and just making a second key.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply! Searching the forum it looked like there was a quicker DIY fix without involving a locksmith. I'm obviously going to get a spare key cut now, but I have to get the trunk open first lol. It's an 05 elise in the USA (federal?) if that helps.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
A simple Google search on "lotus elise unlock trunk without key", will find the spatula solution. This is if your trunk still has the inside release still attached. Also your car would have to have the original slats.

Most of removed that security flaw.

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,598 Posts
You have to understand that we don't reveal security weaknesses based on a simple inquiry. Post a picture of your username, the date and your car (all in the same picture) and I'll personally help.

San

·
Registered
52 Posts
Agree with the above advice. My trunk lock and inside latch got jammed. Lotus mechanic forced the trunk up a little (flexible fiberglass...) which gave him a crack-open gap to slide in a long tool that will catch the inside safety latch or its cable. Worked beautifully. That’s what he was thought as part of Lotus mechanic training. Cheers.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all, I got it open!

Now I'm going to have some spares made so it's not a problem ever again.

·
Premium Member
520 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Lotus Elise S Ardent red
12 Posts
There is another cheap solution to this problem. I copied my key at the local locksmith, just the body of the key. Not the immobiliser (Elise S 2009). So I always have this duplicate key hidden inside the car. It can't start the engine, but it can open the trunk. So I always have it along for the ride.

·
Administrator
1,531 Posts
There is another cheap solution to this problem. I copied my key at the local locksmith, just the body of the key. Not the immobiliser (Elise S 2009). So I always have this duplicate key hidden inside the car. It can't start the engine, but it can open the trunk. So I always have it along for the ride.
Maybe locate it on the outside of the car since getting in the car has been a problem for some as well.

·
Registered
2010 Lotus Elise S Ardent red
12 Posts
Locating the key on the outside will give people access to the cabin of your car (it will unlock the door), if they find it. It is also more difficult to tape it under a wing, for instance, because it is easy to fall off with all the vibrations. Plus, I believe that most times the roof or a window or a door will be open, so in most cases you have access to the spare key located in the cabin. Of course, your suggestion might work for some people. Or you can have two spare keys. The cost is just 3 euros over here, let's say less than 4 USD per key.

·
Administrator
1,531 Posts
Plenty of difficult places on outside to hide. Then again owners get locked out even with key and fob.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts