The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a year old Elise with 2.5 years of full warranty remaining, with 7 k miles. About a week ago, there is a terrible buzz that developed. This buzz is coming from somewhere around the passenger dash/window/front area of the car. It ONLY happens at 3100-3400 rpm.

I can hear the buzz in highest gear on the freeway. If I go to 4000rpm, then it goes away. ALso in the city, while accelerating, in 2nd, 3rd, 4th gears, I can hear this buzz that is there in the aforementioned RPM.

Can someone help? :( It is taking the fun out of driving the car.

·
00 MRS - 2ZZ NA
1,228 Posts
You're driving a stripped down go-kart. Unless somebody else already diagnosed the problem & fixed it...I bet it's a sound contributed by resonance from those RPM's rotfl . Ahh...the science of engine notes...

·
Banned
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're driving a stripped down go-kart. Unless somebody else already diagnosed the problem & fixed it...I bet it's a sound contributed by resonance from those RPM's rotfl . Ahh...the science of engine notes...
I have had the car since new for the last 11 months. I am aware of the sound. It isn't much of a go cart, when compared to my Atom. :) Yes it does sound like resonance. However, the sound was never there, and just started happening a week ago. Thus I am baffled:confused::confused:

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
I had a "buzz" up front that turned out to be a missing nut. The nut was missing from a stud where the front clam attaches to the chassis. Take a look under the front access body panel. Check for loose or missing hardware. Look for spurious debris that may have found its way into that area.

Finding loose screws, nuts, bolts is not uncommon :tadts:

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
It could also be a loose bolt or nut that holds the dash. I current have a problem in that area, and as soon as I get some time, am going to take off the passenger dash access panel and go looking for it.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
It could also be a loose bolt or nut that holds the dash. I current have a problem in that area, and as soon as I get some time, am going to take off the passenger dash access panel and go looking for it.
I had a rattle that sounded like a loose relay under the dash -- or maybe my radar detector bouncing on the windshield before I got my V1 Mount from tesprit. :shrug:

Turned out to be the visor on the driver's side, vibrating against the WS. Now I'm in the habit of leaving a pinky's width between visor and WS...and no rattle.

OTOH, it's under warranty, let the dealer find it. :rolleyes:

·
Banned
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OTOH, it's under warranty, let the dealer find it. :rolleyes:
That is what I am thinking. Only issue I have is, given that the buzz is occurring only while driving, I am not very comfortable with having the dealer monkeys drive the car.

Any thoughts?

I am in Camarillo, CA and my closest dealer is Silver Star.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
ironman:
I have a the same "buzz" behind the dash (passenger side). I was told it was the nature of the beast. If you find out what it is, please let me know.

SilverStar's top Lotus mechanic is Richie. He's one of the "goodguys"! I highly recommend him!

BTW: Don't forget the June 1st Lotus Drive and breakfast! It will be VERY CLOSE to you live! I'll post the time, place, route very soon! Keep your eye on LotusTalk!

-Hal

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Try a quick look in the speaker, could be something in there. I solved a noise problem that way once, and only takes a second. Good luck finding what ever it is.

Kevin

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
If it is tied to engine RPM, then you don't need to be driving it.
Have a trusty assistant hold the RPM where the noise is evident so you can investigate.

Get a stethoscope with a tube on the end instead of the cold round thing.
In fact your hand would probably work, touching the parts to see when the noise goes away.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Get the passneger to locate the sound, while you drive. I had an annoying rattle, but it was from a accessable part of the dash, so a peice of tape fixed it.

·
Premium Member
528 Posts
this may not help, but i had a similar buzz when i first got the car. it turned out to be the vin sticker thing. they fixed it, but now, it's been back. :) it is the nature of the beast,...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts