The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am typing away at my desk today and a co-worker tells me to go outside and take care of something with a literally sick look on his face... I just had a feeling and asked him "How ran my damn car over?". He simply said just go take care of it man. I walked outside to find this...

Not a good day. A mechanic was taking a brand new 2013 Chevy Equinox off of the delivery truck and in a rush to go home at 5pm came flying backwards off of the truck, turned the wheel and ran up over my car... sadly I had just pulled my car to the back of the parking lot an hour before and the mechanic that ran my car over said "Why are you parking your car way back here?" I somewhat jokingly said "So you guys won't run it over backing out of your bays". I actually know the mechanic well and I know he wouldn't do it on purpose and he was actually a lot more tore up over it than I was. I am still by no means happy about it but **** happens.... just sucks especially after only enjoying the car for a few weeks.

Another sad thing is that the car was MINT. Just a tiny barely visible hair line scratch on two places of the body and now this...

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
Awww, dude if it makes any difference, we all feel for you! Sorry.

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
I wonder if you need a new front clam?

Seriously that sucks bro. You were just on your honeymoon with your Elise.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
It might be totaled-- frame damage.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
yikes that will be an expensive fix unfortunately. Was the equinox damaged at all?

I love the color of your car. Im not sure I have seen that hue in the wild.

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
New clam? Definitely. No doubt. Totaled? I can't imagine it being totaled.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Definitely not totaled. That really does suck though, man. I too have felt the pain of replacing the front clam. Unfortunately, I was the idiot that outran my brakes...(in a church parking lot of all places. LOL, who knew curbs could jump out in front of you like that?!). You're lucky, that really doesn't look like horrific damage. It'll still be expensive to replace... but it could have been muuuuuuuch worse.

Good luck with the repairs.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Same thing happened to me in 2006. Had it for 3 weeks and it cost roughly 12k. New headlight assy., new front clam, new crash structure, labor + paint. I don't think it's totaled unless the prices have gone up a lot and your car value is real low.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Same thing happened to me in 2006. Had it for 3 weeks and it cost roughly 12k. New headlight assy., new front clam, new crash structure, labor + paint. I don't think it's totaled unless the prices have gone up a lot and your car value is real low.
How long did it take to get the new clam and complete repairs? Just curious.
I've heard some say it takes forever to get a replacement clam.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys I really appreciate the kind words. You know since I have been on here I have been across a lot of posts of peoples Elise with the front end in similar shape and always feel absolutely horrible for them thinking of how bad it would be to be in that situation. Unfortunately now I know and have that much more of an understanding of how bad it really sucked for you guys.

One promising thing is that our dealership is covering 100% of the repair costs and gave me a 2013 Impala until it's fixed (its not my car and I have another daily driver but still better than nothing).. I just didn't tell them that clams are pretty much on back order right now. I guess another thing is that it happened close to winter time so if it does take a while, at least its not on the best months to drive. Although I was really looking forward to some nice fall drives.

Repair wise I will not settle for less than a complete front clam. This car was literally PERFECT. I knew of only two small scratches on the entire car and it had never been in so much as a fender bender before.

Does anyone know if you can still get the clear lotus protector film that goes over the front of the clam? That's one thing that I am also worried about them being able to find. I really dread being overly picky with them fixing each and every square nanometer, but it was perfect before and it will be like that or better after they fix it.

·
Registered
488 Posts
It doesn't look that bad, really. Lots of people have taken off the front clam and have had it repaired. And since it's going to be claimed on your insurance, you can likely do some modifications to it, like get rid of the seams or something different.

Its a bit of a hassle, but an Elise without clam damage, is an Elise that has never seen the light of day.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Its a bit of a hassle, but an Elise without clam damage, is an Elise that has never seen the light of day.
Now that I am starting to see minor repairs on cracked clams as somewhat normal, I am starting to believe somewhat in this statement. Kinda makes me feel a little better actually.

Hopefully the insurance and the bodyshop will go smoothly. If it winds up taking a while to get parts in I would rather them just keep it for as long as they possibly need since i won't be driving it in the winter anyways.

Are the headlamps going to be rough to find too? I haven't had the best of luck looking up parts for these cars yet. Still way to new to them to know where exactly to look for quality stuff.

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
My biggest advice is to set all these expectations up front with the insurance agents and the body shop. Let them know before they start you are expecting nothing short of perfection. If they balk at all take it somewhere else. Better to gauge their reaction up front. I found a fantastic body shop in m area this way and have given them lots of business over the years (fortunately some was fun/cosmetic).

Set expectations early and often.

Oh, and another sending sympathy your way.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
That does not look good and sorry to see this. You can get the OEM star-shield. However before anything you need to check for other damages under the clamshell.

Also, was the rim damaged too?

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Sorry to see that damage. I feel for you.

I used to find it surprising that anytime someone's car is damaged photos appear immediately on Lotus Talk. If it happened to me I think I'd want to crawl into a hole and sulk.

Thanks for posting the shots. Hopefully it will be just the clam.

·
Registered
935 Posts
How long did it take to get the new clam and complete repairs? Just curious.
I've heard some say it takes forever to get a replacement clam.
Took over 6 weeks but it was as good as new when done, I'd imagine it would take quite a bit longer now.
This is the best time to get the new one reinforced @ the chin and adding a splitter so when it's all together, it'll be stronger.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts