The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

Still pretty new around here, got my 05 elise almost 3 weeks ago. The car is pretty much stock with 36,000 miles on it and seems to be in good shape, seems to run well, etc.

However, I really don't have much to compare it to. Never owned an Elise, never owned a Lotus, haven't had a car this old even in a while.

I called the local Lotus dealership, nice guy in service and said he would charge me $160 bucks, about 1.5 hours in labor (supposedly he said 1.5 hours in labor usually cost more than this) to put the car on the computer, put it on the lift, test drive it, and give it a good thorough once over.

On one hand, this might be nice piece of mind for only 160 dollars and a reputable dealership. I'm thinking if they find SMALL things, they may fix them while they have it on the lift. So that'd be awesome if they help me out like that.

If they find nothing, I just paid 160 bucks for piece of mind and nothing else.

If they find something, this could get superrrr expensive and sad.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

P.s. I'm in Fort Lauderdale florida, if you're interested in the name of the exact dealer, PM me.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
No brainer. Do it.

As noted, would make sense to do before the buy, but peace of mind for $160? No brainer!

·
Registered
831 Posts
Does the $160 include an ECU dump? If so, it would be a bargain. That would tell you pretty much everything about the engine use habits of the previous owners. The inspection, if at a good dealer, will probably tell you if all the little recall items were done, and check over your oil lines (or at least it should).

·
He's on fire!
3,086 Posts
Guess I have the opposite opinion. If nothing seems wrong with it, why bother? On the other hand, if you know absolutely nothing about cars... I suppose it would be ok if you've got $160 burning a hole in your pocket.

·
I Have Commitment Issues
2,911 Posts
I'm trying to wrap my head around this.....you want to spend $160 on something that isn't broken or showing any signs of being broken? What exactly are you hoping to find? It seems like your looking for a problem.

Theres warning lights on your dash for a reason. Take the $160 buy a jack and ramps. Take the under panels off and check your suspension to make sure nothing is loose. Then use the those tools to do your own oil change and you just made your money back.

What's the point in an ecu dump now? The guy already bought the car. If the car was over revved he'll feel a loss of power among other tell-tale signs.

If you think something is off post here and tell us whats going on. Most likely we have experienced it.

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
I don't get it either. You already bought the car so I'm not sure what the logic is. I do the maintenance on my car myself and I *used to* take my car to the dealer for something (usually an oil change) once a year because then they would inspect the car at the same time. I no longer do that though. I would vote don't bother and take it to the dealer for an oil change when it's due and let them look it over. If it's a cool place, you can talk directly to the mechanic. Last time I picked up my car, the service advisor didn't say ****. I saw the mechanic and he came over to talk to me. He told me I should jump in a new car and drive it to feel their shifter because mine was stiff and I may want to change the cables. Other than that, he's only told me things based on mileage.

·
Premium Member
5,176 Posts
I think $160. is a bargain! It would put a set of professional eyes on her to see if you have any issues, ease your mind of any issues you may think are there, establish a relationship with someone who will know the car and reduce troubleshooting time in the future, and re-affirm that the car you bought was as great of a deal in the top condition you thought it was. Pretty good buy for $160.00!!!

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Or you can send me the $160 because I am in fact, a Nigerian prince.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Getting an ECU dump on a car you already own would be analagous to having your wife introduce you to all of her ex's.

·
Registered
742 Posts
The price is good BUT I don't understand the issue. If you already purchased it then your stuck with it. "If it's not broke don't fix it." I would spend the 160 on routine maintence over just throwing your money away for someone to say, "Yep she's all good." Or do the shifter mod if it hasn't had it done yet.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
If they find small problems, and fix them while its on the lift.... They will charge you for the fix. Your dreaming if you think your going to get free maintenence for that particular $160. Any additional work will require additional money.

·
3Xtothe0[]
489 Posts
On one hand, this might be nice piece of mind for only 160 dollars and a reputable dealership. I'm thinking if they find SMALL things, they may fix them while they have it on the lift. So that'd be awesome if they help me out like that.

I hate to say it but its not really the piece of mind that you want. You should always be vigilant about unforseen things happening to your car and never have piece of mind. I would not trust someone else to tell me everything is fine and do not worry, thats usually when things go wrong.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts