The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey yall. I just purchased an 05 Elise with 35k miles. I live about 20 minutes south of Madison WI. Just checking in to get a pulse on the Lotus scene around me. I am hoping to meet some other owners and attend some meet-ups. Anyone close to the Madison area?

Kind regards,

KMB

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Hey yall. I just purchased an 05 Elise with 35k miles. I live about 20 minutes south of Madison WI. Just checking in to get a pulse on the Lotus scene around me. I am hoping to meet some other owners and attend some meet-ups. Anyone close to the Madison area?

Kind regards,

KMB
Welcome, I dont know how active the Madison area is... aka, I dont think there is much of a Madison area lotus presence... however you're still in a decent area that isn't too far from where most of us are in the SE part of the state.

there is a cars & coffee in Waukesha that has its first season's show on April 15th (maybe 45 minutes east of you?) that should likely have a few lotus owners there if the weather holds up). I'll be there with my Elise if there isn't any fresh salt on the roads

you kinda missed the active glory years of the lotus owners group in northern IL & southern WI that seemed to hit a peak a few years ago & has died off since. but many of us are still around, just laying a little lower nowadays. :shrug:

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
These are brilliant cars; loads of fun. Congrats.

Note to new Elise & Exige Owners:

1. These cars have large (i.e. dangerous) blind spots. Multivex mirrors are NLA, but RLS (Really Light Stuff) offers very good tape-on replacements.

2. The horns are way too weak (quiet). There’s an inverse relationship: smaller the car, louder the horn needs to be.

Get something such as a Stebel Nautilus.

Stock: “Excuse me”

Stebel: “HONK! LOOK OUT!”

Remove the stock horn; replace with louder.

(I drive with my finger on the horn button in any traffic. Iffy situations, my headlights are on.

Stay to the left of traffic, i.e. avoid passing on the right if you can.

Stop way behind trucks, SUVs, etc. Some have blindspots >50’. )

3. The early cars came with misaimed and dim headlights. If you drive at night, convert to HIDs. While better than stock halogen bulbs are available, HIDs throw more light. Stay around 5000k.

4. Ensure your car has had the work required by the recall for oil line fittings done. You could lose an engine and/or spin in your own oil.

5. The best transmission lube I’ve found is Redline MT-90 plus a little Power Punch Extreme Gear Oil Additive. (Note that it takes two changes to get rid of the previous lube.)

a) Early cars have wobbly shift towers. Look up Stan’s Mod (bolt and spacer; http://www.billswebspace.com/ShifterReinforcement.pdf) and

Re-Enforcer long thru bolts that terminate under car and tie down the tower:
https://www.inokinetic.com/lotus/re-enforcer?category=Transmission

These (lube, mods) make a huge change in shifting.

6. As per some engine builders on these sites, wait AT LEAST 20 minutes after coolant has reached full operating temp before engaging cam switchover.

7. Rear toe-links can loosen and break with disastrous results. You can check tq periodically, or use Nordlock washers. Best is conversion to better engineered brace, such as BOE’s for one example.

8. While under the car with panel off, look around for hoses and wires chafing their way to failure. That’s how this was found:
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f311/cooling-ticking-timebomb-how-your-cooling-u-tube-47232/

9. The stock radiators are prone to leaking where the end caps meet the metal part. Keep an eye on this. Most of us use single-pass all-aluminum radiators.

10. When your wheel well liner comes loose, skip the lame plastic rivet and use Well-Nuts instead.

11. Life will be better if you disable the auto-arming alarm function on the earlier cars. You won’t have to press a button to start the car. Instructions:

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f320/remote-key-fob-immobilizer-misc-alarm-programming-70940/

12. These cars cannot be left off a Battery Tender for weeks at a time. Unless dead batteries are a particular joy of yours. Buy one right away. There are numerous threads here about which ppl use and like.

Some on this site are a bit obsessed with hockey pucks for lifting the car. Don’t use these. Too hard and slippery, generally, and too small a surface area. Use a piece of wood, as your hero does.

13. Visit the Uber Thread

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f3/elise-exige-uberpost-read-everything-you-need-know-here-25131/

14. Most parts on the car are made by Toyota and others, so buying things like a/c compressors, engine parts, etc. is wildly expensive when purchased thru Lotus.

Toyota dealers, auto parts stores are way less expensive.

-----

Plus:

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f101/how-bleed-brakes-241138/

How to Search:

For future reference: Don't use the search on this site. Simply use Google and end the search text with "site:lotustalk.com". E.g.
Transmission Fluid change what bolt site:lotustalk.com no space betw site:lotustalk.com

·
Happy To Be Here
814 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Until recently, I was in Fond du Lac and would lead some spirited drives. My favorite one was down in the Spring Green/New Glarus area, not far from you. Keep an eye on this section as Brian might become the new host of spirited drives. Mat is right that the area was more active a few years ago and even more active before I bought my car in 2013. That doesn’t mean you can’t have fun with mixed car groups though. If you’re interested in some of my routes, I can shoot them your way in an email and you can test out that new vehicle.

Also, post up some pictures!!!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Welcome! Where are you located at? I'm in the Janesville area. There's a few Lotus cars running around in Madison, but most seem to not be active on the forums.

We usually make it out to cars and coffee in Lake Mills most months, and occasionally do an impromptu drive out west of Mt Horeb in the hills. Track days at Blackhawk Farms too!

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
Welcome to ownership! I'm north of Milwaukee a bit in West Bend, so not exactly close, but I do try to make it to a C&C or cruise night here and there.

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
Seems like there aren't too many of us.
Busy lives keep a lot of us from the weekend gatherings. My wife won't let me be an absentee father. :(

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Congrats! Milwaukee here...

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm in Minnesota, twin cities. I feel I might be the only elise owner around here as well haha. If you ever come this way, shoot me a PM, I'm glad to meet! Even if you're only coming half way for any reason, like going to Eua Claire for some quarter mile drags at Rock Falls or something, I'd be happy to come meet you.

·
Happy To Be Here
814 Posts
I'm in Minnesota, twin cities. I feel I might be the only elise owner around here as well haha. If you ever come this way, shoot me a PM, I'm glad to meet! Even if you're only coming half way for any reason, like going to Eua Claire for some quarter mile drags at Rock Falls or something, I'd be happy to come meet you.
I’m up in Warroad, MN, now and I’ll be heading the MNCEC show that’s on June 30th. I was selected to be in the show, so look for my gray Evora, I’ll keep an eye out for an Elise if you can make it!

Otherwise, I’ll probably be trying to make it to car shows in the TRF and Bemidji area.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts