The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back into a Lotus after being out since I owned a new Europa a looong time ago.The Esprit is a 2002 with the final edition suspension added.

Suspension
- Upon arrival the car is setup really low. It is so low that the front lower black rubber valance and the lower front body ducting (after the rubber valance is forced back) prevent even getting it up the ramp on my lift without scraping. All four tires are well into the wheel wells. Further, alignment is off since insides of rear tires are really worn.
- With the final edition suspension,
-- what is the ride front and rear and where is it measured from
-- what are the alignment numbers for that ride height
- If a lower ride height has become the norm, what is it and what are the associated alignment numbers.

Horn
- Steering wheel has been repalced with a smaller steering wheel from another Lotus. However, horn doesn't work (will need to for safety insp). Pulled center piece and no wires are connected to horn button.
- Will pull wheel and look for horn wires in steering column but what are the colors of the two wires that I connect to the horn button

Cats
- Car arrived with CEL on
- After running for 5 minutes and heating up, started getting loud metal clanking noise from rear
- Narrowed noise down to drivers side cat
- Ordered JAE high flow cats; any trick to installing
- any tricks for emissions, OBDII, O2 sensors I should be aware of

Looks like a great forum with lots of good data!

Thanx much
Mark

·
Registered
224 Posts
Black I believe is the ground and the red is for the horn.

The JAE cats are a really easy install and you will be happy with the results.

Suspension I do not have but I have to assume you just need to adjustthe suspension up from its lowest setting.
Did the car come with a tool?

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Ride height is measured with driver and passenger and half tank of fuel.

V8 should be:

Front- 170mm (about 6 1/2") to the front crossmember

Rear- 164mm (about 6 1/4") to the chassis hoop.

If you are too low with stock rims/tires and Lotus Final edition Bilstein shocks/Eibach springs, then I think you would be the first we've ever heard of that happening with. If it is actually too low, I'd be looking for some other modifications to have been done.

On the horn, if I'm not mistaken, there is only one wire and it is green.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cats

Pulled the CATS. Drivers side CAT cell in pieces. Pass side ok.

However, whomever had the O2 sensors disconnected, reconnected wrong, so no surprise on the check engine light. One side had RE in the rear and POST in the front, and the other side had POST in the rear and RE in the front.

New CATS from JAE should arrive tomorrow. What is the correct way to install O2 sensors? Where is RE and where is POST?

Still cannot find a horn wire in the sterring column, someo ne must have pulled bundle. Although I could be msssing it. Any idea where horn wire wire would come thru the front firewall?

Thanx
Mark

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
You also need to be sure you have the pre and post on the correct sides. There is no "bundle" in the column. The stock set-up has a rotary connector for the air bag and the horn wiring. If you do not have the air bag your SIR system must have been disabled or you should see the warning light. Without the rotary connector you don't have the wiring for a horn button (at least not for the horn pad). Maybe there is some other button rigged up somewhere? Depending on what State you are registered in you NEED that airbag and the SIR must be active. On start-up the SIR warning light is supposed to light up and then go out indicating the system is alive and passed the self-test. If it never lights the system is disabled (not alive or the bulb is bunt out). If the light never goes out the system is alive but non-functioning. The '02 also has a passenger air bag. This system is not "smart". The passenger air bag is active no matter if you have a passenger or not but will not function if the warning light is constantly on.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Horn

Thanx much.

Clearly, the rotary part you mention was removed. I have been looking to see just where that part connected in hopes of finding the horn wire. Any idea what the rotary connector connected to, and where that connection is located? From there, I'll create a horn button until I can find the components to make the Nardi horn button active.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I just updated my car with the Elise Wheel, which has a functional airbag, but all thats in there is the connection to the Airbag itself and the wires to the horn.

It has a slip-over style connector but for the life of me I cant remember the color of the wire. Not sure how or why they would remove the rotary plastic plate sure its not underneath whatever hub is attached to the column now?

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
If the tires are directional, you can still rotate them left to right by asking the tire shop to dismount and flip them before remounted the tires on the rims. Then switch sides to get more life out of the tires (if they are not already completely toast).

But definitely get the camber fixed and raise the car back up some. Someone makes an adjustable arm to adjust camber.

And how about some pics of the car so we can see what you are talking about?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Suspension:
- see pics for ride height - 4+" vs 6.6" - too low?? - what is best ride height and do you use book alighnement specs for that height
- rear wheels worn on insdie bought new rears - will have aligned at new ride height

Horn:
- found horn wire and cut airbag wires buried around sterring column; all components for Nardi/Momo wheel not there so a horn button temporarily installed below bottom leather steering column cover

CATS:
- JAE CATS installed; OBDII SW from Peter intalled on laptop and only code was P0411; cleared it; did the idle reset process with the throttle and the various runs until the fan went on and off; no cockpit lights too include chk eng;will chk OBDII codes once car cools

Lotus of Plano...Plan to have them
- do an A Svc
- change the belts
- align the ar at the best ride height
- anything else I should ask them to do

Appreciate all the help
Mark

Attachments

·
Registered
224 Posts
Wow!
That thing looks slammed. Wheels are so buried in the wells never seen that before. Seems super low to me. Do you bottom out constantly?

You will love the JAE cats the sound is perfect.

Love that color BTW

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
So the final edition spring/dampener suspension can be lowered that much, or did they put in some shorter springs?

It looks terrible that low, so I now know why you want to fix that.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Seems way to low to me too. The top of each strut isn't fitting correctly into frame so will have Lotus raise and refit struts. What is a good (lower) ride height? The stock 6.7" seems high.

Since I just got car, have not received title from previous owner so first drive will be temp plates to dealer.

What else other than Svc A, alignment, and belts should I have them do?

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
That's weird that you don't have the title. You should get that when you fork over the cash, otherwise you don't own the car. I had a friend that bought a '88 Esprit 10 years ago, and it didn't have clear title. The bank came and got it at night, and he had to buy it back at auction.

I am really curious how the strut does not fit correctly into the frame. Do you have pics?

I am in the process of buying a 1998, and it's going to Viking for a run through. Here's my list of things for them to evaluate made from hours and hours of reading different forums:

Gearbox
- Inspect for leaks at the half shafts, and repair
- Replace clutch? 26K easy miles…
- Throw out bearing
- Check synchro’s and repair if necessary
- Flush Clutch Fluid
Engine Cooling
- Radiator upgrade
- Fan upgrade (3 11” Spal fans)
- Hose upgrade to silicon
- Thermostat
- Water pump check and replace if leaking or blade issues
- Coolant cap replace
- Upgrade coolant header tank
- BarsLeak?
Engine
- Compression test
- Leak down test
- Test anti-freeze in the oil
- Check internals by removing the pan
- ECU dump
Turbos
- Waste gate checks
- BOV
- Turbo bearings
Fuel System
- Fuel filter
- Fuel pumps
- Check for tank corrosion/debris
A/C
- Check the pressure readings
- Oil refill
Suspension
- Steering rack is firm
- Flush the power steering
- Bushings
- FE springs/shocks
Brakes
- Pads
- Rotor thickness
- Fluid change
Exhaust
- Check catalytic converters
- Replace catalytic converters, if necessary

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Yea, that looks whack.

I am not an expert on the FE suspension. Can someone else chime in if those springs look like actual, unmolested FE springs?

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Something is definitely not right. There's no way to get the Bilstein/Eibach setup that low and if the springs were seated correctly in the perches it would be even lower.

I'll bet the springs were cut (if they are the correct ones) in an effort to make it lower. If so, they are ruined...

Yes, go with the ride heights listed in the manual as close as possible unless you have extensive experience in suspension setup.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanx

Appreciate data and info provided by forum to get my 'new' 2002 purchase up to speed. Here's what's been done so far:

- CATS - replaced with JAE high flow
- Horn - alternative wiring to horn with small non-airbag wheel
- suspension - raised car literally inches with Bilstein Eibach setup to get back to spec height
- new rear tires due to misalignment wear
- 4 wheel alignmment
- 'A' Svc plus fluids (Lotus Plano said car did not need B or C or belt service)
- throttle setting - moved 'tang' in right spot, and now have 100 TPS
- tint removed from windows to pass state insp (note: if you need to do this heat gun works great)

Still to do:
- killer...have to waste money to get new emissions air injection pump to address P0411 OBDII code...Lotus Plano siad they trouble shot to pump vs valve
- only 3mm left on rear pads (talked to Carbotech & they recommend CT491L XP8...said 1521 and AP6 too soft)
- mod to keep throttle 'tang' from moving

Thanx much
Mark

1 - 20 of 30 Posts